Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The argument from degree
The argument from degree
Aquinas: [T]he maximum in any genus is the cause of all in that genus; as fire, which is the maximum heat, is the cause of all hot things. Therefore there must also be something which is to all beings the cause of their being, goodness, and every other perfection; and this we call God. 

I answer that:

A bachelor has a least dirty shirt in his apartment, which is a tautology, but it does not follow that he has a clean shirt. The being with the greatest perfection is not necessarily a being with infinite perfection.
RE: The argument from degree
Fire is the cause of all hot things? What about chemical reactions that get hot without fire
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(December 31, 2022 at 8:14 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Fire is the cause of all hot things?   What about chemical reactions that get hot without fire

Thomists hate it when you bring out physics from the 19th Century and later.
My favorite fire starter? Soak charcoal briquettes in water and wait. Freaks people out.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(December 31, 2022 at 6:48 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: Aquinas: [T]he maximum in any genus is the cause of all in that genus; as fire, which is the maximum heat, is the cause of all hot things. Therefore there must also be something which is to all beings the cause of their being, goodness, and every other perfection; and this we call God. 

I answer that:

A bachelor has a least dirty shirt in his apartment, which is a tautology, but it does not follow that he has a clean shirt. The being with the greatest perfection is not necessarily a being with infinite perfection.
I like your answer.  I've also heard that an even greater being could do all of the things that gods are supposed to do but it could do them while not existing, therefore god does not exist.  

Aquinas' argument is total rationalism or reasoning above facts.  The first cause is existence qua existence.  Where does life come from?  Existence.  Where did the earth come from?  Existence.  Where does consciousness come from?  Existence.  It's existence all the way down.  Where did existence come from then?  Blank out.  There's nowhere for it to come from or go to.
"Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture,  an intransigent mind, and a step that travels unlimited roads."

"The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see."
(December 31, 2022 at 9:07 pm)Fireball Wrote: My favorite fire starter? Soak charcoal briquettes in water and wait. Freaks people out.

What happens?  Now I'm going to have to try it.
"Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture,  an intransigent mind, and a step that travels unlimited roads."

"The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see."
(December 31, 2022 at 8:15 pm)LinuxGal Wrote:
(December 31, 2022 at 8:14 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Fire is the cause of all hot things?   What about chemical reactions that get hot without fire

Thomists hate it when you bring out physics from the 19th Century and later.

They'll just admit the physics expressed by Aquinas is outdated, but that this nevertheless has no bearing on the argument perse (since it's just an example).
(December 31, 2022 at 11:26 pm)Objectivist Wrote:
(December 31, 2022 at 6:48 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: Aquinas: [T]he maximum in any genus is the cause of all in that genus; as fire, which is the maximum heat, is the cause of all hot things. Therefore there must also be something which is to all beings the cause of their being, goodness, and every other perfection; and this we call God. 

I answer that:

I like your answer.  I've also heard that an even greater being could do all of the things that gods are supposed to do but it could do them while not existing, therefore god does not exist.  

Aquinas' argument is total rationalism or reasoning above facts.  The first cause is existence qua existence.  Where does life come from?  Existence.  Where did the earth come from?  Existence.  Where does consciousness come from?  Existence.  It's existence all the way down.  Where did existence come from then?  Blank out.  There's nowhere for it to come from or go to.

According to Aquinas, the first cause is one and the same as existence. So while I'm sure you mean something quite different from what Aquinas argued for, the wording here isn't too different from what he said.

That said, could you elaborate on what you mean by existence here? It seems to be something concrete here, rather than an abstract.
(December 31, 2022 at 11:42 pm)GrandizerII Wrote:
(December 31, 2022 at 11:26 pm)Objectivist Wrote: I like your answer.  I've also heard that an even greater being could do all of the things that gods are supposed to do but it could do them while not existing, therefore god does not exist.  

According to Aquinas, the first cause is one and the same as existence. So while I'm sure you mean something quite different from what Aquinas argued for, the wording here isn't too different from what he said.

That said, could you elaborate on what you mean by existence here? It seems to be something concrete here, rather than an abstract.
The concept 'existence' is an abstraction but it references everything that exists so it's the widest of all abstractions.  When I use the concept in this context it is taken to mean existence as such and not any particular existent.  The concept 'existence' means every concrete, its attributes, its actions, its relationships, everything.

I answer that:

Indeed being the greatest of something does not lead to god.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree of love with relationship to knowledge. Mystic 1 1586 May 6, 2013 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: John V