Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In summary, what are your thoughts on what it takes to be successful?
In summary, what are your thoughts on what it takes to be successful?
I don't care if the extent of your "success credibility" is finishing a grand total of one semester in community college with straight B's on merely 9 credits (three classes), or ending up as the most influential politician in a world power like China or America, or anywhere in between. Athletic accomplishments count, video game victories count, anything counts as long as it's a worthy goal that was achieved...

For you, if you can summarize your thoughts, what do you think it takes for a person to go from rags to riches?

I consider myself a philosopher and I generally just avoid theological and metaphysical questions like the plague. But on matters of ethics, morality, psychology, and eudamonia, I get enthused to hear things and talk things.

I'm all ears. Please.
RE: In summary, what are your thoughts on what it takes to be successful?
(October 18, 2022 at 2:44 am)Gentle_Idiot Wrote: I don't care if the extent of your "success credibility" is finishing a grand total of one semester in community college with straight B's on merely 9 credits (three classes), or ending up as the most influential politician in a world power like China or America, or anywhere in between. Athletic accomplishments count, video game victories count, anything counts as long as it's a worthy goal that was achieved...

For you, if you can summarize your thoughts, what do you think it takes for a person to go from rags to riches?

I consider myself a philosopher and I generally just avoid theological and metaphysical questions like the plague. But on matters of ethics, morality, psychology, and eudamonia, I get enthused to hear things and talk things.

I'm all ears. Please.

I'm not sure what it takes to be successful, but I think that an indiscriminate, overuse of the Serious tag might very well be a roadblock to success.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 18, 2022 at 2:44 am)Gentle_Idiot Wrote: For you, if you can summarize your thoughts, what do you think it takes for a person to go from rags to riches?

It takes finding a way to Inherit the riches.
(October 18, 2022 at 3:12 am)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(October 18, 2022 at 2:44 am)Gentle_Idiot Wrote: For you, if you can summarize your thoughts, what do you think it takes for a person to go from rags to riches?

It takes finding a way to Inherit the riches.

So Pacquiao and Buakaw, both champion boxers, were born into wealth?

Come on man. lol
(October 18, 2022 at 3:18 am)Gentle_Idiot Wrote:
(October 18, 2022 at 3:12 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: It takes finding a way to Inherit the riches.

So Pacquiao and Buakaw, both champion boxers, were born into wealth?

Come on man. lol

Compare the number of people who are wealthy because they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps to the number of people who became wealth because they inherited it.

Not saying it can’t be done, but having to work for it does not give the best odds of getting there.
(October 18, 2022 at 3:20 am)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(October 18, 2022 at 3:18 am)Gentle_Idiot Wrote: So Pacquiao and Buakaw, both champion boxers, were born into wealth?

Come on man. lol

Compare the number of people who are wealthy because they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps to the number of people who became wealth because they inherited it.

Not saying it can’t be done, but having to work for it does not give the best odds of getting there.

Oh, fair enough. I actually haven't paid much attention to the demographics of it.
Quote:In summary, what are your thoughts on what it takes to be successful?

Patience is key, first and foremost. Next comes having a healthy sense of detachment from the outcome of your actions. Never get so invested in your work that you lose sight of why you started doing the work in the first place. And also, rewarding yourself for a job well done is a fairly good idea, just don't go overboard.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(October 18, 2022 at 5:06 am)Ahriman Wrote:
Quote:In summary, what are your thoughts on what it takes to be successful?

Patience is key, first and foremost. Next comes having a healthy sense of detachment from the outcome of your actions. Never get so invested in your work that you lose sight of why you started doing the work in the first place. And also, rewarding yourself for a job well done is a fairly good idea, just don't go overboard.

Your patience recommendation speaks deeply to me.

People forget that success is a matter of years of consistent hard work.
(October 18, 2022 at 5:17 am)Gentle_Idiot Wrote:
(October 18, 2022 at 5:06 am)Ahriman Wrote: Patience is key, first and foremost. Next comes having a healthy sense of detachment from the outcome of your actions. Never get so invested in your work that you lose sight of why you started doing the work in the first place. And also, rewarding yourself for a job well done is a fairly good idea, just don't go overboard.

Your patience recommendation speaks deeply to me.

People forget that success is a matter of years of consistent hard work.

Don’t leave out the luck factor.

‘There’s a thousand better singers than me out there, singers you’ve never heard of. Why me and not them? Because I was in the right place at the right time. Lucky fuckin’ me, mate.’ - Ozzy Osbourne

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Be prepared to work long hours and make good money while you're young. Live frugally and avoid buying things on credit whenever you can. Invest in stocks bonds and mutual funds through reliable investment companies. Never have kids. Never get married.  Thinking
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you have sometimes thoughts of commiting crime like stealing? purplepurpose 16 1520 July 31, 2023 at 11:27 am
Last Post: rado84
  Fighting Depression and Suicidal Thoughts DeistPaladin 27 2619 March 27, 2019 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  I'm still getting haunted by religious thoughts but purplepurpose 16 1305 January 12, 2019 at 4:14 am
Last Post: onlinebiker