Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old-school anime (japanimation) fans anyone?
Old-school anime (japanimation) fans anyone?
I'm specifically talking about the old-school anime (Japanese animation) from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and early 2000s. Stuff like Robotech (Macross), Samurai Pizza Cats, Dragon Ball (original series and DBZ), Voltron: Defenders of the Universe, Pokemon, to name a few.

I like the older anime because they more interesting stories and aren't about shoving boobs and ass in your face every two minutes (not saying all new animes do this, but some go WAY to far with it).

Btw, the Harmony Gold dub of Dragon Ball is an absolute gold-mine of meme-worthy. (Check out the Harmony Gold dub of Dragon Ball on YouTube and you'll see what I'm talking about)
RE: Old-school anime (japanimation) fans anyone?
My knowledge of anime wouldn't fill a thimble...but a past bookkeeping client of mine is the American voice for Trunks.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(January 4, 2023 at 11:04 pm)johnnyboy Wrote: I'm specifically talking about the old-school anime (Japanese animation) from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and early 2000s. Stuff like Robotech (Macross), Samurai Pizza Cats, Dragon Ball (original series and DBZ), Voltron: Defenders of the Universe, Pokemon, to name a few.

I like the older anime because they more interesting stories and aren't about shoving boobs and ass in your face every two minutes (not saying all new animes do this, but some go WAY to far with it).

Btw, the Harmony Gold dub of Dragon Ball is an absolute gold-mine of meme-worthy. (Check out the Harmony Gold dub of Dragon Ball on YouTube and you'll see what I'm talking about)
I'm a huge studio Ghibli fan

Princess Mononoke/Howl's Moving Castle/ Kiki's Delivery Service/Castle In The Sky/Nausicaa Valley Of The Wind/Spirited Away/Graveyard Of The FireFlies (Most Heartbreaking film i have ever watched)

I Love Rumiko Takahashi's work 

Maison Ikkoku/ Ranma 1/2/Urusei Yatsura/One Pound Gospel

Own and love the Animated Version Of Doomed Megalopolis
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

I watch quite a bit of anime. Not exactly a weeaboo, but I’ve Got a lot of Miyazaki’s work on some format or another, I’ve watched a couple anime and am royally pissed that the only ways I can see the original dub of Eva is from bootlegs or paying far out the ass for some long-OOP DVDs (or maybe a ludicrously expensive limited edition set from Shout Factory). That said, I prefer shorter anime than anything with a super long run like One Piece or the Naruto franchise.

I even read some manga on occasion, including Devilman, which I’m reading in preparation for my upcoming Deep Hurting Project review of the 2004 movie.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(January 4, 2023 at 11:18 pm)Helios Wrote:
(January 4, 2023 at 11:04 pm)johnnyboy Wrote: I'm specifically talking about the old-school anime (Japanese animation) from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and early 2000s. Stuff like Robotech (Macross), Samurai Pizza Cats, Dragon Ball (original series and DBZ), Voltron: Defenders of the Universe, Pokemon, to name a few.

I'm a huge studio Ghibli fan

Princess Mononoke/Howl's Moving Castle/ Kiki's Delivery Service/Castle In The Sky/Nausicaa Valley Of The Wind/Spirited Away/Graveyard Of The FireFlies (Most Heartbreaking film i have ever watched)

I Love Rumiko Takahashi's work 

Maison Ikkoku/ Ranma 1/2/Urusei Yatsura/One Pound Gospel

Own and love the Animated Version Of Doomed Megalopolis

Yeah, I like Ranma 1/2 as well. I remember watching it several years ago, and it was like nothing I've ever seen before. So zany and bizarre.

I've only seen a little bit of Urusei Yatsura, and I haven't seen the other shows you mentioned.
I could be induced to watch anime, but it would require a set-up something like this:

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Naruto is the Best anime.

Ah. I remember a friend and I trekking into the city to watch an un-dubbed couple of movies on an actual Japanese Beta tape player.

Some artist by the name of "Hayao Miyazaki".

Something about a young girl. Comming of age. Talking cat.

Good times.

Great 

Not at work
(January 5, 2023 at 8:48 am)Peebothuhlu Wrote:

Ah. I remember a friend and I trekking into the city to watch an un-dubbed couple of movies on an actual Japanese Beta tape player.

Some artist by the name of "Hayao Miyazaki".

Something about a young girl. Comming of age. Talking cat.

Good times.

Great 

Not at work
Which one?

Kiki's Delivery Service 

Whispers Of The Heart

The Cat Returns
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Given that Miyazaki wasn’t involved in the latter two, it looks like Kiki would be the obvious choice.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  School Shooting Range (Original Song) Mechaghostman2 4 917 April 17, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Has anyone here seen this Anime OVA before? ƵenKlassen 0 485 December 1, 2017 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: ƵenKlassen
  The United States' most dangerous school... ƵenKlassen 0 345 November 27, 2017 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: ƵenKlassen
  Best anime series and anime movie in the world ErGingerbreadMandude 26 4272 November 20, 2017 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  For you Criminal Minds fans Foxaèr 1 422 March 31, 2016 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Battlestar Galactica Fans: Revised BSG, Love It or Hate It? Secular Elf 39 9942 June 15, 2015 at 5:48 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Doctor makes fans day at the Doctor Who Experience Cyberman 3 1314 March 31, 2015 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Anime & Manga Thread null--69 37 6232 January 22, 2015 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Films and anime Dystopia 2 893 July 1, 2014 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Any fans of "The Newsroom" out there? ThePrimeSingularity 1 946 November 27, 2013 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr