Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Essential General Relativity
The Essential General Relativity
Just published a new blog on The Essential General Relativity. I wanted to condense a 400 page textbook on the subject in a 1 page blog. I know, that is totally crazy, but I think I managed it.

Comments would be greatly appreciated as I can edit it to make it better.
RE: The Essential General Relativity
(January 22, 2014 at 5:21 pm)little_monkey Wrote: Just published a new blog on The Essential General Relativity. I wanted to condense a 400 page textbook on the subject in a 1 page blog. I know, that is totally crazy, but I think I managed it.

Comments would be greatly appreciated as I can edit it to make it better.

I was with you right up to 'What are the equations needed to go from Newtonian Physics to General Relativity?', then my vision went foggy and the room started to spin.

I'm sure it's a wonderful article, but I had to take 'Basic Physics' (a requirement for my degree) three times before I passed.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Very nice summary! Upon first reading, apart from a few minor grammar mistakes, I have just one comment/question concerning the field equation. The special property of the einstein tensor, that it is covariantly conserved, seems only to be linked to local energy conservation once one has decided that the other side of te equation should consist of the energy momentum tensor. Before that its just *some* conserved current. In your text this order is reversed and I'm not sure whether the argument shouldnt better start with T for that reason...
(January 22, 2014 at 6:58 pm)Alex K Wrote: Very nice summary! Upon first reading, apart from a few minor grammar mistakes, I have just one comment/question concerning the field equation. The special property of the einstein tensor, that it is covariantly conserved, seems only to be linked to local energy conservation once one has decided that the other side of te equation should consist of the energy momentum tensor. Before that its just *some* conserved current. In your text this order is reversed and I'm not sure whether the argument shouldnt better start with T for that reason...

Thx. My main goal in writing that blog was to show that GR's development was a mix of brilliant insights and a few lucky guesses. Einstein developped GR between 1905 and 1915, literally from scratch. The whole concern about energy being conserved arose from applying GR to an expanding universe, not something that Einstein would have known at the time. He did though find that using only the Ricci tensor, his equations were at odds with energy conservation. He tagged on the Ricci scalar to get that. Also, initially, the theory was torsion free. Einstein tried to include the torsion tensor and linked to electromagnetism without success. That idea was reprieved later on, with the torsion tensor linked to spin. There are those who believe that a pseudotensor torsion is needed to make the theory energy conserved. But that`s another story. Big Grin
Opened page. Saw this:
(A) Gμν = 8πGc-4Tμν

Closed page.
(January 23, 2014 at 12:22 pm)ThePinsir Wrote: Opened page. Saw this:
(A) Gμν = 8πGc-4Tμν

Closed page.

A little more persistence and you would have read the three thought experiments that guided Einstein in his quest. There is little math involved, and they are quite brilliant, considering what was known at the time.
(January 23, 2014 at 12:22 pm)ThePinsir Wrote: Opened page. Saw this:
(A) Gμν = 8πGc-4Tμν

Closed page.

That's indeed all one needs to know, very efficient approach!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about General rel and quanta phys Won2blv 4 746 August 9, 2023 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  A Simple Demonstration of Space/Time Relativity Rhondazvous 14 2604 August 26, 2019 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: Vince
  A citizen scientist validates General Relativity. Jehanne 24 2959 March 3, 2018 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Happy General Relativity Centennial Alex K 8 1977 November 25, 2015 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Questions about Time, Distance, and Relativity Mudhammam 25 5295 November 11, 2014 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Addy Pross and the General Theory of Evolution Exian 10 4959 September 23, 2014 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  The Essential Quantum Mechanics little_monkey 2 999 February 21, 2014 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: little_monkey
  General Chemistry Resources? festive1 4 895 June 25, 2013 at 6:37 am
Last Post: festive1