Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it ever physically possible for a broken egg to reassemble into an unbroken one?
Is it ever physically possible for a broken egg to reassemble into an unbroken one?
The conventional answer is that it would never happen. But couldn't it be the case that, while it would be extremely unlikely for a broken egg to be spontaneously reassembled into an unbroken egg, there's still nevertheless this very tiny tinge of possibility that this can happen (maybe a 1 out of a googolplex probability)?

The overall entropy may be increasing, but I don't see why the atoms that constitute a broken egg couldn't, by sheer coincidence, collect together in a way that the arrangement now constitutes an unbroken egg?

Let's see what our local physicists here have to say.
RE: Is it ever physically possible for a broken egg to reassemble into an unbroken one?
Glue and a lot of patience?
RE: Is it ever physically possible for a broken egg to reassemble into an unbroken one?
I'm not a local physicist (or even a long distance one), but I'm voting for 'impossible'.  There would need to be some attracting force between the pieces of the broken egg.  Since eggs are non-magnetic, the best candidate for the force would be gravity, which is far too weak to do the job.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I dunno about deep physics, but the eggshell when forms is just a soft membrane that solidifies just before the egg gets laid. Once that happens, the several broken pieces can't stick together without external adhesives like glue.
(September 18, 2019 at 11:07 am)Grandizer Wrote: The conventional answer is that it would never happen. But couldn't it be the case that, while it would be extremely unlikely for a broken egg to be spontaneously reassembled into an unbroken egg, there's still nevertheless this very tiny tinge of possibility that this can happen (maybe a 1 out of a googolplex probability)?

The overall entropy may be increasing, but I don't see why the atoms that constitute a broken egg couldn't, by sheer coincidence, collect together in a way that the arrangement now constitutes an unbroken egg?

The sheer coincidence would have to be a lot more sheer than you think.

You are probably thinking the odds that the broken pieces would just happen to bump into each other in precisely the same configuration as before the egg broke must be astronomical.   It is astronomical.     But even if the staggering improbable happens, the egg still won't hold together.    The egg is still just a bunch a broken pieces that happened to be arranged in the same configuration as before it was broken, and will fall apart again the very next moment.    This is because when a solid substance fractures, as in the case of an egg shell, air and dust molecules adheres to the fracture surface, so that if you fit them back together again, no matter how precisely, the solids on either side of the fracture would still be prevented from reforming the chemical bonds that once held them together.

So what more does random chance have to do to make the egg truly reassemble into a unbroken egg?    Random molecular motion of the air and airborne dust molecules that adheres to all the broken surfaces would have to contrive to simultaneously get most of them out of the way just at the precise moment when the broken pieces of the egg come together.    I would bet the chance of that happening is many orders of magnitude less than even the chances that broken part of the egg would so happen to fit together in their original configuration.
(September 18, 2019 at 11:07 am)Grandizer Wrote: The conventional answer is that it would never happen. But couldn't it be the case that, while it would be extremely unlikely for a broken egg to be spontaneously reassembled into an unbroken egg, there's still nevertheless this very tiny tinge of possibility that this can happen (maybe a 1 out of a googolplex probability)?

I'f you're trying a round about way to play the ressurection card I'm gonna slap you.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Hoodoo voodoo.
Never the less, Grandizer, is this really a physics question? IMO its more philosophical and if you don't know, thinking for the sake of thinking is not for me. Once you break an egg, its lost. Unless time travel, you can never unbreak an egg.
I tested this just after my last post.  The broken egg has not reassembled itself.

I feel vindicated.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 18, 2019 at 2:50 pm)LastPoet Wrote: Never the less, Grandizer, is this really a physics question? IMO its more philosophical and if you don't know, thinking for the sake of thinking is not for me. Once you break an egg, its lost. Unless time travel, you can never unbreak an egg.

The line between physics (at the particle level, especially) and philosophy can be a bit blurry, but I do think this is just as much a physics question than a philosophical one.

And no, this has nothing to do with supernatural events like the resurrection. It's just curiosity for me, and the fact that I spooked myself last night while looking at myself in the mirror, wondering if my reflection could ever deviate from doing the same things I'm doing in the real world ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 15600 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  How is this possible? weaponoffreedom 77 5084 July 6, 2022 at 9:45 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Possible meteor storm tonight. Jehanne 17 1310 June 5, 2022 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Possible signs of life found in the atmosphere of Venus zebo-the-fat 11 1460 September 14, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How Do They fit the CMB Into those Little Ovens? Rhondazvous 16 2313 April 26, 2019 at 7:32 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Will Our Sun Expand and Go Nova or Shrink into a Black Hole? Rhondazvous 55 7689 January 19, 2017 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: DarkerEnergy
  Possible 5th force of nature? Kosh 3 937 August 19, 2016 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Can a Positron be Turned into an Electron? Rhondazvous 14 2173 February 10, 2016 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Egg shaped planets do exist... ReptilianPeon 11 2271 July 16, 2015 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  What does the universe expand into? JaceDeanLove 3 1475 November 6, 2014 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: JaceDeanLove