Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God acts like Stalin.
God acts like Stalin.
God doesn't care a lot about his "peasants". There is a lot of cynism, apathy, passivness in the way God acts. Like for example, a cancer patient at young age just dies, EVEN if a lot of people prayed for him.
RE: God acts like Stalin.
Interesting, are you implying the old Epicurus notion of God? What other things do you see that lead you to these attributes of God? Interestingly I don't see a denial of God in this just a judgment of perceived acts (or lack thereof)
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
(May 12, 2023 at 12:31 pm)Kingpin Wrote: Interesting, are you implying the old Epicurus notion of God?  What other things do you see that lead you to these attributes of God?  Interestingly I don't see a denial of God in this just a judgment of perceived acts (or lack thereof)

The overall passivness of God, despide how He is endlessly praised for his divine attributes in the bible is very heart breaking.
(May 12, 2023 at 12:41 pm)purplepurpose Wrote:
(May 12, 2023 at 12:31 pm)Kingpin Wrote: Interesting, are you implying the old Epicurus notion of God?  What other things do you see that lead you to these attributes of God?  Interestingly I don't see a denial of God in this just a judgment of perceived acts (or lack thereof)

The overall passivness of God, despide how He is endlessly praised for his divine attributes in the bible is very heart breaking.

Interesting, can I ask what you expect from God in light of what you see and are making judgments about?  What should He do?
(May 12, 2023 at 12:45 pm)Kingpin Wrote:
(May 12, 2023 at 12:41 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: The overall passivness of God, despide how He is endlessly praised for his divine attributes in the bible is very heart breaking.

Interesting, can I ask what you expect from God in light of what you see and are making judgments about?  What should He do?

Act less like Stalin. In ideal world God would answer more prayers. But that would be some sort of heavenly world.
(May 12, 2023 at 12:47 pm)purplepurpose Wrote:
(May 12, 2023 at 12:45 pm)Kingpin Wrote: Interesting, can I ask what you expect from God in light of what you see and are making judgments about?  What should He do?

Act less like Stalin. In ideal world God would answer more prayers. But that would be some sort of heavenly world.

What evidence do you have that he doesn't answer prayers?  Too many people think prayers are like wishes.  This is MY desire, God please fulfill it.  Maybe His answer is no.  Or "not right now".  

Prayer is turning to God for His will to be done and to provide comfort and guidance in our time of need.  It's also to go to Him in gladness, thankfulness for provision, etc.  Like a toddler that looks to their parent for everything.  

I would of course argue that God has done something to provide a Heavenly world.  That is in the work of the person of Jesus Christ, his death and resurrection
(May 12, 2023 at 1:00 pm)Kingpin Wrote:
(May 12, 2023 at 12:47 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: Act less like Stalin. In ideal world God would answer more prayers. But that would be some sort of heavenly world.

What evidence do you have that he doesn't answer prayers?  Too many people think prayers are like wishes.  This is MY desire, God please fulfill it.  Maybe His answer is no.  Or "not right now".  

Prayer is turning to God for His will to be done and to provide comfort and guidance in our time of need.  It's also to go to Him in gladness, thankfulness for provision, etc.  Like a toddler that looks to their parent for everything.  

I would of course argue that God has done something to provide a Heavenly world.  That is in the work of the person of Jesus Christ, his death and resurrection

Why God answers no to a young cancer patient and lets him die, even with a lots of prayers?
(May 12, 2023 at 12:45 pm)Kingpin Wrote:
(May 12, 2023 at 12:41 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: The overall passivness of God, despide how He is endlessly praised for his divine attributes in the bible is very heart breaking.

Expectations are interesting.  If we're talking about expectations any rational person might have with respect to a god as a moral actor, at least as much as any human should do in a given situation? If we don't expect gods to be moral actors, then I guess there are no shoulds for gods, just as there are no shoulds for a flesh eating virus.

In the latter case, the above is not so much a criticism of god, or a failed expectation - as it is a lament about how people, despite gods amorality or immorality, still sing it's praises as a morality maker.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 12, 2023 at 12:47 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: Act less like Stalin. In ideal world God would answer more prayers. But that would be some sort of heavenly world.

Then again...going by the afflicted's current politics......are you really sure that answering more of their prayers would be a moral thing to do....?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 12, 2023 at 1:26 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote:
(May 12, 2023 at 12:45 pm)Kingpin Wrote: Interesting, can I ask what you expect from God in light of what you see and are making judgments about?  What should He do?

Expectations are interesting.  If we're talking about expectations any rational person might have with respect to a god as a moral actor, at least as much as any human should do in a given situation?  If we don't expect gods to be moral actors, then I guess there are no shoulds for gods, just as there are no shoulds for a flesh eating virus.

In the latter case, the above is not so much a criticism of god, or a failed expectation - as it is a lament about how people, despite gods amorality or immorality, still sing it's praises as a morality maker.

Because of wish to experience really joyful life in heaven? And also not get hurt in hell.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  a, like, mechanically, like, sort of like, reaction to the whole "god" thing, yeah. Edwardo Piet 7 2954 January 29, 2013 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet