Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Fight Againdt Ennui
The Fight Againdt Ennui
How do you stave off the ennui and boredom?
RE: The Fight Againdt Ennui
(August 14, 2023 at 2:27 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: How do you stave off the ennui and boredom?

sex
Bacon
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Never been an issue for me. I find lots of thing to be very interesting.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 14, 2023 at 2:27 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: How do you stave off the ennui and boredom?
I went from San Diego, California to Pusan, Korea, at 12 knots (13.2 miles an hour). Always brought books with me when we did WESTPAC.
I started learning a language to deal with my feelings of ennui/boredom, and I'm so glad I did; there's always something new to learn and it's very rewarding.
I do a mixture of physical stuff (playing clarinet, renovations, weeding the garden, sometimes knitting) and mental stuff (going to university, reading, writing).

When I get tired of one type, I either switch to the other - put down the book and go out in the garden, for instance - or I stretch out on the bed for a quick nap. Most of my ennui comes from getting stuck on the Internet when it's been a busy day and my energy is ebbing. Trying to get off the computer earlier in the evening, and leave it off for the rest of the day.
First time I ever heard the word Ennui in a song.

"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I suffered from bouts of ennui throughout my school years, mostly because I was attending Catholic schools. As an indoctrinated Catholic, my life was filled with anxiety and guilt. Also, I had an overbearing tyrant of a father who was physically and mentally abusive. These periods of ennui lessened considerably after I moved out of my parents' house. The best way I had to combat ennui was to stay busy with various hobbies, mostly reading and expanding my private library.

I was able to retire at the age of 53 and haven't suffered a bout of ennui since then.
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
I am often bored. Doesn't really seem to matter what I do. Many things I've done until I didn't want to do them much anymore, and many things are only relatively amusing if I drink while doing them. I do lots of things, as much as I can within my budget, ability, and social circle, but it still never seems enough. It never seems enough. It's been like that since I was a child.

Oh well. I just keep trying new things and fighting it as best as I can.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Giving up the fight zwanzig 16 1042 February 18, 2022 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: zwanzig