Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about General rel and quanta phys
Question about General rel and quanta phys
Dear Buggars,

I have a question for the lovers of physics. So General relativity equations and math are highly predictable because of the probability of massive objects like stars, planets, and black holes being where they'll always be like clockwork. In human terms the numbers seem huge because we think in terms of the sun being 96 million miles from us. And physicists know that the celestial objects are so probable because it would take a massive object appearing out of nowhere before you could knock a star or a planet off its orbit. And that is beyond the laws of physics and we know that because no physicist can write a peer reviewed paper where that is feasible in scientific terms.

My question is if what i'm about to say is true about quantum physics being similar yet "spooky" to general relativity. Is it spooky because these quantum particles are proportionally just as far away from each other as the earth and sun, yet in quantum physics, these quantum particles really could have proportionally large body objects that could really appear in the gravitational space in between?

Because I think this is why a lot people have those idiotic theories where they believe that the sty on my left buttcheek has a whole universe of its own where I was born to speak Finnish instead of merican
RE: Question about General rel and quanta phys
The phrase "spooky action at a distance" refers to quantum entanglement. Not the spontaneous generation of macro scale objects.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quantum physics is 'spooky' because it defies our intuitions about how things should behave, most of which are based on macroscopic objects.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
There are 3 things that are odd about quantum mechanics

1. Entanglement - often called "spooky action at a distance"
  2. Uncertainty - the more precisely we know where something is, the less precisely we know its momentum, and vice-versa
  3. Measurement - all properties are probabilities (described by the wavefunction) until measured.  But what is measurement?  In the Copenhagen Interpretation, it is the collapse of the wavefunction, but how, why, and when does that happen?  It is not clear how a universe of probabilities becomes a fixed reality on macroscopic scales, and yet it does.
All 3 of these things are important when talking about small ensembles of basic particles.  They become less important when we get more massive objects.
(June 16, 2023 at 2:30 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote: There are 3 things that are odd about quantum mechanics

1. Entanglement - often called "spooky action at a distance"
  2. Uncertainty - the more precisely we know where something is, the less precisely we know its momentum, and vice-versa
  3. Measurement - all properties are probabilities (described by the wavefunction) until measured.  But what is measurement?  In the Copenhagen Interpretation, it is the collapse of the wavefunction, but how, why, and when does that happen?  It is not clear how a universe of probabilities becomes a fixed reality on macroscopic scales, and yet it does.
All 3 of these things are important when talking about small ensembles of basic particles.  They become less important when we get more massive objects.

Entanglement per se is not "spooky action at a distance", but quantum mechanics maintains that facts about particles do not exist until the are measured, and measuring one entangled particle creates a fact about its partner no matter how far away it has drifted.  Einstein didn't like it.  Bell said tough titties, and subsequent experiments back up Bell. The universe has quantum nonlocality and that's that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A citizen scientist validates General Relativity. Jehanne 24 2950 March 3, 2018 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  When Do Quanta Pass Through the Higgs Field? What is a Higgs Boson Before Excitation Rhondazvous 17 4909 June 28, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  How are Atoms Differentiated When Quanta are Not? Rhondazvous 5 1090 June 1, 2016 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Happy General Relativity Centennial Alex K 8 1975 November 25, 2015 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Addy Pross and the General Theory of Evolution Exian 10 4957 September 23, 2014 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  The Essential General Relativity little_monkey 6 1530 January 23, 2014 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  General Chemistry Resources? festive1 4 895 June 25, 2013 at 6:37 am
Last Post: festive1