Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anything above 40 fps worth it?
Anything above 40 fps worth it?
I have read a number of medical authorities (neurologists, ophthalmologists, etc.) who claim that anything above 40 frames per second is undetectable by the human eye.

With respect to gaming, your thoughts?  I am quite content with my 60 Hz monitor and cannot notice anything different with my son's 240 Hz monitor with his 24-core i9-12900ks.
RE: Anything above 40 fps worth it?
All I know is it's important in gaming, but only if you're engaged in competitive multi-player.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(September 12, 2022 at 9:52 am)Tomato Wrote: All I know is it's important in gaming, but only if you're engaged in competitive multi-player.

I don't notice it there, either. I have had this friendly debate with my son, but have never been able to find some controlled laboratory studies about it.
(September 12, 2022 at 9:33 am)Jehanne Wrote: I have read a number of medical authorities (neurologists, ophthalmologists, etc.) who claim that anything above 40 frames per second is undetectable by the human eye.

With respect to gaming, your thoughts?  I am quite content with my 60 Hz monitor and cannot notice anything different with my son's 240 Hz monitor with his 24-core i9-12900ks.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

(September 12, 2022 at 10:31 am)Angrboda Wrote:
(September 12, 2022 at 9:33 am)Jehanne Wrote: I have read a number of medical authorities (neurologists, ophthalmologists, etc.) who claim that anything above 40 frames per second is undetectable by the human eye.

Confirmation bias?
Are you asking or telling?
(September 12, 2022 at 11:29 am)Angrboda Wrote: Are you asking or telling?

Mostly asking, but, I am happy to have my opinion shaped by scientific evidence.
(September 12, 2022 at 11:32 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(September 12, 2022 at 11:29 am)Angrboda Wrote: Are you asking or telling?

Mostly asking, but, I am happy to have my opinion shaped by scientific evidence.

Yes, I have a strong suspicion that you've succumbed to confirmation bias. Coffee

I find 60 fps fine for me as well, if the game is not taxing the system.  Theoretically, a competitive game could benefit from higher frame rate, as ms count when trying to line up a shot.

However, there is benefit to either a higher frame rate (with sync off) and especially a high-frame rate with gsync or equivalent on games that "tax" the system.  In these, the time it takes to render a frame (CPU+GPU time) may vary.  Sometimes it may take more than 16.6 ms, and sometimes less.  By allowing the screen to display as soon as the frame becomes available, the smoothness of the display is improved.

Frame skips at 60 fps are very noticeable.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Phaser worth learning? FlatAssembler 19 4568 September 6, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  $50 worth of games for whatever price you want! Tiberius 22 6015 August 1, 2011 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn