Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should public transportation be free?
Should public transportation be free?
If cars are one of the major problems of pollution/ climate change (as well as traffic jams) and we are serious about curbing that problem with a lot of money, shouldn't it be logical then to make public transportation free, especially for electric tramways and electric/ hydrogen buses so that people get more motivated to use it more?

It would be a more realistic solution than waiting until everyone gets an electric car.

Or maybe it could be free until everyone gets an electric car.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Should public transportation be free?
2 problems:

1.  By paying for free public transportation from general tax revenue it creates common cause for both people who don’t need and those prefer not to use public transportation.  This broadens and solidifies opposition against public transportation policy.

2.   Making it completely free means that part of the incremental cost of largely or totally unnecessary trips is also zero, so it incentivizes low value added travels.

If the goal is to reduce polluting ICE car usage, I think directly penalizing the use of ICE cars via tolls and fuel surcharges makes much more economic and policy sense then reducing the ticke of public trans portion much below incremental cost of carrying the passengers.

In principle, penalizing undesirable behavior directly work better than Penalizing everyone to create incentive to lure wrong doers away from wrong doing.
(May 30, 2022 at 1:48 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: 2 problems:

1.  By paying for free public transportation from general tax revenue it creates common cause for both people who don’t need and those prefer not to use public transportation.  This broadens and solidifies opposition against public transportation policy.

2.   Making it completely free means that part of the incremental cost of largely or totally unnecessary trips is also zero, so it incentivizes low value added travels.

If the goal is to reduce polluting ICE car usage, I think directly penalizing the use of ICE cars via tolls and fuel surcharges makes much more economic and policy sense then reducing the ticke of public trans portion much below incremental cost of carrying the passengers.

In principle, penalizing undesirable behavior directly work better than Penalizing everyone to create incentive to lure wrong doers away from wrong doing.

(bold mine)

In principle, yes. In practical terms, positive reinforcement works better than negative reinforcement in curbing undesirable behaviour. It would be more effective to incentivize people to get them to use public transport than to penalize them for not doing so.

To the OP: Yes.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 30, 2022 at 1:48 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: In principle, penalizing undesirable behavior directly work better than Penalizing everyone to create incentive to lure wrong doers away from wrong doing.

One thing to keep in mind is that building and maintaining roads for cars costs a lot of money. Sometimes people talk as if roads are just naturally occurring things, but of course they are more like big machines that require a huge amount of tax. If the design of the city's transportation prioritizes auto use, then undesirable behavior is being subsidized.

As a non-driver, I could say that I'm being penalized by paying taxes to support all those car users. 

Moving a significant percentage of people from private cars to simple public transportation would lower the amount spent on auto infrastructure.
(May 30, 2022 at 1:48 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: 2 problems:

Simple solution, make car usage duties high enough to cover free public transport in the short term, then switch to general taxation to cover shortfalls once everybody's on the train. We have to harshly penalise non-environmental modes of transport, including private electric vehicles.

Of course for most countries this would mean massively expanding public transport. Pity Ireland ripped up all its commuter lines in the 50s and 60s.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(May 30, 2022 at 5:45 am)Belacqua Wrote: One thing to keep in mind is that building and maintaining roads for cars costs a lot of money.

Concrete is also a significant source of CO2 emissions. Free market capitalism has had over 40 years to solve this problem, and it appears that it just won't. Both Republicans & Democrats are going to carry on until the balloon pops, and when half of modern-day Florida is part of the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico, people will complain.
(May 30, 2022 at 7:25 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(May 30, 2022 at 5:45 am)Belacqua Wrote: One thing to keep in mind is that building and maintaining roads for cars costs a lot of money.

Concrete is also a significant source of CO2 emissions.  Free market capitalism has had over 40 years to solve this problem, and it appears that it just won't.  Both Republicans & Democrats are going to carry on until the balloon pops, and when half of modern-day Florida is part of the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico, people will complain.

True enough, but the emission associated with concrete are virtually all during the production phase. Once it’s poured and cured, emissions are near enough to zero as makes no odds. This makes existing roads ideal for public transport, primarily electric buses and (with some modifications) electric trains.

Of course, until developed countries significantly reduce fossil fuel use, the carbon savings from public transport are probably a wash.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 30, 2022 at 7:25 am)Jehanne Wrote:

Concrete is also a significant source of CO2 emissions.  Free market capitalism has had over 40 years to solve this problem, and it appears that it just won't.  Both Republicans & Democrats are going to carry on until the balloon pops, and when half of modern-day Florida is part of the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico, people will complain.

Capitalism is by its very natue a system with a short term horizon and one that ignores any external costs.

As I am fond of saying, it is the best economic system apart from all the others.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Walk you pricks.

Signed

The Powers that Be
(May 30, 2022 at 8:00 am)Nomad Wrote: Capitalism is by its very natue a system with a short term horizon and one that ignores any external costs.

As I am fond of saying, it is the best economic system apart from all the others.

One thing that will be difficult to overcome: decades of advertising propaganda telling us that the right car makes us cool, and that cars are symbols of freedom. (Symbols of freedom that you have to labor half your life to pay for.)

There's no capitalist incentive to persuade people that cars should be thought of like wheelchairs -- necessary for those who need them, but not something a free person would choose.

[This sounds better when I say it in Japanese, since a car is kuruma 車, and a wheelchair is a kuruma-isu 車椅子 -- car-chair.]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump Ally Calls for Public Executions ZoomerTrumper 1 242 February 26, 2024 at 11:52 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Trump Ally Calls for Public Executions ZoomerTrumper 1 235 February 26, 2024 at 11:39 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 6856 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Just report the GD report to the public and settle this Equinox25 3 257 March 24, 2019 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Dem senators unveil expanded public option for health insurance Aegon 19 3715 April 26, 2018 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Aegon
  What would you change about the American public school system? Bahana 53 5985 April 17, 2018 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Homosexuality should be forbidden in public Sopra 33 3326 February 28, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  GOP healthcare bill surcharge is essentially a public mandate. The Industrial Atheist 4 967 March 13, 2017 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Daily Show Did A Public Service Minimalist 1 532 August 1, 2016 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Should Prisoners be set Free When Their "Crime" Becomes Legal? Rhondazvous 32 7013 June 11, 2015 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: Jenny A