Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PAIN AS THERAPY
PAIN AS THERAPY
I'm writing this in order to find out if anyone else has ever experienced something similar, or has ever even heard of it? I'm talking about nerve pain disappearing for as long as 3 or 4 days after being tattooed. I've been getting tattooed for over 20 years, and in the last 4 or 5 years now, every time I have more work done, the nerve pain in my feet and legs disappears. It's fucking awesome.

I can walk like a normal person at the store immediately afterwards, and it can last as long as 4 days before it comes back. When it does come back, and it always does, it's really bad. So why is this happening? I've talked to my doctors, even my neurologist, and they've never heard of this happening before.
Our son has tried to do some research on this, and has come up empty.

I have Idiopathic Poly Neuropathy in my feet and legs. I've had every test my doctors can think of to determine the cause of the nerve pain, and everything looks normal(except for me). Whenever I'm being tattooed, I can literally feel the pain in my feet draining away after about an hour. The arthritis pain in my knees and hips stays pretty much the same, it's just the nerve pain that's affected.

I haven't had any work done for a while, but I'm going back in jan. or feb. for more ink, and I'm looking forward to it. Being tattooed is definitely painful, and some areas are a lot worse than others, but I've never had any problems dealing with it. I think it might be the adrenaline reacting to the tattoo pain, and for whatever reason, it causes the nerve pain to disappear, or it takes it with it temporarily. 

All I know is that I'm grateful for even the temporary relief, I'll take anything I can get at this point in my life.
RE: PAIN AS THERAPY
"Pain is nature's way of telling you you ain't dead yet."

Not all that comforting.
I hadn't really thought about it, but I had a lot of work done while dealing with nerve pain after my mastectomies. Though the work was on my lower leg...the whole thing...I had some relief but figured I was just focused on the tattoo soreness for a while. It happened after each of the sessions to get the piece done.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I vaguely remember a scene from some movie. About someone who had, let's say foot pain. Another person broke the individual's finger and then said something to the effect of no longer having to worry about the foot pain.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(September 21, 2023 at 6:21 pm)MR. Macabre 666 Wrote: I'm writing this in order to find out if anyone else has ever experienced something similar, or has ever even heard of it? I'm talking about nerve pain disappearing for as long as 3 or 4 days after being tattooed. I've been getting tattooed for over 20 years, and in the last 4 or 5 years now, every time I have more work done, the nerve pain in my feet and legs disappears. It's fucking awesome.

I can walk like a normal person at the store immediately afterwards, and it can last as long as 4 days before it comes back. When it does come back, and it always does, it's really bad. So why is this happening? I've talked to my doctors, even my neurologist, and they've never heard of this happening before.

I have Idiopathic Poly Neuropathy in my feet and legs. I've had every test my doctors can think of to determine the cause of the nerve pain, and everything looks normal(except for me). Whenever I'm being tattooed, I can literally feel the pain in my feet draining away after about an hour. The arthritis pain in my knees and hips stays pretty much the same, it's just the nerve pain that's affected.

I haven't had any work done for a while, but I'm going back in jan. or feb. for more ink, and I'm looking forward to it. Being tattooed is definitely painful, and some areas are a lot worse than others, but I've never had any problems dealing with it. I think it might be the adrenaline reacting to the tattoo pain, and for whatever reason, it causes the nerve pain to disappear, or it takes it with it temporarily. 

All I know is that I'm grateful for even the temporary relief, I'll take anything I can get at this point in my life.

I haven’t had ink done in close to 30 years, so I can’t speak it directly, but, based on what you describe, it sounds like acupuncture might be worth looking into.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
My guess (and only a guess) is that the pain/tactile sensation from tattooing is inhibiting the neuropathic pain transmission. Only so many pain nerve signals can be transmitted at a time and or sensorial signals override the pain signals. It's why when you rub an area after a pain inducing trauma (i.e. a slap, a punch) the pain seems to lessen. Tactile nerve transmission are overriding some of the pain transmission. That would explain the relatively short duration of relief from the neuropathic pain that you experience. 

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/gate-...y-of-pain/
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 21, 2023 at 6:46 pm)Foxaèr Wrote: I vaguely remember a scene from some movie. About someone who had, let's say foot pain. Another person broke the individual's finger and then said something to the effect of no longer having to worry about the foot pain.
That wasn't therapy, that was dickishness. Very popular in Balboa Naval Hospital in the late '60s-early 70s.
(September 21, 2023 at 6:34 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: I hadn't really thought about it, but I had a lot of work done while dealing with nerve pain after my mastectomies.  Though the work was on my lower leg...the whole thing...I had some relief but figured I was just focused on the tattoo soreness for a while.  It happened after each of the sessions to get the piece done.

It doesn't seem to matter where the work is being done, I still get some temporary relief of the nerve pain.
(September 21, 2023 at 6:48 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(September 21, 2023 at 6:21 pm)MR. Macabre 666 Wrote: I'm writing this in order to find out if anyone else has ever experienced something similar, or has ever even heard of it? I'm talking about nerve pain disappearing for as long as 3 or 4 days after being tattooed. I've been getting tattooed for over 20 years, and in the last 4 or 5 years now, every time I have more work done, the nerve pain in my feet and legs disappears. It's fucking awesome.

I haven’t had ink done in close to 30 years, so I can’t speak it directly, but, based on what you describe, it sounds like acupuncture might be worth looking into.

Boru

I've talked to my GP about that a few times over the years, but he says the results would be temporary at best. If I'm going to be stabbed by a needle, and it's going to cost us money, I'll pick tattoo work. At least I get to keep the ink.
(September 22, 2023 at 3:05 am)MR. Macabre 666 Wrote:
(September 21, 2023 at 6:48 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I haven’t had ink done in close to 30 years, so I can’t speak it directly, but, based on what you describe, it sounds like acupuncture might be worth looking into.

Boru

I've talked to my GP about that a few times over the years, but he says the results would be temporary at best. If I'm going to be stabbed by a needle, and it's going to cost us money, I'll pick tattoo work. At least I get to keep the ink.

And the pain relief you get from tattooing is temporary. It's also a damned sight cheaper than getting inked.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Music therapy MR. Macabre 666 17 1079 December 12, 2023 at 10:25 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Chronic Pain MR. Macabre 666 13 1080 September 30, 2023 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Loneliness and the Perpetuation of Pain MarcusA 33 1737 August 30, 2023 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: A. Secular Human
  [Serious] Are you in therapy? zwanzig 50 2669 April 20, 2022 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: TheClearCleanStuff
  [Serious] Therapy please Abaddon_ire 12 1143 November 25, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  How to hide going to therapy? Der/die AtheistIn 14 1057 January 4, 2019 at 8:50 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn