Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Writer's strike
Writer's strike
So apparently a new writer's strike is looming. It will probably start on Monday if they don't settle things. The last strike was in 2007 and back then I actually did watch some shows and was actually annoyed by it somewhat. But today it's like meh. I don't even watch any ongoing shows. And maybe a break is a good thing because there are already so many TV shows that people may use the break to discover those that are already made. Or not. It seems that unlike in 2007 there are much fewer people watching TV and more into spending time on social media.

So that is my opinion. What is yours?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Writer's strike
TV... is it still a thing?
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Unless I am binge watching a series, I don't really watch TV much. True crime plays a lot to make noise in the house but I don't watch TV dramas or sitcoms such as are shown on the regular networks.

With the roughly eight gazillion things I can stream, I doubt the strike will even be noticed around here.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I won't notice a thing, I don't watch broadcast TV at all, and I have more than enough new-to-me content in streaming services to keep me entertained for the small amount of time I spent in front of the TV
For viewers, the most immediate effect will be felt on talk and sketch shows. Late night shows like “Saturday Night Live,” “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” and “The Late Show With Stephen Colbert,” will likely go dark immediately. Reality series and some international shows, which are not covered by the guild, will be aired in heavy rotation.

It would take a long strike before there is a slowdown in the arrival of new TV shows and movies, because the production process for them can take months or more than a year.

A prolonged production shutdown could also prove damaging to local economies, particularly the workers who help support productions, such as drivers, costume dry cleaners, caterers, set carpenters and lumber yard workers. When the writers last went on strike, for 100 days in 2007, the Los Angeles economy lost an estimated $2.1 billion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/01/busin...trike.html
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Couldn't care any less, broadcast content is all garbage. Now the actors are on strike? F every single one of them.
(July 18, 2023 at 8:04 pm)MR. Macabre 666 Wrote: Couldn't care any less, broadcast content is all garbage. Now the actors are on strike? F every single one of them.

So, no change then?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(July 18, 2023 at 8:04 pm)MR. Macabre 666 Wrote: Couldn't care any less, broadcast content is all garbage. Now the actors are on strike? F every single one of them.

You don’t think actors should strike?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
[Image: 002366236.png]
This has been going on for a long time now. Each side is trying to starve the other. Is there any other word but war to describe it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "I Love Rock And Roll" co writer dies COVID-19 Brian37 3 432 March 30, 2020 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  An example of why interpretation of a writer's work is not a good idea. Foxaèr 0 359 June 28, 2018 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  As a writer Foxaèr 5 665 May 30, 2016 at 9:29 pm
Last Post: carusmm
  Since there is still no writer's section Foxaèr 13 1590 January 6, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Atheist song writer singer Shelley Segal Brian37 3 1665 April 15, 2013 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: Brayton.l