Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is this possible?
How is this possible?
How are these figures different?  If light is the fastest speed possible, then how is the universe longer in distance, and light would be able to travel through it, or more specifically, in radius?  Due to the BB.

Administrator Notice
Links removed per 30/30 rule. Please read and follow the rules.
RE: How is this possible?
Because photons travel within the medium that is 'Space time'.

There is nothing within our undrestanding of reailty that says space time itself cannot undergo chages.

Hence the fabric of reality is (Potenetially) 'Expanding' faster than the photons moving through it.

Great 

Not at work.
(July 4, 2022 at 11:42 pm)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: Because photons travel within the medium that is 'Space time'.

There is nothing within our undrestanding of reailty that says space time itself cannot undergo chages.

Hence the fabric of reality is (Potenetially) 'Expanding' faster than the photons moving through it.

Great 

Not at work.

TBH it took me a while to accept that the expansion of the universe could be faster than the speed of light. That really bugged the hell out of me for a long time. But, it also took me a long time to accept that color was in light not in the object/life itself.
(July 5, 2022 at 1:25 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(July 4, 2022 at 11:42 pm)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: Because photons travel within the medium that is 'Space time'.

Great 

Not at work.

TBH it took me a while to accept that the expansion of the universe could be faster than the speed of light. That really bugged the hell out of me for a long time. But, it also took me a long time to accept that color was in light not in the object/life itself.

I know, right?

"What is the colour of an Orange in the dark?" Did my head in, like, forever.     Angel

Great 

Not at work.
(July 4, 2022 at 7:43 pm)weaponoffreedom Wrote: If light is the fastest speed possible, ...
Hint: it is not
Dont believe me?

Take a laser pointer, point it at the Moon and wave it like crazy across the moon. You will (possibly, just if you wiggle hard enough) see a laser dot moving with a speed >c.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
(July 5, 2022 at 2:13 am)Deesse23 Wrote:
(July 4, 2022 at 7:43 pm)weaponoffreedom Wrote: If light is the fastest speed possible, ...

I saw a great tik-tok explaining this but I doubt I will find it again. 

Light is the fastest speed possible, but there is a sort of catch.

The universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, which means that it is inevitable that it will begin to expand faster than the speed of light (except it technically can't). The universe is expanding, but it is the expansion of space (the medium through which light moves). Whereas light is something that moves through a medium (space). We measure speed as a distance per unit of time, but the expansion of the universe is the creation of the distance (in a sense). So measuring the rate of expansion of the universe can't really be recorded as a distance per unit of time and isn't actually a speed. So, light is still the fastest thing in space/time
[Image: giphy.gif]
(July 5, 2022 at 2:13 am)Deesse23 Wrote:
Dont believe me?

Take a laser pointer, point it at the Moon and wave it like crazy across the moon. You will (possibly, just if you wiggle hard enough) see a laser dot moving with a speed >c.

[Image: Plaid-Speed.png]

Angel 

Not at work.
Minor correction, according to relativity light is not the fastest speed possible, it says no material object can travel AT the speed of light, techions are though to travel faster than light but are unable to move slower than light!. (yes, weird!)
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

I'm not a fizzicist, but it probably has something to do with all those quantums we keep hearing about.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 5, 2022 at 2:40 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Minor correction, according to relativity light is not the fastest speed possible, it says no material object can travel AT the speed of light, techions are though to travel faster than light but are unable to move slower than light!. (yes, weird!)

No experimental evidence for tachyons; they are purely hypothetical. If they exist, they might be traveling backwards in time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 16270 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Possible meteor storm tonight. Jehanne 17 1322 June 5, 2022 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Possible signs of life found in the atmosphere of Venus zebo-the-fat 11 1474 September 14, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is it ever physically possible for a broken egg to reassemble into an unbroken one? GrandizerII 39 4029 June 13, 2020 at 5:52 am
Last Post: UtilitarianDeist
  Possible 5th force of nature? Kosh 3 942 August 19, 2016 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: vorlon13