Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jan. 6 Committee
Jan. 6 Committee
So, tonight, the Jan. 6 Committee will hold its first public hearing. 8 pm.

Will you watch it? Will you miss it? What do you expect from it?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Jan. 6 Committee
I'll wait for the summary.

I have to admit to being surprised that some people have been charged and sentenced due to their involvement. Somehow I don't think it will make it up to the Trumps though.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I'll wait to see what Fox has on the hearings. Coffee
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(June 9, 2022 at 11:02 am)Angrboda Wrote: I'll wait to see what Fox has on the hearings. Coffee

Ha, yeah, I later saw that there was a topic about this subject in News section tied with lack of broadcasting from Fox.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I won't watch it but I'll read the transcripts later.
"When you get the message, hang up the phone" --Alan Watts on enlightenment. Levitate
(June 9, 2022 at 10:14 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: So, tonight, the Jan. 6 Committee will hold its first public hearing. 8 pm.

Yes.  Probably ordering pizza for the occasion.

My expectation is that it will change nothing and I'll need to avoid media and social media for a few days until everyone retreats to their respective echo chambers.

As a side note regarding echo chambers, as I pointed out to my daughter this morning - it's being aired live on CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, CNBC, ABC News and perhaps others I'm missing.  Fox in DFW will instead air "Masterchef" and Fox News will be airing their normal primetime programming of the two worst people in the world.  "Fair and balanced" indeed.
(June 9, 2022 at 10:14 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: So, tonight, the Jan. 6 Committee will hold its first public hearing. 8 pm.

If it were Nixon's GOP it would be worth watching. If one of the witnesses said they had video of the orange turd skull boinking a dead dog, his supporters would claim it was a witch hunt and CG altered. 

I may watch some, but damn it, this should have been needed at all. The orange turd shouldn't have been elected at all. But he most certainly should have been impeached the first time.
(June 9, 2022 at 3:14 pm)TheJefe817 Wrote:

Yes.  Probably ordering pizza for the occasion.

My expectation is that it will change nothing and I'll need to avoid media and social media for a few days until everyone retreats to their respective echo chambers.

As a side note regarding echo chambers, as I pointed out to my daughter this morning - it's being aired live on CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, CNBC, ABC News and perhaps others I'm missing.  Fox in DFW will instead air "Masterchef" and Fox News will be airing their normal primetime programming of the two worst people in the world.  "Fair and balanced" indeed.

What "respective echo chambers"? No, in all seriousness there is no "two sides" in this. The orange turd incited the insurrection. The only reason he will get away with it, is because he has still a big enough base that if he were to actually have to go to prison, his base would try to start a civil war. But it most certainly would cause a severe uptick in more white terrorism. Some of the lower hanging fruit may get busted in all this, but the former guy is a great mafia boss, and is still too insulated to be touched so far. 

The orange turd was laying the ground for a second win, which he lost way before he even ran for election the first time. If he does not get the nomination, he has set the stage for the GOP to use his model. But if they manage to nominate someone who isn't the former guy but not bombastic and looks neutral, but isn't, that person could potentially be even more dangerous than the former guy.

I am NOT exaggerating here. The GOP has been doubling down for decades now, and they are only interested in being the only power. They have no interest in reality.
I don’t see the point. Nothing is going to come of it. Maybe if I had any real confidence that the democrats would recommend criminal charges to the DOJ, or that Merrick Garland actually had the balls to charge the orange fuck with anything I might watch. But it just seems like political theatre at this point. If they think this is going to be enough to secure them the mid terms, I think they’re badly mistaken.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(June 9, 2022 at 5:32 pm)Brian37 Wrote: What "respective echo chambers"? No, in all seriousness there is no "two sides" in this. The orange turd incited the insurrection. The only reason he will get away with it, is because he has still a big enough base that if he were to actually have to go to prison, his base would try to start a civil war. But it most certainly would cause a severe uptick in more white terrorism. Some of the lower hanging fruit may get busted in all this, but the former guy is a great mafia boss, and is still too insulated to be touched so far. 

Fair enough.  I probably should have said "corners" instead.  I would say there are two sides though - one of them is just wrong and without evidence, plausible arguments or any defense.  Not all that different than how many people replied to my naive plea for "honest" apologetics, honestly.

Interestingly, as I sit back and reflect, many of the current political disagreements may be what finally tipped the scales for me on matters of faith.  It was more the science denialism ramping up (covid, climate, abortion, etc), but also certain political events.  Notably January 6th.  I watched all this go by while spending far too much time during the pandemic watching the news and was appalled at the things people can believe with no evidence - even when the truth unfolds in 1080p streamed live.  It made me wonder what things I personally was still believing with no evidence, which changed everything for me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Poor Jan Brewer - AZ's former governor - Minimalist 26 2706 June 29, 2016 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  House Un-American Activities Committee Goes After Lego Movie EgoRaptor 3 1461 February 18, 2014 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
Lightbulb Assault weapons ban update: Senate committee holds hearing on proposed ban Nobody 2 963 February 27, 2013 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: Nobody