Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:03 pm

Poll: Which statement better describes scientific inquiry?
This poll is closed.
Statement #1
66.67%
6 66.67%
Statement #2
33.33%
3 33.33%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science Poll!
Science Poll!
Please choose the statement you feel better describes scientific inquiry:

Statement #1: Science is a self-correcting construct through which we discover truths about the universe. Scientific inquiry is rigorously unbiased and applicable to any facet of human endeavor. Our scientific knowledge corresponds to the way objective reality is, independent of human existence.

Statement #2: Science is a human construct with all the biases and cultural influences that entails. Scientific inquiry is inextricably linked to war, politics and business. Our knowledge merely imposes order on the chaos of phenomena to make it comprehensible to humans.
RE: Science Poll!
Meh.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Neither.
Both wrong.

1 is probably 1/2 right, 2 is probably 1/4 right.
Both terribly wrong in many ways. Almost can not believe how wrong sosmebody can be in such short statements
Almost!
But looking at the close mindedness of the OP its no surprise. Another Sancho Pansa fighting windmills, unwilling and unable to learn.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
Statement number 1, first sentence only, although I would have worded it differently.

Looks like the other two sentences in #1 are biased and a set up.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Where's the fuck all polls option?
<insert profound quote here>
Science is a method that was proven to be very effective.

The approach of "learning by first hand experience" and the repeatability of scientific experiments” is (according to me) the basis of all science.

So I will vote for statement 1. But I will not say it is applicable to “any” facet of human experience
.Of course not. I mean, “Yes”. But there will still be a part that cannot be directly measured or observed so we will still have to make some subjective interpretations on our own. Smile)
(March 22, 2022 at 11:39 am)Istvan Wrote: Please choose the statement you feel better describes scientific inquiry:

Statement #1: Science is a self-correcting construct through which we discover truths about the universe. Scientific inquiry is rigorously unbiased and applicable to any facet of human endeavor. Our scientific knowledge corresponds to the way objective reality is, independent of human existence.

Statement #2: Science is a human construct with all the biases and cultural influences that entails. Scientific inquiry is inextricably linked to war, politics and business. Our knowledge merely imposes order on the chaos of phenomena to make it comprehensible to humans.

Science is a self-correcting construct through which we try to approach accurate beliefs about the universe.

Science has a limited range in which it works, which is why it works so well. There are areas of human endeavor (e.g. the arts) in which it has little or nothing to say.  

Scientific inquiry in the ideal is rigorously unbiased, but in practice is nearly always biased according to who's paying for it, what the desired outcomes are, how much the scientist needs tenure, and a hundred other factors. It's done by humans, so you can't expect better. 

In practice, science is inextricably linked to war, politics, and business. It wouldn't have to be this way, but that's how things are set up now. 

The order, or lack thereof, that exists independent of human observation, and the degree to which we impose order through our analysis, is a complex and ongoing question.
I think that science and mathematics has plenty of things to say about the arts, such as the golden ratio, harmonics, proportions, etc. In the area of artistic forensics, lots of scientific tools are involved.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Science Poll! Istvan 24 1720 March 23, 2022 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Not A Poll: Does Motivation Affect Morality? BrianSoddingBoru4 146 16215 May 24, 2016 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Another Free-will poll, please bear with me! Aroura 53 6474 May 29, 2015 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Poll - 'Waiting for godot' a significant Philosophical Work? ManMachine 15 4493 January 21, 2015 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  "Free Will" Belief/Disbelief Poll Edwardo Piet 91 32935 November 7, 2010 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: tackattack