Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Potential, Possible, Maybe Medical Game-Changer
A Potential, Possible, Maybe Medical Game-Changer
Anti-Boozing Drug MAY Reverse Blindness

Quote:Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley, have found that a drug once widely used to wean alcoholics off of drinking helps to improve sight in mice with retinal degeneration.

The drug may revive sight in humans with the inherited disease retinitis pigmentosa (RP), and perhaps in other vision disorders, including age-related macular degeneration.

Quote:Disulfiram — which is already approved for use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) —could establish that link. The researchers are planning to partner with ophthalmologists to conduct a clinical trial of disulfiram on patients with RP. The trial would be carried out on a small set of people with advanced, but not yet complete, retinal degeneration.

“There may be a long window of opportunity in which suppressing retinoic acid with drugs like disulfiram could substantially improve low vision and make a real difference in people’s quality of life,” said Kramer, the CH and Annie Li Chair in Molecular Biology of Diseases at UC Berkeley and a member of the campus’s Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute. “Because the drug is already FDA-approved, the regulatory hurdles are low. It wouldn’t be a permanent cure, but right now there are no available treatments that even temporarily improve vision.”

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vaccination exemption in CA, personal down, medical up brewer 245 45937 December 25, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Inspiring Medical Breakthroughs of 2017 shadow 13 2892 December 25, 2017 at 10:32 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Medical information needed. Gawdzilla Sama 22 4652 September 25, 2017 at 8:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  A couple of Medical snippets brewer 0 596 June 5, 2017 at 5:55 am
Last Post: brewer
  Medical/Sugar/Comparison to Big Tobacco brewer 7 2047 December 2, 2016 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Noprophets
  Medical - MS brewer 6 1794 October 8, 2016 at 11:35 am
Last Post: Athene
  More Medical Crap brewer 5 1385 September 29, 2016 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Medical: ADHD and Homeless brewer 5 1273 September 27, 2016 at 11:49 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Medical/Psych snippets brewer 0 768 September 20, 2016 at 12:05 pm
  Medical/ rec drug injection/endocarditis brewer 2 774 September 19, 2016 at 10:26 am