Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:45 am

Poll: Does pride always hurt, never helps?
This poll is closed.
Yes
37.50%
3 37.50%
No
37.50%
3 37.50%
Other (specify)
12.50%
1 12.50%
Fuck polls. Pollls only hurt, never help.
12.50%
1 12.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pride (In The Name Of)
Pride (In The Name Of)
I recently had a call to post a quote from the Marcellus Wallace character from the movie Pulp Fiction. In that scene, Wallace is trying to counsel Bruce Willis' character regarding a deal he made with Wallace to throw a boxing match. In it, Wallace says, “The night of the fight, you may feel a slight sting. That’s pride fucking with you. Fuck pride! Pride only hurts, it never helps."

Is that true? Does pride always hurt, and never helps?

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: Pride (In The Name Of)
Consideing that the anthropomorphic personification of pride consists of a bunch of four chord merchants too lazy to learn a fifth, yes, yes it does.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Any way to narrow down the query, as in, is it true that pride never helps [in some range of situations]? Right off the cuff I can tell you that pride helps alot with kids. If they have none, or you have none in them..then you've fucked up, and they're definitely not the better for it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I would say self pride as in defined by the enjoyment of one’s own abilities is different than dignity and different than appreciation would be in most cases I can think of harmful.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
I think that pride definitely hurts in the Marcellus/Butch interaction. That aside, an appropriate level of pride (in one’s work, for example) is always a positive.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 19, 2022 at 1:12 pm)Angrboda Wrote: Does pride always hurt, and never helps?

There are different ways of defining pride. 

People who say "pride is a sin" (e.g. Dante) define pride as an over-evaluation of one's own status or abilities. This leads people to think they are better or more deserving than they are. 

This kind of pride enables the other sins. So if you feel you deserve a better life than your neighbors, just because you're you, it makes you envious.

Today it's mostly defined differently. If it's feeling realistically pleased at genuine accomplishments, surely that's fine.
Marcellus seems like the negatively prideful one in the exchange, to me, who's expectations are stymied here and elsewhere.  Movies, you know.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 19, 2022 at 1:25 pm)GUBU Wrote: Consideing that the anthropomorphic personification of pride consists of a bunch of four chord merchants too lazy to learn a fifth , yes, yes it does.

I agree with you, pride has many facets, if put in the right situation it will help a lot

Administrator Notice
Please read the rules.  Altering quotes to add external links actually breaks two rules. (Links removed)
Depends on the situation, but it no longer hurts me due to how I compartmentalize.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Name one objectively bad person ErGingerbreadMandude 57 14868 October 16, 2017 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Ignorant
  Name 1 Something that You are Sure of Walking Void 59 10878 July 27, 2013 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Zen Badger