Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ritual of spicing the buried body?
Ritual of spicing the buried body?
So in Luke 23:56 & 24, we read that women "went home and prepared spices and perfumes. On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb."

But what kind of a ritual are they talking about? Why would someone dig out a dead body from a grave (or a tomb) to spread spices and perfumes on it? I guess this was done before the funeral so that the body does not stink during the funeral, but what would be the point of doing it days after the burial? And also, I gather that Jewish women would not be permitted to touch and anoint dead male bodies.

Was all this perfuming a buried corpse just a plot device so that women have some reason to go to Jesus's tomb?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Ritual of spicing the buried body?
Well, they were allowed, that is until Miriam put the gilfete fish in the incorrect orifice.
RE: Ritual of spicing the buried body?
(August 2, 2023 at 6:51 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: So in Luke 23:56 & 24, we read that women "went home and prepared spices and perfumes. On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb."

But what kind of a ritual are they talking about? Why would someone dig out a dead body from a grave (or a tomb) to spread spices and perfumes on it? I guess this was done before the funeral so that the body does not stink during the funeral, but what would be the point of doing it days after the burial? And also, I gather that Jewish women would not be permitted to touch and anoint dead male bodies.

Was all this perfuming a buried corpse just a plot device so that women have some reason to go to Jesus's tomb?

It wasn’t possible for them to do the anointing any earlier than they did. As the story goes, Jesus snuffed it on Friday afternoon. By the time he was taken down by Joseph and placed in the tomb, the Sabbath had either begun or was about to. Since no work could be done until after the Sabbath (sunset on Saturday), the soonest J’s body could be washed and marinated would have been Sunday morning.

And it wouldn’t have been necessary for them to touch him - both the washing and anointing are generally done by pouring the required products over the corpse.

And - like most religious rituals - there isn’t a practical purpose for this one. It isn’t done to prevent the stink, it’s done because it’s done.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian "Prophetess": Jesus is a hottie with a body Foxaèr 22 2669 July 13, 2018 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Joods
  Someone stole the body! Jehanne 423 44239 July 10, 2016 at 11:27 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Children to wear body Cams Around Priests zebo-the-fat 8 2353 October 30, 2014 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Matthew's attempt to counter the rumor that the disciples stole the body Barre 25 10444 December 27, 2011 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist