Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xtian Therapist/ Atheist Patient
Rainbow 
Xtian Therapist/ Atheist Patient
Can a therapist who is Xtian (as opposed to someone engaged in Xtian Counseling) treat an atheist patient unbiasedly? Will they forever - secretly- have conversion as part of the Wacky  treatment plan.
RE: Xtian Therapist/ Atheist Patient
(November 23, 2022 at 4:06 pm)Uberpod Wrote: Can a therapist who is Xtian (as opposed to someone engaged in Xtian Counseling) treat an atheist patient unbiasedly? Will they forever - secretly- have conversion as part of the Wacky  treatment plan.

Of course. It seems implausible that all atheists in therapy by Christians aren’t getting proper care.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
A good therapist isn't preaching to their clients. Nor are they biased based on other things....sexuality, race...etc, etc, etc.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(November 23, 2022 at 5:22 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 23, 2022 at 4:06 pm)Uberpod Wrote: Can a therapist who is Xtian (as opposed to someone engaged in Xtian Counseling) treat an atheist patient unbiasedly? Will they forever - secretly- have conversion as part of the Wacky  treatment plan.

Of course. It seems implausible that all atheists in therapy by Christians aren’t getting proper care.

Boru

Is it possible a significant minority of xtian therapists are not doing a great job because of this.
(November 23, 2022 at 7:37 pm)Uberpod Wrote:
(November 23, 2022 at 5:22 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Of course. It seems implausible that all atheists in therapy by Christians aren’t getting proper care.

Boru

Is it possible a  significant minority of xtian therapists are not doing a great job because of this.

Dafuq is a significant minority?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

A significant minority is a percentage of occurrence that is less probable but still important enough to deserve attention.
If you go to a Christian therapist and they aren't working out for you, you look for another therapist.

Some people are good at their jobs. Some aren't. Christian or not doesn't necessarily come into play.

What is your issue here?

A lesbian friend of mine saw an Xtian therapist for two years before she found out her therapist had strong views about same sex conduct being a sin and actual doubts the patient was a lesbian because of my friends previous marriage to a man.

I expect such bias is subtle but can be problematic. I don't know how widespread this is. Just want an idea how pervasive.
You don't have to be Christian to be against same sex relationships.

If your story is true, your 'friend' should have found another therapist. But if it took two years to come to light seems like it wasn't an issue for quite a while.

I'm calling BS.

Any input from more reasonable persons will be greatly appreciated.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Despite patient risks, most docs, nurse practitioners go to work when sick Pyrrho 1 818 July 7, 2015 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie