Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Ethics - parental responsibility re: children
[split] Ethics - parental responsibility re: children
It's really not ethical to have children.......
"Imagination, life is your creation"
RE: Ethics
State your axioms, define your variables, and show your proof.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 2, 2022 at 11:19 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: State your axioms, define your variables, and show your proof.
All people brought into this world will suffer in some way/shape/form, and the "good" does not outweigh the "bad", really not even close. Is that not proof enough?
(March 2, 2022 at 11:34 am)Ahriman Wrote:
(March 2, 2022 at 11:19 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: State your axioms, define your variables, and show your proof.
All people brought into this world will suffer in some way/shape/form, and the "good" does not outweigh the "bad", really not even close. Is that not proof enough?

That’s not proof, that’s simply an assertion. You make the unjustified assumption that the festering fucktangle [nod to awty] that is your life applies to everyone’s life.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 2, 2022 at 11:40 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(March 2, 2022 at 11:34 am)Ahriman Wrote: All people brought into this world will suffer in some way/shape/form, and the "good" does not outweigh the "bad", really not even close. Is that not proof enough?

That’s not proof, that’s simply an assertion. You make the unjustified assumption that the festering fucktangle [nod to awty] that is your life applies to everyone’s life.

Boru
You really think it's just me? You don't think all people suffer? Because they do. Everyone suffers. And technically speaking, any amount or level of suffering is unacceptable, because it doesn't need to happen in the first place, because no one needs to have children. It's a completely unnecessary and unethical thing to do, and only a bad person would defend this action.
Yes, it's just you. Some of us enjoy our lives and have a generally decent time - especially kids..who are super duper good at finding the fun and memory holing any suffering. Further, a great many parents would, if they could, prevent all suffering. Just not in our power - and thus, not our responsibility.

Agency, moral or otherwise, is about the levers you can pull, not the levers you can't. Not having children won't prevent suffering - but it will, in point of fact, add to suffering - and not just to people who want kids, but even to people who don't. How is society supposed to support someone like you without a bunch of my children accounting for your every need and whim as a free rider?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 2, 2022 at 11:45 am)Ahriman Wrote:
(March 2, 2022 at 11:40 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: That’s not proof, that’s simply an assertion. You make the unjustified assumption that the festering fucktangle [nod to awty] that is your life applies to everyone’s life.

Boru
You really think it's just me? You don't think all people suffer? Because they do. Everyone suffers. And technically speaking, any amount or level of suffering is unacceptable, because it doesn't need to happen in the first place, because no one needs to have children. It's a completely unnecessary and unethical thing to do, and only a bad person would defend this action.

Of course everyone suffers. I was objecting to your claim that suffering always outweighs non-suffering, and that consequently, life is more bad than good. That’s an empirical claim and as such needs to be supported by evidence. You have none.

You simply have no way to measure the amount of suffering vs not-suffering in the lives of people you’ve never met and will never meet. Without going into details, I’ve experienced levels of suffering that would make you gasp with disbelief, but there’s no question in my mind that my life has been more good than bad.

Furthermore, the ‘goodness’ of life is better thought of as exponential rather than linear.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 2, 2022 at 11:45 am)Ahriman Wrote:
(March 2, 2022 at 11:40 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: That’s not proof, that’s simply an assertion. You make the unjustified assumption that the festering fucktangle [nod to awty] that is your life applies to everyone’s life.

Boru

Should I apologize to my kids for bringing them into this world because you said so?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(March 2, 2022 at 12:49 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(March 2, 2022 at 11:45 am)Ahriman Wrote: You really think it's just me? You don't think all people suffer? Because they do. Everyone suffers. And technically speaking, any amount or level of suffering is unacceptable, because it doesn't need to happen in the first place, because no one needs to have children. It's a completely unnecessary and unethical thing to do, and only a bad person would defend this action.

Should I apologize to my kids for bringing them into this world because you said so?
An apology wouldn't do any good, obviously. But you do owe them anything they want for the rest of their lives.
(March 2, 2022 at 12:57 pm)Ahriman Wrote:
(March 2, 2022 at 12:49 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Should I apologize to my kids for bringing them into this world because you said so?
An apology wouldn't do any good, obviously. But you do owe them anything they want for the rest of their lives.

Really?  

Seriously, you need to have your meds adjusted.  You are delusional.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ban Intersex Surgery for Children: Yes or No? GrandizerII 46 5920 April 25, 2019 at 4:32 am
Last Post: Foxaèr