Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much is a dollar really worth?
How much is a dollar really worth?
Tonight I was at Cub Foods picking up some packages and got it in my head to buy some coffee just for something different. The tag on the shelf said $4.99, but it rang up at $5.99, which I thought might have been right, given that it was a special "double caffeine" blend. Still, I felt guilty at $4.99, I wasn't ready to swallow $5.99, so I went to customer service and managed to get that dollar off, largely, I think, because customer service made a mistake. The ad said "select varieties" but she kind of glossed over that part. I got mine, that's good enough for me. But I wasted 20-30 minutes in the process.

However, two other parts of my trip were a little more sketchy. I bought an Echo Show 8 for $70, but then a few weeks later it was selling for $64 for a limited time. So I got it in my head to return the first, being unopened and easy to return, and buying the second, which I was able to arrange to pick up without an extra trip. But in hindsight, besides the cost in terms of my time, since it was a UPS return, they won't refund the purchase until it gets back to Amazon. Given the number of things that could go wrong, risking $70 in order to save $6 is a very foolish venture. But being a hoarder, dollar signs appear larger to my eyes than they actually are.

So, what's the most time / risk you've expended for the least amount of savings / earnings / reward?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: How much is a dollar really worth?
(September 22, 2021 at 7:52 pm)Angrboda Wrote: Tonight I was at Cub Foods picking up some packages and got it in my head to buy some coffee just for something different.  The tag on the shelf said $4.99, but it rang up at $5.99, which I thought might have been right, given that it was a special "double caffeine" blend.  Still, I felt guilty at $4.99, I wasn't ready to swallow $5.99, so I went to customer service and managed to get that dollar off, largely, I think, because customer service made a mistake.  The ad said "select varieties" but she kind of glossed over that part.  I got mine, that's good enough for me.  But I wasted 20-30 minutes in the process.

However, two other parts of my trip were a little more sketchy.  I bought an Echo Show 8 for $70, but then a few weeks later it was selling for $64 for a limited time.  So I got it in my head to return the first, being unopened and easy to return, and buying the second, which I was able to arrange to pick up without an extra trip.  But in hindsight, besides the cost in terms of my time, since it was a UPS return, they won't refund the purchase until it gets back to Amazon.  Given the number of things that could go wrong, risking $70 in order to save $6 is a very foolish venture.  But being a hoarder, dollar signs appear larger to my eyes than they actually are.

So, what's the most time / risk you've expended for the least amount of savings / earnings / reward?

Ask the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.
(September 22, 2021 at 8:03 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(September 22, 2021 at 7:52 pm)Angrboda Wrote: Tonight I was at Cub Foods picking up some packages and got it in my head to buy some coffee just for something different.  The tag on the shelf said $4.99, but it rang up at $5.99, which I thought might have been right, given that it was a special "double caffeine" blend.  Still, I felt guilty at $4.99, I wasn't ready to swallow $5.99, so I went to customer service and managed to get that dollar off, largely, I think, because customer service made a mistake.  The ad said "select varieties" but she kind of glossed over that part.  I got mine, that's good enough for me.  But I wasted 20-30 minutes in the process.

However, two other parts of my trip were a little more sketchy.  I bought an Echo Show 8 for $70, but then a few weeks later it was selling for $64 for a limited time.  So I got it in my head to return the first, being unopened and easy to return, and buying the second, which I was able to arrange to pick up without an extra trip.  But in hindsight, besides the cost in terms of my time, since it was a UPS return, they won't refund the purchase until it gets back to Amazon.  Given the number of things that could go wrong, risking $70 in order to save $6 is a very foolish venture.  But being a hoarder, dollar signs appear larger to my eyes than they actually are.

Ask the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

They wouldn't know. They didn't have pockets to keep money in.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

When I was younger and raising three kids I went to some lengths to save money. I clipped coupons...not crazy like some people...but I did use coupons on things I would buy anyway. I stocked up on things on sale when I could and as long as I knew it was something I would use. I sent in rebate forms, that kind of thing.

We had neighbors on Ft. Jackson who went through all the grocery store ads and planned a weekly shopping trip that took them all over town and took hours to save a few bucks...or so they thought. I didn't see it that way between the time spent and the gas used but they seemed to see it as some sort of sport. I shopped at the commissary on post and overall saved money without making it into a part time job.

I do like how easy it is to return things now to Amazon. Things that I maybe would have thrown in a drawer or closet before I can just drop off at The UPS Store and get credit right away, I don't even have to package it...so I am more selective with things like that.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I once bought the wrong size screws fir a project - I needed 4mm and bought 5mm. Completely and totally my fault (they were in the right bin, I just wasn’t paying attention).

I went straight back to the shop, explained the issue and said I wanted to exchange them. No problem on the exchange - the difference in price was 10c, which I pocketed.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I was at Aldi's a couple days ago and something that was $1.19 rang up as $1.39. The problem is there were six of that item. Still, I'm not sure the glares I got from the people in line were justified by the $1.20 saved.

(September 22, 2021 at 8:37 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I once bought the wrong size screws fir a project - I needed 4mm and bought 5mm. Completely and totally my fault (they were in the right bin, I just wasn’t paying attention).

I went straight back to the shop, explained the issue and said I wanted to exchange them. No problem on the exchange - the difference in price was 10c, which I pocketed.

Boru

I'm becoming a customer service addict. I find that a good sob story will often get you $5 or $10 back even if you don't deserve it if you're willing to chat up the customer service online.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
This is only tangentially about me.

I was queued up at a market, one person ahead of me, five or six people behind me. The bloke in front was trying to use a coupon that was 1) expired 2) issued from a different store, and 3) worth a whopping 20c.

The girl explained that she could not accept the coupon and why, and this man got instantly loud, argumentative, and a little abusive. To speed things along, I dropped a 20c piece on the belt in front of him. He directed his ire at me instead of the poor shop girl (which I was hoping for) and continued  to rage and bloviate all the way out of the market.

Over 20c on a $150 bill. Which he took.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 22, 2021 at 9:05 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: This is only tangentially about me.

I was queued up at a market, one person ahead of me, five or six people behind me. The bloke in front was trying to use a coupon that was 1) expired 2) issued from a different store, and 3) worth a whopping 20c.

The girl explained that she could not accept the coupon and why, and this man got instantly loud, argumentative, and a little abusive. To speed things along, I dropped a 20c piece on the belt in front of him. He directed his ire at me instead of the poor shop girl (which I was hoping for) and continued  to rage and bloviate all the way out of the market.

Over 20c on a $150 bill. Which he took.

Boru

Some people would complain if hanged with a new rope. That guy was just looking for trouble. Good on you for deflecting his diatribe!
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
At this stage of my life when I'm at my peak earning potential, not very much. I will try to time filling up my truck ($100-120USD at today's prices) to coincide when I have maximum fuel reward points. Low effort, saves me $15-20 on a fill. The local Kroger-brand store (Fred Meyer) sends us coupons for stuff they know we buy, which we use. We try to buy more expensive grocery items (meat, coffee, blah blah) on sale, in bulk. I guess you could say we go for some low hanging ripe fruit.

I can see that changing to penny pinchung as I'm starting to wind down my career and think about not working and earning.
I have friends that will drive 20 miles to cross into another state to save 10 cents/gallon on gas.

I'm doing the Kroger thing also, they tell me I've saved $700 this year. Most of that savings is on gas, not groceries. (10-20 cents off per gallon for every $100 spent) Not sure what my cash back from the credit card is at for the year. To lazy to look.

Did get my panties in a twist over $6 on a coat rack purchase (it was a bait and switch online thing) which took several hours and two trips to resolve. I justified my behavior to the wife as "something to keep me occupied during covid". She didn't buy it at all.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How much time do you waste a day? EgoDeath 33 2173 October 10, 2018 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: julep