Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 11:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West Virginia Teachers on Strike, still make sure hungry students are fed
West Virginia Teachers on Strike, still make sure hungry students are fed
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/26/us/iyw-st...index.html

In West Virginia teachers are on strike because their wages and benefits aren't adequate.  Of course the conservatives will quickly point out that the teachers don't really care about the kids or their education, they're just selfish.  Because you know, they should have to work for slave wages because teaching isn't a 'real job' as they'll quickly tell you (and in the next breath mention they need to arm us so we can take up guns against a school shooter)

Teachers on strike do care about the students education.  Which is why they're on strike.  Imagine if they all simply left instead, going to jobs with better wages so they can support their families.  As teachers we have mortgages too.  We have children to feed, and there comes a time where it's not economically feasible to be a teacher.  Imagine these teachers leave, and have to be replaced.  Who's going to want to take the job?  Costs of living rise, and if pay doesn't rise with it, then eventually it gets to the point where you can't take care of your family.  

Of course these teachers also care about the students who go hungry, and have reduced price lunches at school.  They can't get those when schools are closed due to a strike.  So these teachers took time to make sure those students were fed. 

The strike will continue tomorrow, as schools remain closed.  Hopefully these teachers get their raises, and the benefits they need.  So new educators will be attracted to the profession, so that they can go home and feed their own families, and so that students can get the educational experience they deserve.  It's always odd how if they want to build a bomber, they have enough money.  But if a school needs computers, or teachers need raises, or schools just need more teachers, there's never quite enough money for that.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
RE: West Virginia Teachers on Strike, still make sure hungry students are fed
If only they were carrying firearms...then they would see those bonuses. 😏
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
I know very few single young/new teachers that make it more than 5 years or don't have a second job. 

There's just to many employers out there offering better money for the education.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Quote: Imagine if they all simply left instead, going to jobs with better wages so they can support their families.

That's a good question, Cecilia.  It happens a lot in Arizona.

Quote:https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/...967075001/

Quote:866 Arizona teachers have already quit this year

Quote:The Arizona School Personnel Administrators Association says 627 teachers have resigned. Another 83 never showed up and 156 flat-out abandoned their classrooms.
Can we fast track DACAs thru the teaching certificate system?

Trump is willing to allow almost 2 million to stay, but they need jobs as they age into their twenties.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

While I don't know about the specific conditions of this strike; and I'm not commenting on the merit thereof.

I do remember, reading in the Chicago Tribune about how school teachers was one of the highest paying bachelors degree's per hour. 
While I would assume, that the calculation did not include work taken home, but only hours on campus; it is an interesting figure.  I know I would love to have school teachers hours, although I am sure, that my boss would also want to adjust my pay.  Heck, I would love to be able to take a month off just one summer, and go for a nice motorcycle ride.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
Teaching seems like an easy job from the outside. I taught geometry, analysis and physics for two years. There is always prep work to be done; I also had to either set up any demonstration for physics the night before or in the morning. Since the lab was also used for art, the late-in-the-day setup time was out the window. I also was on the Grounds committee and had to do yard duty (in the Lower School- grades 1-3) two afternoons a week. Undecided   Yard duty sucked. Some of those little kids are spawn of the putative devil.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I have to wonder where you read that, RR? 

http://www.12news.com/article/news/local.../395529368

Quote:Arizona ranks dead last in teacher pay

Quote:Arizona teachers make an average salary of just over $40,000.

Of course that is an average and does not consider the starting salary.  But they do give some comparisons.

Quote:Here's some perspective: Food service managers ($55,010); retail supervisors ($40,870); mail clerks ($42,510); post office clerks ($53,010); and utility meter readers ($44,760) in Arizona have higher average salaries than teachers, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. And these jobs do not require college degrees.

Oh, and that summer you get off?

https://www.payscale.com/career-news/201...ummers-off

Quote:1. Teachers aren’t compensated for the summer months.

Even the teachers who don’t work in the summer aren’t really on vacation the way some think they are. Teachers are paid, and contracted, for the months that school is open. It’s part of the reason that teachers make less than other professionals. In other words, teachers aren’t enjoying a paid vacation in the summer; instead, they have a job that runs nine months a year.

And for the privilege you get to go get a master's degree which will drive them even further into debt.

We treat teachers like shit and then the WLB expects them to carry guns, too?  Fuck him.
(February 27, 2018 at 5:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Even the teachers who don’t work in the summer aren’t really on vacation the way some think they are. Teachers are paid, and contracted, for the months that school is open. It’s part of the reason that teachers make less than other professionals. In other words, teachers aren’t enjoying a paid vacation in the summer; instead, they have a job that runs nine months a year.

Which is why many teachers have to get summer jobs, to supplement their incomes, when they shouldn't have to if they were paid enough. No one should have to work more, essentially working one's self to death, to just to live comfortably.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(February 27, 2018 at 5:50 pm)Lutrinae Wrote:
(February 27, 2018 at 5:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Even the teachers who don’t work in the summer aren’t really on vacation the way some think they are. Teachers are paid, and contracted, for the months that school is open. It’s part of the reason that teachers make less than other professionals. In other words, teachers aren’t enjoying a paid vacation in the summer; instead, they have a job that runs nine months a year.

Which is why many teachers have to get summer jobs, to supplement their incomes, when they shouldn't have to if they were paid enough.  No one should have to work more, essentially working one's self to death, to just to live comfortably.

I disagree with this. They are paid for the contracted time. This does not mean that they are not underpaid for their contracted time.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  titanic gawker submersible still missing. Anomalocaris 54 2893 August 2, 2023 at 7:13 am
Last Post: no one
  Gog Magog civil war with the west WinterHold 37 2045 July 20, 2023 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Kanye West on Alex Jones paulpablo 391 22458 December 31, 2022 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Still pinching myself over Kamala being VP. Brian37 43 1904 June 8, 2021 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Irreligious Atheist
  Kanye West fails miserably Foxaèr 3 253 August 22, 2020 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Sal
  how many of you think this is still about Mr Floyd? Drich 194 14502 July 6, 2020 at 1:28 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  If the Fed can print an unlimited amount of money, why does anybody need to pay tax? ignoramus 12 935 April 24, 2020 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  West Virginia, WH dumbass, send him home. Brian37 42 2891 March 18, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  This time Virginia Beach 11 more Brian37 71 4399 June 3, 2019 at 4:11 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Fed Court, "hand over 8yrs of your finances" Brian37 15 998 May 22, 2019 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4