Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I have dialed 911?
Should I have dialed 911?
Several months ago I was walking on the street, minding my own business.  I was in the area of the street that is part of the curb, the little off-white area of the street where the curb meets the road.  A car drove approached (I was walking facing the traffic, common advice, at least as I understand it), and a man opened his window and extended his head and shoulders out of the moving car and hit me in the head with his fist.  I believe that he did so, because, he recognized me as being a transgender female.  I wasn't injured, but, his wack smarted.  I decided to call the police non-emergency number; it took the police where I live a full 10 minutes to send a single officer, and then, only after I called the non-emergency two more times, as the car continued to approach me.  (I think that they were afraid that they were going to be arrested.)  The police never called me back; I just saw a patrol car in the area, which, I believe was in response to the incident, although, I am not sure.

Of course, if it happened once, it can happen again; been thinking about what I should do next time?
RE: Should I have dialed 911?
(August 25, 2021 at 9:37 am)Jehanne Wrote: Several months ago I was walking on the street, minding my own business.  I was in the area of the street that is part of the curb, the little off-white area of the street where the curb meets the road.  A car drove approached (I was walking facing the traffic, common advice, at least as I understand it), and a man opened his window and extended his head and shoulders out of the moving car and hit me in the head with his fist.  I believe that he did so, because, he recognized me as being a transgender female.  I wasn't injured, but, his wack smarted.  I decided to call the police non-emergency number; it took the police where I live a full 10 minutes to send a single officer, and then, only after I called the non-emergency two more times, as the car continued to approach me.  (I think that they were afraid that they were going to be arrested.)  The police never called me back; I just saw a patrol car in the area, which, I believe was in response to the incident, although, I am not sure.

Of course, if it happened once, it can happen again; been thinking about what I should do next time?

You were assaulted - of COURSE you should have call the emergency number.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It's a good question; yes, I was assaulted, but, I was not injured.  Is that an emergency, as far as the police are concerned?
Sorry that happened, Jehanne.
First of all, I'm sorry you even have to experience such bigotry and viciousness in a world where people absolutely know better than to behave as though they have lost absolute touch with their humanity.

There is no excuse for such barbaric behavior, and it makes me want to murder them or just squirrel myself away from all the unbearable insanity.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(August 25, 2021 at 9:43 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: Sorry that happened, Jehanne.

Thank you; I am just glad that it wasn't worse!!
I understand it's a tough call since you weren't really injured, but consider that this maniac is almost certainly going to really injure someone at some point or cause an accident. If it were me, I'd call 911 next time because this jerk needs dealing with, both for your own safety and that of others (including his).

He cain't learn nuthin' if he's dead, as they sometimes say around these parts.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
A good deal depends on where it happened.

In Mayberry it' s 911. In Detroit it' s a story in the bar.

Police resources are limited. In high crime areas the dispatchers are forced to triage the calls. 

Sorry you had a run in with an asshole. It happens.
(August 25, 2021 at 9:48 am),Mister Agenda Wrote: I understand it's a tough call since you weren't really injured, but consider that this maniac is almost certainly going to really injure someone at some point or cause an accident. If it were me, I'd call 911 next time because this jerk needs dealing with, both for your own safety and that of others (including his).

He cain't learn nuthin' if he's dead, as they sometimes say around these parts.

Over the years, I have come into close proximity with several dozen or so police officers (say, at a convenience store, or they drive by me on the street early in the morning); most ignore me completely, but, a few have smirked at me, a couple of have stopped to gawk (somewhat intimating, but, thank goodness for their car cams!!), and one or two were actively laughing at me (or, trying to).  For this reason, I have been somewhat reluctant to call upon them.
Sorry that happened, glad your weren't  seriously hurt. Sidewalks might be preferred.

I think I asked you once about your perception of acceptance in town. Would this incident change your response?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  We should have a forum event Foxaèr 9 726 August 31, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  911 + 20 onlinebiker 49 2560 September 13, 2021 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Should poor people have kids? BrokenQuill92 78 4942 November 29, 2019 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  The headline should have been... John V 8 382 October 5, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Solipsism threads should only have one post. Gawdzilla Sama 14 1236 August 11, 2018 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Joods
  My checkbook balanced went it should not have. Jehanne 2 366 November 7, 2017 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If you have an android phone you should read this. #5 is the most shocking. ErGingerbreadMandude 7 1946 December 18, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Should I have posted a poll with the car tow thread? And, if so, am I a jerk? Whateverist 24 2829 May 3, 2016 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  what should i have done in this situation? Rextos 20 2477 February 26, 2016 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Movies That Should Have Been Epic Gambit 131 42328 March 1, 2013 at 3:34 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious