Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
titanic gawker submersible still missing.
titanic gawker submersible still missing.
Communication with a deep sea submersible carrying 5 people who paid $250,000 each to gawk at the scene of the famous maritime disaster has been lost since sunday.    The submersible’s whereabout is unknown.

A rather impressive array of search and rescue assets, including naval anti submarine warfare assets, have been searching without results since.   It seems to me the array of assets involved is rather larger than one normally see searching for 5 lost mariners. 

it must be because the lives of those who can pay big bucks for delayed disaster tourism must ne worth more.

In reality unless the submersible is able to surface on its own, the chance of rescue would seem to be effectively zero because it would be extremely difficult to locate such a small submersible at this depth amidst the clutter of Titanic’s debris field.   And even if the submersible is located, some other submersible must be on hand to be able to dive to it with a hoist cable in tow, connect the hoisting cable to it to pull it up, because there is no rescue submersible than can reach 1/3 as deep, and in any case there is no possible way of transfers the survivors to a rescuer submersible at this depth.
RE: titanic gawker submersible still missing.
They were dead Sunday morning.

Some smart ass leading the search has said "the sub is either floating on the surface, sitting on the bottom or somewhere in between" Well that narrows it down a bit!

Even if they find the sub, what then, at those depths you can't get the people out to swim for the surface, the pressure would crush them in a fraction of a second
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(June 22, 2023 at 8:39 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Some smart ass leading the search has said "the sub is either floating on the surface, sitting on the bottom or somewhere in between"  Well that narrows it down a bit!

Even if they find the sub, what then, at those depths you can't get the people out to swim for the surface, the pressure would crush them in a fraction of a second

i think there are 2 potentially viable ways to rescue if the lost submersible is intact and occupant still alive.

1.  Deep sea submersible surfaces by dropping ballast weight.   If the maroon submersible can still drop its own ballast i5 would have done so already.     But If it can’t,   A rescue submersible may be able to help it loosen the ballast with a manipulator. 

2.  A rescue submersible may trail a hoist cable from a surface ship down 5o the missing submersible, attach the cable to the missing submersible with its menipulator, and then let the surface ship hoist it up. 

Other news said previous employee of the firm that operates the missing submersible was fired for complaining the tubular part of the submersible pressure hull, made od carbon fiber, is 2 inches thinner than expected for operation at titanic depth, that tubular carbon fiber pressure hull has not been tested for deep sea submersible pressure hull, all other manned deep sea submersible uses titanium sphere for pressure hull, and the glass viewing port is certified by its manufacturer for only pressure at 1300m, titanic rests at 4000m.    So it seems implosion around the time of communication loss is a distinct possibility.
(June 22, 2023 at 10:12 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: Other news said previous employee of the firm that operates the missing submersible was fired for complaining the tubular part of the submersible pressure hull, made od carbon fiber, is 2 inches thinner than expected for operation at titanic depth, that tubular carbon fiber pressure hull has not been tested for deep sea submersible pressure hull, all other manned deep sea submersible uses titanium sphere for pressure hull, and the glass viewing port is certified by its manufacturer for only pressure at 1300m, titanic rests at 4000m.    So it seems implosion around the time of communication loss is a distinct possibility.

While I agree that it is likely crushed -- I suspect that was the cause of loss of contact, meaning all these search efforts are useless anyway, the hull you're writing about was a different vessel than this one.

Ocean rescue is usually free to the rescued no matter who they are. Our Coast Guard has a policy of not trying to get reimbursed for rescues. It depends on the country doing the rescuing, to the best of my knowledge, but I am not a maritime lawyer.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(June 22, 2023 at 10:30 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: Ocean rescue is usually free to the rescued no matter who they are. Our Coast Guard has a policy of not trying to get reimbursed for rescues. It depends on the country doing the rescuing, to the best of my knowledge, but I am not a maritime lawyer.

Yes, but the amount of effort and assets devoted to an individual rescue effort does not seems to usually be “everything they got plus what they can corral from the navy as well”.   It seems to be scaled to the number of lives at risk and potential environmental damage involved in the crisis.
This is interesting..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tmwpE07CFE
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

apparently a debris field that might have been the submersible has been found.
the tail one of the submersible has been found, indicating implosion before the submersible reached bottom.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still pinching myself over Kamala being VP. Brian37 43 1934 June 8, 2021 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Irreligious Atheist
  how many of you think this is still about Mr Floyd? Drich 194 14783 July 6, 2020 at 1:28 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  News as surprising as another mass shooting: California ablaze again/still Whateverist 24 2447 November 18, 2018 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Racism is still strong down here Losty 15 1311 September 16, 2018 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Still Crazy After All These Years..... Minimalist 41 5301 May 31, 2018 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  America is still not great Anomalocaris 17 2844 April 17, 2018 at 11:49 am
Last Post: henryp
  West Virginia Teachers on Strike, still make sure hungry students are fed Cecelia 21 2320 February 28, 2018 at 8:51 am
Last Post: possibletarian
  Missing man found near other human remains Foxaèr 1 605 July 13, 2017 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Are atheists still the most hated minority in America? Lebneni Murtad 22 7316 March 31, 2017 at 7:40 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Georgia Still Awaits FEMA Help After Major Storm Secular Elf 0 514 January 26, 2017 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf