Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Windows Movie Maker Help
Windows Movie Maker Help
Hey guys. I'm hoping somebody here can help me out. As some of you know I make videos. I use Windows Movie Maker 6 to edit them. I know that's a painfully outdated program, but I found a version that works with Windows 10 and for months now it worked just fine. Now all of a sudden it's lagging and freezing on video playback and I can't edit anything. I don't have the money to buy a better video editing program so I'm stuck with this one. I can't help but feel it's part of a bigger problem because my computer is running extremely slow. It has taken several minutes just to type up this message. It started yesterday.

Please help. I don't know what to do.
RE: Windows Movie Maker Help
I've heard OBS studio is recommended, free, and I believe will do what you need.

https://obsproject.com/

If your computer is really, really slow, and you have no luck identifying the source, a clean install usually helps. I'd start by unplugging all unnecessary USB devices and running a full virus scan. A rootkit scan wouldn't hurt, either. Malwarebytes makes a rootkit scanner for free download.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
OBS Studios has more to do with live streaming than editing.

Running a virus scan now.
So I figured out the issue. It was disc space. My available disc space was in the red so I uninstalled a bunch of programs and deleted a bunch of files I didn't need anymore. I also updated my ram. Everything is running smoothly now.
you can use advanced system care software to optmize your windows
(November 28, 2021 at 10:39 pm)masoni Wrote: you can use advanced system care software to optmize your windows

There are quite a few. Which do you recommend? I use CCleaner and chkdsk repair function from time to time. Also make sure to clean history, caches, downloads, regularly

Probably  easier than doing a proper clean install.

I have an app called "Acronis" I actually paid for it. The app  will do regular system  updates, clone your disc and even set up a clean install boot disc . That means it doesn't back up to an earlier date. It formats the HDD and installs a completely new OS.

Apologies if I've given the false impression that I'm a computer geek. I ain't slightly more than computer literate. BUT, I have a mate who is a mathematician and retired computer programmer. He put me on to Acronis, set up my VOIP , put Linux as a dual boot on my laptop AND showed me how to make a boot disc for a clean install.

Seems space is TJ's main issue. I have several external HDD. One on the IMac dedicated to backups. . 2x4TB external HDD.  For PC backups, but mainly for my film and TV shows. 

This PC uses a 200GB partition for the C:/ drive, which has the OS, new apps, and nothing else. The remainder is a 800GB drive which can take large  temporary files. The PC has a 1TB SSD, no HDD.

It occurs to be that partitioning the HDD might help TJ; filling the C:/ drive can cause all kinds of problems. I did it once.
(November 29, 2021 at 12:10 am)Oldandeasilyconfused Wrote:
(November 28, 2021 at 10:39 pm)masoni Wrote: you can use advanced system care software to optmize your windows

There are quite a few. Which do you recommend? I use CCleaner and chkdsk repair function from time to time. Also make sure to clean history, caches, downloads, regularly

Probably  easier than doing a proper clean install.

I have an app called "Acronis" I actually paid for it. The app  will do regular system  updates, clone your disc and even set up a clean install boot disc . That means it doesn't back up to an earlier date. It formats the HDD and installs a completely new OS.

Apologies if I've given the false impression that I'm a computer geek. I ain't slightly more than computer literate. BUT, I have a mate who is a mathematician and retired computer programmer. He put me on to Acronis, set up my VOIP , put Linux as a dual boot on my laptop AND showed me how to make a boot disc for a clean install.

Seems space is TJ's main issue. I have several external HDD. One on the IMac dedicated to backups. . 2x4TB external HDD.  For PC backups, but mainly for my film and TV shows. 

This PC uses a 200GB partition for the C:/ drive, which has the OS, new apps, and nothing else. The remainder is a 800GB drive which can take large  temporary files. The PC has a 1TB SSD, no HDD.

It occurs to be that partitioning the HDD might help TJ; filling the C:/ drive can cause all kinds of problems. I did it once.

Glary Utilities Pro Great

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows defender has, once again, incorrectly identified my program as malware! FlatAssembler 36 890 February 22, 2024 at 9:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Windows Security plus Win 11 Oldandeasilyconfused 2 350 November 25, 2021 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Windows 11. Install it; Yes/ No/Wait Oldandeasilyconfused 24 2173 November 10, 2021 at 10:52 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Windows 11? Angrboda 29 2349 September 23, 2021 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: no one
  Anybody ever run Windows 10 on server hardware? popeyespappy 1 537 November 6, 2019 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Why isn't Android more serious contender to Windows? Fake Messiah 8 887 June 20, 2019 at 6:21 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Getting a Windows 98 game to run on modern windows vulcanlogician 23 2185 January 19, 2019 at 7:09 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  HELP! The Page Breaks in All My Documents Have Disappeared in Windows 2013 Rhondazvous 18 3879 January 9, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Windows 10 Running Slow A Theist 30 8046 June 2, 2017 at 5:46 am
Last Post: Joods
  Groove Music vs Windows media player paulpablo 1 1880 November 11, 2016 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious