Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW HERE HAVING CRISIS
NEW HERE HAVING CRISIS
So just to make things short. Grew up catholic. converted atheist in middle school. went back to christianity at 18. now an atheist at 22. I made some promises to god while I was a believer and im afraid even though I do not believe a god exists im afraid he is going to do something about these promises and guide me in this direction regardless and its giving me a ton of anxiety. could anyone help further re instate the lack of existence of the Old Testament deity.
RE: NEW HERE HAVING CRISIS
Yeah, alot of us feel compelled to keep our promises, even if they were made to a person or thing that turned out not to be what we thought it was. That's normal bud.

Commitment is real, even if gods aren't. Is there something wrong with the promises? You talk about guiding you some direction - that implies it's not necessarily a direction you'd want to take.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Do thoughts of making Santa's naughty list also keep you up at night?

If not, realize that their nefarious plan of implementing the boogeyman into your life has succeeded. Want them to fail? Simply realize the fictional theistic plot for what it is.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(November 3, 2021 at 10:53 pm)nottheone Wrote: So just to make things short. Grew up catholic. converted atheist in middle school. went back to christianity at 18. now an atheist at 22. I made some promises to god while I was a believer and im afraid even though I do not believe a god exists im afraid he is going to do something about these promises and guide me in this direction regardless and its giving me a ton of anxiety. could anyone help further re instate the lack of existence of the Old Testament deity.

I accidentally said something I shouldn't have said
Fox beat me to it, but I was going to say I used to promise Santa I wouldn't torment my sister if he would only bring me some fancy toy. Never got that damn toy.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(November 3, 2021 at 11:00 pm)Spongebob Wrote: Fox beat me to it, but I was going to say I used to promise Santa I wouldn't torment my sister if he would only bring me some fancy toy.  Never got that damn toy.

its just stuck in the back of my head as if hes going to do something about it. uhh hate this bs indoctrination
(November 3, 2021 at 11:00 pm)Spongebob Wrote: Fox beat me to it, but I was going to say I used to promise Santa I wouldn't torment my sister if he would only bring me some fancy toy.  Never got that damn toy.
I bet your sister is satisfied with santas service, then.  Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 3, 2021 at 11:02 pm)nottheone Wrote:

its just stuck in the back of my head as if hes going to do something about it. uhh hate this bs indoctrination

It took me years to get that stupid prayer I was taught as a child out of my mind.  

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my Soul to keep;
If I should die before I 'wake,
I pray the Lord my Soul to take.

Haunted me until I was a grown-ass man.  That is what indoctrination does!

"He" can't do anything is "he" doesn't exist.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
I grew up Catholic too.

This forum is a good place to get clarity. Just by talking about the plausibility of gods, and recognizing the issues with belief it can help you come to grips with your emotions.

It's good to want to keep promises. Distress at breaking a promise is only natural. But there is no need for distress over a promise made to a non-existent entity.

One thing I'm sure you consider most of the time is how God is a construct of ancient peoples... to serve as an identity marker to distinguish one tribe from another, or a means to control others/maintain order.

Nietzsche Wrote:"He who seeks, easily gets lost. All loneliness is guilt"—thus speaks the herd. And you have long belonged to the herd. The voice of the herd will still be audible in you. And when you will say, "I no longer have a common conscience with you," it will be a lament and an agony. Behold, this agony itself was born of the common conscience, and the last glimmer of that conscience still glows on your affliction.

But do you want to go the way of your affliction, which is the way to yourself? Then show me your right and your strength to do so. Are you a new strength and a new right? A first movement? A self-propelled wheel? Can you compel the very stars to revolve around you?
You know, if there's anything we can say about the catholic god....it's used to being disappointed by people. I can't imagine why a person would be specifically anxious over breaking any number of promises to that god. Are we going to get more clarity on this, or? I don't want to pry if you'd rather not talk about it - but it's gonna be difficult to offer support for something we're not really in the know about.

For all we know, you promised to murder the harlot next door - and you're telling us that..lately...you been feelin a little stabby - like...one way or another, this ends with a knife in someone's back. God wills it.

Know what I mean?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Here Nomistic 13 519 February 12, 2024 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  I'm new here Sigiere 14 952 May 24, 2023 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New here Rdougall 9 1253 January 27, 2023 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New guy here Roykok 8 1080 November 10, 2022 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New Here probablynothing#34 18 1366 June 30, 2022 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir