Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are some good streaming services?
What are some good streaming services?
I have a thrifty approach to streaming services. I subscribe to, say, Netflix for only 2-3 months, then I drop it for 6 months. Then I resubscribe when I'm assured they'll have new stuff to watch. I do this with all my streaming services. I'm sure a ton of people do this.

Currently in my rotation: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and Paramount+. But I'd like to try more. I like horror and sci fi the most (both television and movies) with comedy a close third.

Anyhoo, I want to add more services into the rotation. Anyone have any good suggestions? I'm also willing to share how satisfied I am with the ones I've tried if anyone wants to know.
RE: What are some good streaming services?
Disney is good if you're into their brand of content.
Disney has a lot of premium content given that they host Disney IP, Marvel IP, and Star Wars IP, as well as Nat Geo. I have a different strategy. I keep few services so that I always have quality content on tap. I've currently got Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, Disney, and NFL gamepass. I get Hulu for a buck a month; I wouldn't subscribe otherwise. NFL gamepass only offers full game replays for the previous year, unlike before this year. So I wouldn't pay full price for it, but I have it for $10 through the end of July. HBO Max is good, both full price and on sale. Paramount+ has a good movie collection for the price, but I'm waiting to resubscribe for a sale. I also intend to become a regular subscriber to XBOX gamepass; for $10 a month, you get access to all the Microsoft titles as well as the EA Play library. It's not uncommon for streaming services to offer holiday specials, so if you can time subscribing to the December/January window, it's a good way to save money. You can generally get Discovery+ and Curiousitystream cheaply, but I don't spend enough time watching their content to justify it. (Though I like all the BBC / David Attenborough content on Discovery+.)
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I highly recommend HBO Max. Lots of very good original content, plus DC, Turner Classic Movie and Adult Swim hubs.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Disney has been on my radar for some time. HBO Max sounds good too. HBO has gotta have good stuff. And I have fond memories of watching Cinemax at 2AM when I was 13.

And in the OP I said CBS all access when I meant Paramount+. (I edited it now.) I have Paramount + and love it mostly for the Trek. But there are some good B horror flicks too. Their "good" horror is a bit lacking though.

Has anyone tried YouTube's movie service? Is it any good?
I primarily just subscribe to Netflix.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Audio books via Libby. My guilty pleasure is listening to militaristic hard sci fi space operas....maverick Captains with loyal ExOs...duplicitous aliens...ancient relics in stasis pods...basic tropes of Man's vain attempt at imposing order on a heartess indifferent void...that kinda shit.
<insert profound quote here>
Speaking of which, there's a deal where you get 3-months free of Marvel Unlimited with XBOX Game Pass Ultimate (under 'perks' in the PC client). If you aren't a subscriber, you can get a one-month Ultimate Pass for $1. So I'm going to be sampling the back issues of comics for a few months. $10 a month is more than I'd pay, but as a side habit for 3-months free, I can dig it.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
The ones I have are Amazon Prime, Netflix, Disney Plus, and Hulu, but I also have Tubi. It’s free, you don’t even necessarily need a login, and you have access to a lot of movies ranging in quality from Fight Club, Planet of the Apes[i], [i]Psycho, In a Lonely Place, Paddington, Gone Girl, Goonies, or The Thin Red Line to, well, some of the worst movies ever made. It’s probably got one of the biggest libraries of any streaming service I know of, with a lot of shit nobody else has.

One example: Society. It’s a horror comedy where this is actually one of the saner occurrences:

And it’s free on Tubi. And the ad breaks are shorter than Hulu.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Am I the only person who is spoiled by streaming, because I cannot watch shows with ad breaks anymore. I refuse.
<insert profound quote here>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 746 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  Thoughts on sexual services? Macoleco 25 1944 September 7, 2022 at 10:57 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  I need some good first date questions Seraphina 86 10294 October 5, 2017 at 7:02 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Your services are requested, posthaste. SteelCurtain 23 1861 May 26, 2016 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Good night good luck from dyresand 0 979 May 24, 2015 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  What are some good crime shows? Elskidor 19 3476 August 30, 2014 at 3:17 am
Last Post: Zack
  Streaming radio Oldandeasilyconfused 6 1738 July 23, 2011 at 8:46 am
Last Post: leo-rcc