Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avoidant Personality Disorder
Avoidant Personality Disorder
Is anyone familiar with APD? I have it, although I'm managing it rather well nowadays. But it really sucks, it makes you super paranoid and dis-trusting of people. 0/10 would not recommend.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
RE: Avoidant Personality Disorder
(October 20, 2022 at 4:22 am)Ahriman Wrote: Is anyone familiar with APD? I have it, although I'm managing it rather well nowadays. But it really sucks, it makes you super paranoid and dis-trusting of people. 0/10 would not recommend.

Why don’t you put your god given condition to good use and avoid this forum?
(October 20, 2022 at 4:29 am)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(October 20, 2022 at 4:22 am)Ahriman Wrote: Is anyone familiar with APD? I have it, although I'm managing it rather well nowadays. But it really sucks, it makes you super paranoid and dis-trusting of people. 0/10 would not recommend.

Why don’t you put your god given condition to good use and avoid this forum?

What a useless response. Stay salty.

Have you been to a doctor, or did you self-diagnose via something like WebMD?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

I'd never heard of this before. I'm sorry to hear you have to deal with this.

Here's the top of the Wikipedia page:

Quote:Avoidant personality disorder (AvPD) is a Cluster C personality disorder characterized by excessive social anxiety and inhibitionfear of intimacy(despite an intense desire for it), severe feelings of inadequacy and inferiority, and an overreliance on avoidance of feared stimuli (e.g. self-imposed social isolation) as a maladaptive coping method.[1] Those affected typically display a pattern of extreme sensitivity to negative evaluation and rejection, a belief that one is socially inept or personally unappealing to others, and avoidance of social interaction despite a strong desire for it.[2] It affects an approximately equal number of men and women.[3]

People with AvPD often avoid social interaction for fear of being ridiculed, humiliated, rejected, or disliked. They typically avoid becoming involved with others unless they are certain they will not be rejected, and may also pre-emptively abandon relationships due to a real or imagined fear that they are at risk of being rejected by the other party.[4]

Do you find that your anxiety is different in person than on the Internet? Because on this forum you don't seem to be overly anxious about being disliked. You come across as sort of inviting it, in fact. (Top level trolling.) But this could be another coping mechanism, I don't know.
(October 20, 2022 at 4:48 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Have you been to a doctor, or did you self-diagnose via something like WebMD?

Boru

I have not been diagnosed by a doctor. But I don't need to be. I know I have it. The paranoia I feel speaks for itself.
(October 20, 2022 at 4:50 am)Belacqua Wrote:

I'd never heard of this before. I'm sorry to hear you have to deal with this.

Here's the top of the Wikipedia page:

Quote:Avoidant personality disorder (AvPD) is a Cluster C personality disorder characterized by excessive social anxiety and inhibitionfear of intimacy(despite an intense desire for it), severe feelings of inadequacy and inferiority, and an overreliance on avoidance of feared stimuli (e.g. self-imposed social isolation) as a maladaptive coping method.[1] Those affected typically display a pattern of extreme sensitivity to negative evaluation and rejection, a belief that one is socially inept or personally unappealing to others, and avoidance of social interaction despite a strong desire for it.[2] It affects an approximately equal number of men and women.[3]

People with AvPD often avoid social interaction for fear of being ridiculed, humiliated, rejected, or disliked. They typically avoid becoming involved with others unless they are certain they will not be rejected, and may also pre-emptively abandon relationships due to a real or imagined fear that they are at risk of being rejected by the other party.[4]

Do you find that your anxiety is different in person than on the Internet? Because on this forum you don't seem to be overly anxious about being disliked. You come across as sort of inviting it, in fact. (Top level trolling.) But this could be another coping mechanism, I don't know.

Thank you for the narcissistic supply.
(October 20, 2022 at 4:51 am)Ahriman Wrote:
(October 20, 2022 at 4:48 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Have you been to a doctor, or did you self-diagnose via something like WebMD?

Boru

I have not been diagnosed by a doctor. But I don't need to be. I know I have it. The paranoia I feel speaks for itself.

Don't shop for a diagnosis. If you need help, see a licensed PhD psychologist and let him/her evaluate you. Be truthful in your session.
If it's the truth, his mother is pretty high level in the medical field. He's never waivered on that detail.

Throwing out different diagnoses is a thing with Ahriman.

Did get a laugh out of Bel accusing someone else of 'top level trolling'.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(October 20, 2022 at 6:29 am)arewethereyet Wrote: If it's the truth, his mother is pretty high level in the medical field.  He's never waivered on that detail.  

Throwing out different diagnoses is a thing with Ahriman.

Did get a laugh out of Bel accusing someone else of 'top level trolling'.

My mom is (was) a nurse practitioner, and is now a dermatologist, with her own skin care clinic. Very type A sort of woman.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Favorite Personality Test So Far Edwardo Piet 23 4215 June 2, 2018 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Personality Test Catholic_Lady 110 12084 January 21, 2017 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  what do girls like for guys as far as looks/personality? Rextos 32 3629 May 25, 2016 at 2:02 am
Last Post: robvalue
  "I may be fat, but I beat my eating disorder" Napoléon 225 33072 February 18, 2016 at 3:03 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Personality Test: Are you a Cat or a Dog? Rhondazvous 30 4737 September 1, 2015 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Which is your personality type :D ErGingerbreadMandude 67 6224 July 31, 2015 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What's your Myers Briggs personality type? Weewah 33 5892 May 15, 2014 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Over- and mis- diagnosis of mental disorders (Was: Bipolar Disorder) Gilgamesh 50 15076 June 14, 2013 at 1:30 am
Last Post: Gilgamesh
  Bipolar Disorder Creed of Heresy 10 2443 June 10, 2013 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Living with Anxiety Disorder and Aspergers SkepticalMoron 19 4033 November 14, 2012 at 8:41 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko