Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inspiring Medical Breakthroughs of 2017
Inspiring Medical Breakthroughs of 2017
This year there has been some astounding progress in curing and treating diseases:

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-42402420#

Huntington's, Sickle Cell Anemia, Hemophilia, Type 2 Diabetes... I can't think of any more inspirational work than fighting these diseases. I almost feel like humanity's progress in medicine is accelerating. The collective result is so tangible, observed most starkly as higher life expectancy and massively lower infant mortality. The amount these figures have improved over the decades is astounding.

I'm so proud of our scientists. Smile
RE: Inspiring Medical Breakthroughs of 2017
Yeah, it's good stuff. From the viewpoint of an old fart, though (I'm 58), it's disappointing.

People still die of cancer. The husband of a former co-worker just died at 38 years-old. He was a military member and supposedly contracted it while serving if Afghanistan. I don't know how that determination was made.

We are still intelligent animals who are very much at the mercy of disorders of the body we are unable to treat.

I am with you, shadow in applauding progress but I wish it was better.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(December 24, 2017 at 2:53 am)AFTT47 Wrote: Yeah, it's good stuff. From the viewpoint of an old fart, though (I'm 58), it's disappointing.

People still die of cancer. The husband of a former co-worker just died at 38 years-old. He was a military member and supposedly contracted it while serving if Afghanistan. I don't know how that determination was made.

We are still intelligent animals who are very much at the mercy of disorders of the body we are unable to treat.

I am with you, shadow in applauding progress but I wish it was better.

Yes, just think of how much more progress we could make if we put more resources into science. I know by and large, research is often put on the backburner unless it's going to be feeding someone's wallet directly. Yet we still have incredible progress happening each year, which in the scope of our history as a species is extremely rapid. But we're not even close to trying our hardest yet - just imagine our rate of progress if we made this our priority. We have so much potential. I love that.
Our life expectancy number actually declined in 2017. (debbie downer)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 24, 2017 at 10:03 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Our life expectancy number actually declined in 2017. (debbie downer)

Well aren't you guys a cheery bunch. Tongue

Wasn't that just in the USA, which already has a high life expectancy, and largely caused by drug related deaths dragging down the average quite a bit?

Anyways, it seems a bit early for 2017 data to influence a proper trend, but the trend from the last 50 years and projections for the future look very encouraging to me:

[Image: Life_Expectancy_at_Birth_by_Region_1950-2050.png]
They left out 'Amazing Penis Enlargement Pills'.  I keep getting emails about these, so it must be true.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 24, 2017 at 6:33 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: They left out 'Amazing Penis Enlargement Pills'.  I keep getting emails about these, so it must be true.

Boru

The biggest pricks are the ones producing and marketing these pills.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I guess straight men can be size queens, as well.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
No need to be size-ist. My junk is like a Vienna sausage and two garbanzo beans. Works for me.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I'm 6.5 inches erect.

But my T.M.I is significantly larger.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Potential, Possible, Maybe Medical Game-Changer BrianSoddingBoru4 0 269 March 21, 2022 at 4:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Vaccination exemption in CA, personal down, medical up brewer 245 45955 December 25, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Medical information needed. Gawdzilla Sama 22 4654 September 25, 2017 at 8:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  A couple of Medical snippets brewer 0 596 June 5, 2017 at 5:55 am
Last Post: brewer
  Medical/Sugar/Comparison to Big Tobacco brewer 7 2049 December 2, 2016 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Noprophets
  Medical - MS brewer 6 1796 October 8, 2016 at 11:35 am
Last Post: Athene
  More Medical Crap brewer 5 1385 September 29, 2016 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Medical: ADHD and Homeless brewer 5 1274 September 27, 2016 at 11:49 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Medical/Psych snippets brewer 0 769 September 20, 2016 at 12:05 pm
  Medical/ rec drug injection/endocarditis brewer 2 776 September 19, 2016 at 10:26 am