Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The laws of thermodynamics
The laws of thermodynamics
The laws of thermodynamics:

1. You can't win, you can only break even.

2. You can only break even at absolute zero.*

3. You can never actually get to absolute zero.

* No, believers. this one is not violated by descent with variation culled by natural selection. Fifty points from Hufflepuff.
RE: The laws of thermodynamics
All that the Law of thermal dynamics says is but this: you are screwed.
(November 24, 2022 at 9:44 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: The laws of thermodynamics:

* No, believers. this one is not violated by descent with variation culled by natural selection.  Fifty points from Hufflepuff.
Also to believers unless you can demonstrate these laws held before the formation of the universe you can't use them to argue for magic.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

I've seen something similar, posted as 'Murphy's Laws of Thermogoddamics':

1. An object at rest will always be in the wrong place.

2. An object in motion will always be going in the wrong direction.

3. The amount of energy required to change either of the states will always be more than you wish to expend, but never so much that it makes the experiment non-feasible.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 25, 2022 at 3:08 am)Helios Wrote:
(November 24, 2022 at 9:44 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: The laws of thermodynamics:

* No, believers. this one is not violated by descent with variation culled by natural selection.  Fifty points from Hufflepuff.
Also to believers unless you can demonstrate these laws held before the formation of the universe you can't use them to argue for magic.

As I have pointed out (and, any of our resident academics, feel free to disagree), we must, at the very least, live in a 5-dimensional Universe, three spatial, one time, with the 5th dimension being a hyper spherical or saddle type geometry where our Universe is expanding without a unique spatial center. No one can directly visualize this geometry, as we are trapped in our 3-dimensional World. This implies the existence of "new physics", which means that the God of the Gaps arguments are pointless.
(November 25, 2022 at 10:06 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(November 25, 2022 at 3:08 am)Helios Wrote: Also to believers unless you can demonstrate these laws held before the formation of the universe you can't use them to argue for magic.

As I have pointed out (and, any of our resident academics, feel free to disagree), we must, at the very least, live in a 5-dimensional Universe, three spatial, one time, with the 5th dimension being a hyper spherical or saddle type geometry where our Universe is expanding without a unique spatial center.  No one can directly visualize this geometry, as we are trapped in our 3-dimensional World.  This implies the existence of "new physics", which means that the God of the Gaps arguments are pointless.

Spacial dimensions have a continuous bidirectional structure.  The dimension of time has a light-cone structure with no-go regions outside of the cones.  This wasn't taken into account by, for example, H.G. Wells in "The Time Machine", he simply spacialized time.  A proposed fifth dimension would need to be accompanied by a precise foliation or not even the pre-print archive would accept your paper .
(November 25, 2022 at 10:21 am)LinuxGal Wrote:
(November 25, 2022 at 10:06 am)Jehanne Wrote: As I have pointed out (and, any of our resident academics, feel free to disagree), we must, at the very least, live in a 5-dimensional Universe, three spatial, one time, with the 5th dimension being a hyper spherical or saddle type geometry where our Universe is expanding without a unique spatial center.  No one can directly visualize this geometry, as we are trapped in our 3-dimensional World.  This implies the existence of "new physics", which means that the God of the Gaps arguments are pointless.

Spacial dimensions have a continuous bidirectional structure.  The dimension of time has a light-cone structure with no-go regions outside of the cones.  This wasn't taken into account by, for example, H.G. Wells in "The Time Machine", he simply spacialized time.  A proposed fifth dimension would need to be accompanied by a precise foliation or not even the pre-print archive would accept your paper .

I don't think that mathematicians have problems describing such structures, only visualizing them directly, which is true of all of us. I know that Albert Einstein worked on a 5-dimensional TOE; a picture of him at a blackboard with some other mathematical physicists is out there somewhere.
(November 25, 2022 at 11:01 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(November 25, 2022 at 10:21 am)LinuxGal Wrote: Spacial dimensions have a continuous bidirectional structure.  The dimension of time has a light-cone structure with no-go regions outside of the cones.  This wasn't taken into account by, for example, H.G. Wells in "The Time Machine", he simply spacialized time.  A proposed fifth dimension would need to be accompanied by a precise foliation or not even the pre-print archive would accept your paper .

I don't think that mathematicians have problems describing such structures, only visualizing them directly, which is true of all of us.  I know that Albert Einstein worked on a 5-dimensional TOE; a picture of him at a blackboard with some other mathematical physicists is out there somewhere.

No difficulty at all describing them.

Most people can't *really* visualize 3D, let alone 5D. But 5D isn't that hard: just think in 4D and add one dimension. Smile
(November 25, 2022 at 1:15 pm)polymath257 Wrote:
(November 25, 2022 at 11:01 am)Jehanne Wrote: I don't think that mathematicians have problems describing such structures, only visualizing them directly, which is true of all of us.  I know that Albert Einstein worked on a 5-dimensional TOE; a picture of him at a blackboard with some other mathematical physicists is out there somewhere.

No difficulty at all describing them.

Most people can't *really* visualize 3D, let alone 5D. But 5D isn't that hard: just think in 4D and add one dimension. Smile

So 5D is just can’t cubed.
(November 25, 2022 at 1:34 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(November 25, 2022 at 1:15 pm)polymath257 Wrote: No difficulty at all describing them.

So 5D is just can’t cubed.

As the dimensions go up, the degree of visualization goes down, but the ability to use the math goes up.

In many way mathematically, 5D is easier than 3D. For example, the 5D Poincare conjecture was known LONG before the 3D version was proved.

3D is usually considered to be hardest because visualization starts to fail and there isn't enough 'space' to do the tricks higher dimensions allow.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are Laws of Nature? vulcanlogician 63 4180 March 23, 2022 at 9:15 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  T-violation and conservation laws cosmology 0 504 December 29, 2017 at 12:40 am
Last Post: cosmology
  The second law of thermodynamics and evolution king krish 65 9344 January 9, 2015 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Scientists Claim Laws Of Physics Change Throughout The Universe solja247 21 7942 September 24, 2010 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Jaysyn
  Yale thermodynamics theVOID 2 1625 February 5, 2010 at 10:57 am
Last Post: FaithvsFact