Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd without Barrett > Pink Floyd without Waters > Gilmour without Pink Floyd > Pink Floyd with Barrett > Waters without Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd was at their best post Syd Barrett when Roger Waters was the driving force for most of their music, but Waters needed the rest of the band more than the rest of the band needed him.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
RE: Pink Floyd
It was such a clash of egos though. A lot of creative forces wanting to go different directions. I agree with you about the "best" Pink Floyd phase. Pretty much no disputing that.
(August 18, 2021 at 9:21 am)popeyespappy Wrote: Pink Floyd without Barrett > Pink Floyd without Waters > Gilmour without Pink Floyd > Pink Floyd with Barrett > Waters without Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd was at their best post Syd Barrett when Roger Waters was the driving force for most of their music, but Waters needed the rest of the band more than the rest of the band needed him.

The Wall should have been released as a single LP with all the Roger Waters navel gazing cut out. Okay, we get it, you miss your dad who died at Anzio in Black '44. The Final Cut was a whole album of that shit.
(August 18, 2021 at 9:24 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: It was such a clash of egos though. A lot of creative forces wanting to go different directions. I agree with you about the "best" Pink Floyd phase. Pretty much no disputing that.

[Image: 31076665_982570481919928_6027897870206631936_n.jpg]
[Image: floyd-the-barber-mens-t-shirt-30.jpg?v=1506436530]

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 20, 2022 at 11:53 am)LinuxGal Wrote: [Image: 31076665_982570481919928_6027897870206631936_n.jpg]

Six of these bands are not like the others.  Six of these bands just don't belong.
(August 18, 2021 at 9:21 am)popeyespappy Wrote: Pink Floyd without Barrett > Pink Floyd without Waters > Gilmour without Pink Floyd > Pink Floyd with Barrett > Waters without Pink Floyd

So, where does Syd's solo material lie in this little opening inequality?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(December 20, 2022 at 11:53 am)LinuxGal Wrote:
(August 18, 2021 at 9:24 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: It was such a clash of egos though. A lot of creative forces wanting to go different directions. I agree with you about the "best" Pink Floyd phase. Pretty much no disputing that.

[Image: 31076665_982570481919928_6027897870206631936_n.jpg]

Rush doesn't belong in that grouping. 1) Musically much more interesting and 2) they ddn't have ego problems leading to dissolution. Kansas had some musically interesting moments for me as well. The others, chuck 'em into a galvanized tub and set 'em adrift in the Sargasso Sea.

As for PF, the only three albums I care for are DSotM, WYWH, and Animals. They're all brilliant to me, even if I burnt out on them as a young man.

(December 20, 2022 at 10:12 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: As for PF, the only three albums I care for are DSotM, WYWH, and Animals. They're all brilliant to me, even if I burnt out on them as a young man.

Yes, Animals is their best one, and DSotM is amazing, but overplayed.  Obscured by Clouds and Meddle are worthy, but they have a little filler.   The Wall could have been the best single platter LP Floyd ever put out, but I say that about the Beatles' White Album too.
(December 20, 2022 at 11:03 pm)LinuxGal Wrote:
(December 20, 2022 at 10:12 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: As for PF, the only three albums I care for are DSotM, WYWH, and Animals. They're all brilliant to me, even if I burnt out on them as a young man.

Yes, Animals is their best one, and DSotM is amazing, but overplayed.  Obscured by Clouds and Meddle are worthy, but they have a little filler.   The Wall could have been the best single platter LP Floyd ever put out, but I say that about the Beatles' White Album too.

Right, The Wall suffered the same fate of most doubles, being overstuffed with filler (not to mention Waters's self-pity, which makes me nauseous). WYWH is actually my favorite Floyd, with Animals a close second. Both feature long instrumental segments that are musically very interesting to me. "Dogs" can still torque me out of shape at times, though that whole album is great commentary on the human condition, to me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pink helicopter. Brian37 16 1479 April 25, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Favorite Pink Floyd Album & Song vulcanlogician 28 6853 December 2, 2017 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: Haipule