Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Question about the positive things in life
Question about the positive things in life
I did not know what other sub-forum to put this in, but I guess it works in this one. If not, if it is possible to move this to the right sub-forum, please do. Now, I have a question I wish to ask all of you...

Have you ever felt that most, if not, all the positive things in life can be, or are like an illusion, or like a drug?

What I mean is things like happiness, love, good, those kinds of things. I mean, sure, they are great to have, don't get me wrong, but I think these kinds of things can be built up to become like a drug, like meth. I mean, too much love, or too much happiness can prevent people from seeing the reality of things, especially if not enough bad things happen to them. While it is not necessary or even ideal to have too many bad things happen to people as well, we, as people, need both the good and bad to balance life out, and that is a reason why we learn from our mistakes. Too much of the good things can prevent people from making the right decisions, being able to deal with situations that are bad well, those kinds of things. I personally think too much of anything good can happen to have bad results. Even if the person is not really affected by these bad results somehow, others can be affected negatively, too.

As for the illusion part, I feel that too many people in this world think everything is fine, life is good for them, nothing needs to change, nothing bad is going to happen, etc., when in what I believe to be plenty of cases, things may not be fine for those people, and they are living in an illusion, or simulation where they think things are okay. It may depend on the person, or it could be more general, but it is like people using religion to escape reality; no matter how much they try to escape it, and even if they think they have escaped it, it is always there, and affecting them in ways they don't know, hence the illusion part. Whether they are being affected negatively by this illusion or others are, there is always something they do not know, that they may not want to accept, that makes life not so great. Even if they don't suffer the consequences in their lifetime, there is a chance people's offspring may suffer those consequences later in life if they continue down the same path thinking everything is fine. It is kind of like how people believe in free will, but that, in itself, is an illusion as I am sure many of us believe.

The problem is, though, we are too inclined to want good things to happen to us, and we are too inclined, furthermore, to want to hear what we want to hear. We even have emotions that can make it hard to cope with reality and life. Thing is, even if life is not as great as we want it to be, we can still try to improve it. That said, I also think many people in this world are emotionally, morally and overall, mentally underdeveloped for these kinds of things, not seeing how too much good can be a bad thing and that some things are illusions and not what people want them to be. Thing is, reality and society is meant to, and can change, no matter how slowly, but many seem to focus on the present, or now part of time rather than waiting for the future itself. The way the human mind works is faulty, and I do not think it was, when humans came into existence, meant for a big society like we would end up having now. There is also always a trade off for good and bad; what happens to some one that is good can be bad for others, by the laws of nature, that is technically unavoidable.

With all that said, what do you all think? Can too much good of anything be a bad thing and like a drug, and can some good things people may think exist, or are existing in life in fact, an illusion?
RE: Question about the positive things in life
No. Yes. No.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
We don't need the bad, but it inevitably happens to us (and on a fairly regular basis), so I think we're prone to rationalize why it happens to us.
I think I would like a short test drive of too much good.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.etsystatic.com%2F1037...ipo=images]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Well, despite how I initially described it, it is not really an all the time thing. Too much bad is, of course, not a good thing, but in a psychological way, we may give bad more bad press than it actually is, to an extent, by not much. I mean, abuse and a hell of an extreme abuse is so not good, but I believe some bad things, maybe smaller in scope and more so dependent on what they are, can be good, if we use them to improve ourselves, that is, as in learning from them.

Not that all good can be bad, but I am a believer of balance, as in I believe we all need good and bad in our lives,,,as I described in this post, of course. I made this topic though because I feel too many people avoid bad things, while when dependent on what it is, not all bad can be bad as I believe.
(September 16, 2023 at 2:43 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: Well, despite how I initially described it, it is not really an all the time thing. Too much bad is, of course, not a good thing, but in a psychological way, we may give bad more bad press than it actually is, to an extent, by not much. I mean, abuse and a hell of an extreme abuse is so not good, but I believe some bad things, maybe smaller in scope and more so dependent on what they are, can be good, if we use them to improve ourselves, that is, as in learning from them.

Not that all good can be bad, but I am a believer of balance, as in I believe we all need good and bad in our lives,,,as I described in this post, of course. I made this topic though because I feel too many people avoid bad things, while when dependent on what it is, not all bad can be bad as I believe.

This binary language is really irritating when trying to have this conversation.

Define your terms, please. Use specific examples, please.

"People avoid things that are bad." Yeah, no duh. What are you talking about?

If it's good for you then it's not bad, right?

[Image: MV5BZTYzZmViOWYtODQwMi00MDMwLWJhZGQtOGQ3...X1000_.jpg]

(September 16, 2023 at 3:06 pm)zwanzig Wrote:
(September 16, 2023 at 2:43 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: Well, despite how I initially described it, it is not really an all the time thing. Too much bad is, of course, not a good thing, but in a psychological way, we may give bad more bad press than it actually is, to an extent, by not much. I mean, abuse and a hell of an extreme abuse is so not good, but I believe some bad things, maybe smaller in scope and more so dependent on what they are, can be good, if we use them to improve ourselves, that is, as in learning from them.

This binary language is really irritating when trying to have this conversation.

Define your terms, please. Use specific examples, please.

"People avoid things that are bad." Yeah, no duh. What are you talking about?

If it's good for you then it's not bad, right?

Very well, if that is what you want.

For one example, if you are happy with the business you own, that is good. If your business is doing good for others, that is good too.

BUT if your business is doing good for you, but is harming others (like with pollution), and you do nothing about to to keep it being good and avoid getting in trouble, that is bad, right?

Another example of good being bad is when you feel love for someone, but it is unnecessarily high and it leads you to stalk someone or even go as far as harm them to keep them with you, or loving someone to the point of dangerous obsession.

By the way, I am not saying anything I say as truth, just a bit of worry for something about humanity.
(September 16, 2023 at 3:24 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: Very well, if that is what you want.

For one example, if you are happy with the business you own, that is good. If your business is doing good for others, that is good too.

BUT if your business is doing good for you, but is harming others (like with pollution), and you do nothing about to to keep it being good and avoid getting in trouble, that is bad, right?

Another example of good being bad is when you feel love for someone, but it is unnecessarily high and it leads you to stalk someone or even go as far as harm them to keep them with you, or loving someone to the point of dangerous obsession.

By the way, I am not saying anything I say as truth, just a bit of worry for something about humanity.

Good mixed with bad?

I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm Covid-19 Positive AFTT47 12 1118 August 16, 2020 at 11:07 am
Last Post: brewer
  [Serious] The Positive Affirmations Thread Shell B 22 1655 January 20, 2019 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Shell B