Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fears that affect your life?
Fears that affect your life?
Do you have any fears, whether rational or irrational, that impact how you live your life?

Are there fears you wished you didn't have?

Have you successfully overcome any fears? How?
RE: Fears that affect your life?
The biggest fear I ever dealt with was fear of violence from my parents. The last episode of violence I was in my early 20s and it happened in front of my two daughters. Even when dad was dying, I was feeding him and apparently was too fast. He snapped at me and I backed away with the quickness. It didn't matter that we had worked through a lot and he was physically unable to hurt me anymore. It was just reflex on my part...that certain tone of voice and I went into flight mode.

Dad's been gone 14 years and I cut contact with mom about 20 years ago.

The threats were removed.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

That's a sad story. I'm sorry you had that background. I'm glad you are away from those threats.
As I've aged I have developed anxiety/fear of the unknown.

That and broken hips.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I have problems with social anxiety. I think a lot was an artifact of growing up with mental illness which meant that I avoided sharing with people when I was young.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I stopped being afraid my father would kill. He wasn't very good at it.
Losing my sight is my biggest fear.

I wish I didn’t have the constant fear that I’m going to lose control and snap the neck of the next person that tells me, ‘You only say you don’t like guacamole because you haven’t tried MY guacamole’

I lost the fear of death by living through things that should have killed me.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 26, 2023 at 10:48 am)FrustratedFool Wrote: That's a sad story.  I'm sorry you had that background.  I'm glad you are away from those threats.

Thank you.  It's something that is still a work in progress...but at least there is progress.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(August 26, 2023 at 12:47 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Losing my sight is my biggest fear.

I wish I didn’t have the constant fear that I’m going to lose control and snap the neck of the next person that tells me, ‘You only say you don’t like guacamole because you haven’t tried MY guacamole’

I lost the fear of death by living through things that should have killed me.

Boru

Losing my sight would terrify me, not sure how I would manage, also super squeamish about anything to do with my eyes (could never even think about contact lenses) Didn't help when my optician told me I was showing early signs of developing cataracts! I'm probably 10 years from needing surgury, but the idea of someone taking a scalpel to my eyes is unimaginable Diablo
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Someone once told me that they'd rather lose their sight than their hearing because you could still talk and take in information through your ears. I suppose there's some merit to that.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Could exposure to comedy affect your sense of humor? Der/die AtheistIn 23 2470 February 16, 2019 at 12:32 am
Last Post: fredd bear
  [Serious] What's Going On In Your Life Shell B 19 2121 January 7, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Shell B