Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:39 am

Poll: Do you believe in "Free Will"?
This poll is closed.
Yes.
50.00%
21 50.00%
No.
50.00%
21 50.00%
Total 42 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Free Will" Belief/Disbelief Poll
"Free Will" Belief/Disbelief Poll
I don't think we've had a poll on it before?

EDIT: Moderators/admins, I'd quite like this poll to show who voted. But I accidentally screwed up and forgot to select that option. Could anyone fix that for me? Thanks.
RE: "Free Will" Belief/Disbelief Poll
Define "Free Will?"
By Free Will I mean the ability to willfully choose to "Do otherwise" at any given precise moment. So I am able, for example, at this exact moment to choose what I am doing, at that exact moment ( as that exact moment has now already passed).

Whether determined or undetermined the moments be, can we willfully control them when they are already happening? (I say not because I don't see how that's possible by definition. What is happening is happening whether it's determined or not. What will happen will happen whether determined to happen or not. What has happened has already happened, so no free choice there either).
I'm such a cheeky bastard. I answered 'yes' on both of your polls.
I think it should be believe we have free will & not believe in it.

I think we're free to choose what we would have chosen anyway. We are free agents really.
I voted no in both polls.
(October 3, 2010 at 2:56 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: I think it should be believe we have free will & not believe in it.

I think we're free to choose what we would have chosen anyway. We are free agents really.

Frodo

Course we're free to choose otherwise that would suggest there was some 'planner' behind everything, which there is no proof for.

Any hoo I've just been to a different forum where someone called frodo had atheist as their religious stance.
Was that you or was it a coincidence?Thinking

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I'm with-holding judgment on it. Until there is some data and evidence....I'm on the fence.
Once you take in the fact that chemical reactions play a gigantic role in how we behave and think, this causes me to wonder.

So I really don't know.

----
You forgot to add the 'I don't know' option you bastard! [Image: toetap.gif]
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
My opinion there isn't a religious one, but one formulated from a discussion with Evie. If God knows everything that happens he doesn't restrict what we choose to do, because as I said, we are free agents. If we chose to believe or not, it would be our choice, and God would know how our lives pan out.

Yes that's me Smile
(October 3, 2010 at 3:09 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: My opinion there isn't a religious one, but one formulated from a discussion with Evie. If God knows everything that happens he doesn't restrict what we choose to do, because as I said, we are free agents. If we chose to believe or not, it would be our choice, and God would know how our lives pan out.

Yes that's me Smile

Thought so.

So are you an atheist now? your recent posts dont point that way, so colour me confused.Confused Fall

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Science Poll! Istvan 9 1302 September 25, 2022 at 8:30 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Belief without Verification or Certainty vulcanlogician 40 3310 May 11, 2022 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Science Poll! Istvan 24 1731 March 23, 2022 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  [Serious] Questions about Belief and Personal Identity Neo-Scholastic 27 1795 June 11, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Is Belief in God ethical? vulcanlogician 28 2556 November 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  William James and Belief In Belief Mudhammam 0 622 November 2, 2016 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Not A Poll: Does Motivation Affect Morality? BrianSoddingBoru4 146 16249 May 24, 2016 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Knowledge and belief in God Harris 37 4545 April 29, 2016 at 8:00 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  Test my belief system robvalue 84 12302 September 8, 2015 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Sappho
  The Ethics of Belief Pyrrho 32 7630 July 25, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger