Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Medical/Sugar/Comparison to Big Tobacco
Medical/Sugar/Comparison to Big Tobacco
A couple of interesting articles cam across one of my feeds. Some quotes:

"In the United States, there isn't any reference dietary intake for sugar on food labels. In Europe, the labelling exists but doesn't differentiate between children and adults."

"The food industry often argues that the public should have a "personal responsibility" when choosing what foods to eat, which deflects blame from their own culpability in the obesity epidemic to the consumer."

"The similarities between Big Tobacco and the sugar industry are disturbing. As a recent publication in JAMA Internal Medicine showed, the sugar industry paid three influential Harvard scientists to downplay sugar's role in heart disease and to shift the blame to fat"

Here are the articles:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/8710...faf=1#vp_2

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/8700...7916&faf=1
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Medical/Sugar/Comparison to Big Tobacco
Same old story about the pitfalls of capitalism. People are flawed. When put in positions like heads of huge conglomerates, they cannot be trusted to put the public good ahead of their own bottom line. This is no surprise.

Capitalism is great - when there is plenty of oversight and when carefully regulated. Otherwise, you get the Ferengi of 24th-century Star Trek. It will always be that way as long as people are people.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
IDK that I'd -want- to make corporations responsible for putting dietary recommendations on their products.  We all know what those are going to look like, if they have any say in them.  

"Eat 20 servings of our product at every meal, paired with an offering from our condiment line."

I know, I know..we'll make them put "the right stuff" on there.  Yeah, and they will, to within a millimeter of breaking the letter of any law we might write to that effect, while completely shitting on the spirit of the same.  Sugars been a habitually offender against humanity since the 16/1700's...we actually have sugar to blame for the very existence of abusive multinational corporations...they wrote the book, they pioneered the model.

I can't stand big sugar...I think there's a picture I posted here, years ago....of the everglades on fire...as in, a fire that stretched from horizon to horizon and straight up into the clouds. You could -feel- the heat a mile away. Then, ofc, they're constantly dumping snakebit illegals on hospital curbs...as in pushing them out of a rolling fucking van. All the while suckng at the tit of taxpayer sweat and toil for the service they provide of dropping the real and economic value of any land around them, and usng hose ill-gotten gains to buy the levers of government out from under the people who have to live with and support them and all they do. It doesn't surprise me to find that they also engage in the relatively mild bit of skullduggery described in the links.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Right. Big Sugar is bad, doesnt mean Big Tobacco is not- there is no mutual exclusivity. BTW, Lobbying for all the dumb consumer stuff along with big bad sugar and tobacco, is the balloon lobby (yes, balloons, which pollute like crazy), the plastics Industry, the Food Industry in general, and Oil (yes, we still subsidize oil, believe it or not), etc etc.

I say the real terrorists in , not just the USA, but the World, is Coca Cola. Toxic Waste. Responsible for more disease (obesity related), than any other single Company. In Africa, a Coke is cheaper than a serving of milk. the obesity epidemic in now world wide, not anymore just in the fat USA........

For the 1st time in Human history, recently, more people are dying from obesity related death than starvation.
Does labeling make a difference?  Not asking out of sarcasm, genuine question.

On our tobacco products in the UK there's pictures of rotten teeth, dead people, messed up lungs and all sorts.  Smoking has gone down but I think that's also related to not being able to smoke in public places here in the UK.

I have mixed feelings about all this definitely.  On the one hand it is devious the way food companies set out to brainwash children, literally brainwash.  On the other hand if someone is informed about what's health and what isn't you don't necessarily need a label to tell you if it's bad.  We can taste what's sweet we can taste what's salty and we know what fried food and cheese looks like.  Just the same way we know what veg and water look like.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

So, putting crushed peppermints in the bong is out?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
There are a lot of articles coming out now saying that saturated fat isn't as bad for you as we have been told for the past 40 years or so, but the sugar industry back then made sure that fats got the blame for obesity & heart disease when in reality it's most likely sugar which is the real culprit.

I know personally I had a very hard time trying to lose weight. I watched my fat intake but didn't cut down much on sugar, and continued to gain weight. I was exercising regularly but wasn't losing any weight until I read an article about how sugar & carbs are what is causing obesity, and decided to cut sugar out of my diet and cut my carbohydrate intake. I did so and lost 40 lbs.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(December 1, 2016 at 7:04 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: So, putting crushed peppermints in the bong is out?

Boru

(December 2, 2016 at 4:55 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: There are a lot of articles coming out now saying that saturated fat isn't as bad for you as we have been told for the past 40 years or so, but the sugar industry back then made sure that fats got the blame for obesity & heart disease when in reality it's most likely sugar which is the real culprit.

I know personally I had a very hard time trying to lose weight.  I watched my fat intake but didn't cut down much on sugar, and continued to gain weight.  I was exercising regularly but wasn't losing any weight until I read an article about how sugar & carbs are what is causing obesity, and decided to cut sugar out of my diet and cut my carbohydrate intake.  I did so and lost 40 lbs.

Thomas, its not your fault- it largely depends on the QUANTITY of fat cells you were BORN with, determined largely by what your mother ate during gestation, believ it or not. Read "Fat Chance", and "Too Much of a Good Thing".  Diet food/weight loos empire thrives on false hope to loose weight. They are almost a 99.99% failure. Sorry, thats life. Thats evolution. Evolution does not care.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Potential, Possible, Maybe Medical Game-Changer BrianSoddingBoru4 0 267 March 21, 2022 at 4:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Big Bang purplepurpose 46 5349 October 21, 2018 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Starch(potatoes)=sugar purplepurpose 2 357 August 8, 2018 at 4:10 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  FDA proposal to lower nicotine in tobacco products brewer 10 1192 March 16, 2018 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Vaccination exemption in CA, personal down, medical up brewer 245 45936 December 25, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Inspiring Medical Breakthroughs of 2017 shadow 13 2892 December 25, 2017 at 10:32 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Medical information needed. Gawdzilla Sama 22 4652 September 25, 2017 at 8:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  CAR-T, The big step forward in cancer treatment The Valkyrie 9 1517 August 31, 2017 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A couple of Medical snippets brewer 0 596 June 5, 2017 at 5:55 am
Last Post: brewer
  Why Mike Pence is a big dummy. Jehanne 0 624 October 13, 2016 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Jehanne