Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could exposure to comedy affect your sense of humor?
Could exposure to comedy affect your sense of humor?
I like watching comedies, and I observed that I'm sort of finding them less funny. It depends on the show or movie.
I've noticed that it's become harder to laugh hysterically at comedies. There are times when I see really ridiculous stuff and only chuckling and wondering why I'm not laughing my ass of.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Could exposure to comedy affect your sense of humor?
Comedy is strange. I remember a movie called Porky's that was all the rage. Everyone thought that it was the funniest thing that they had ever seen. Now, pretty much no one thinks that movie is funny. It is embarrassing to even mention it.

I doubt that you are losing your sense of humor. You've just moved on.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
(January 19, 2019 at 8:17 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: I like watching comedies, and I observed that I'm sort of finding them less funny. It depends on the show or movie.
I've noticed that it's become harder to laugh hysterically at comedies. There are times when I see really ridiculous stuff and only chuckling and wondering why I'm not laughing my ass of.

Some people like the 'slip on a banana peel' physical comedy while others like more of a dry wit, something more subtle.  Over time it's not unusual for tastes to change...what you found funny at age 10 can be quite different from what you find funny in later years.  Some people latch onto a certain style of comedy and stay with it, others change over time.

When you watch a movie or TV show multiple times the impact of the punchline can be less because it's no longer a surprise to you.  A lot of comedy is the element of the unexpected.

IMO, comedy movies often tend to not age as well as dramas (for instance).  Comedy movies often rely on the current pop culture.  Ten or twenty years later...pop culture has changed and it just doesn't pack the same punch...it may not even make sense.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(January 19, 2019 at 8:58 am)Yonadav Wrote: Comedy is strange. I remember a movie called Porky's that was all the rage. Everyone thought that it was the funniest thing that they had ever seen. Now, pretty much no one thinks that movie is funny.  It is embarrassing to even mention it.

I feel the same way about Eric and Ernie comedies.
They seemed very funny in the seventies, now they don't even raise a smile.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(January 19, 2019 at 8:17 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: I like watching comedies, and I observed that I'm sort of finding them less funny. It depends on the show or movie.

Not unlike the Spanish Inquisition, comedy relies heavily on one thing - the element of surprise. Surprise and fear... Two things: surprise and fear. And ruthless efficiency... Three... I'll come in again. Wink

Most jokes are only funny the first time you hear/see them, afterwards your brain becomes "wise" to them. I don't know what kinds of comedies you have been watching, but considering your young age, I presume they weren't necessarily of the most sophisticated kind. A lot of teen comedies (comedy in general, really) just repeat the same jokes and gags, over and over, because most film-makers and TV producers don't have much talent, or high opinions of their audience's intelligence. And they're not exactly wrong... You're meant to grow out of those movies and shows, though a worryingly large percentage of people seem to have trouble doing that. 

I'd suggest looking for different kinds of comedies. It may take a while until you define your taste in entertainment and it will change over time, because things do become boring. Except music - nothing will ever have the emotional impact of music you'll listen to in your mid- to late- teens. So use those years wisely. Wink
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(January 19, 2019 at 8:58 am)Yonadav Wrote: Comedy is strange. I remember a movie called Porky's that was all the rage. Everyone thought that it was the funniest thing that they had ever seen. Now, pretty much no one thinks that movie is funny.  It is embarrassing to even mention it.

"Has anyone seen this prick?"
(January 19, 2019 at 9:53 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote: Not unlike the Spanish Inquisition, comedy relies heavily on one thing - the element of surprise. Surprise and fear... Two things: surprise and fear. And ruthless efficiency... Three... I'll come in again. Wink

Most jokes are only funny the first time you hear/see them, afterwards your brain becomes "wise" to them. I don't know what kinds of comedies you have been watching, but considering your young age, I presume they weren't necessarily of the most sophisticated kind. A lot of teen comedies (comedy in general, really) just repeat the same jokes and gags, over and over, because most film-makers and TV producers don't have much talent, or high opinions of their audience's intelligence. And they're not exactly wrong... You're meant to grow out of those movies and shows, though a worryingly large percentage of people seem to have trouble doing that. 

I'd suggest looking for different kinds of comedies. It may take a while until you define your taste in entertainment and it will change over time, because things do become boring. Except music - nothing will ever have the emotional impact of music you'll listen to in your mid- to late- teens. So use those years wisely. Wink

I don't usually watch teen comedies and when I do I'm expecting them not to be that great, because as you sad producers don't have a lot of talent. 
Though I get the feeling that teen comedies were better when I was younger. 
I like to watch cartoons. Children's cartoons are doing pretty great, though many of them don't have comedy as a main point. I don't watch as much adult animation, because most of it is crap or mediocre.
And when I'm looking for a good sitcom, I usually turn to Seinfeld. I'm thinking about trying Louie, but don't have time right now.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
(January 19, 2019 at 11:42 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote:
(January 19, 2019 at 9:53 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote: Not unlike the Spanish Inquisition, comedy relies heavily on one thing - the element of surprise. Surprise and fear... Two things: surprise and fear. And ruthless efficiency... Three... I'll come in again. Wink

I don't usually watch teen comedies and when I do I'm expecting them not to be that great, because as you sad producers don't have a lot of talent. 
Though I get the feeling that teen comedies were better when I was younger. 
I like to watch cartoons. Children's cartoons are doing pretty great, though many of them don't have comedy as a main point. I don't watch as much adult animation, because most of it is crap or mediocre.
And when I'm looking for a good sitcom, I usually turn to Seinfeld. I'm thinking about trying Louie, but don't have time right now.

I saw a few episodes of Seinfeild.  But as a non-New York Jew I feel constantly irritated by New York Jews. So the show was not something that I could watch on a regular basis without feeling a general sense of irritation. I had to take it in small doses, just as I do with all New Yorkers-- but especially the Jews.  Angel
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
Set and setting.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Let me think...does exposure to comedy affect my sense of humour…*fart*

Nope.  Still funny.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fears that affect your life? FrustratedFool 23 1496 August 28, 2023 at 6:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Does trying to live healthy make sense considering an imminent bird flu outbreak? FlatAssembler 92 9561 August 26, 2021 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  LIFNANO ? could it be the cure for Multiple Sclerosis ? WinterHold 5 660 January 22, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  One thing I despise about shock humor Der/die AtheistIn 7 1103 April 18, 2019 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4