Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Forgive Me if I Smack You in the Mouth!
Exclamation 
Forgive Me if I Smack You in the Mouth!
What do you do when your 2 year old son walks up to you and sees an action figure of jesus in your hand (it was a joke gift from my sister) and says to you, "thats jesus - he loves me. He saved me."
Yeah - you know he damn-sure didn't get that info from me!

My wife's parents are christians (so are mine, but they're a good distance away), so I'm pretty sure he got it from them and/or their friends. At any rate - I'm pissed to say the least, but what do you do when its your wife's family?

Does my 2YR OLD son really need to be indoctrinated with the same bullshit that I was fed when I was a toddler?! Don't parents have the RIGHT to keep religions (even popular ones) away from their children???? Ranting

Give me your thoughts if you would.
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: Forgive Me if I Smack You in the Mouth!
Hell, I had one of my inlaws flat out tell me I wasnt allowed to raise my children atheist. My wife went OFF on her.
(April 13, 2011 at 11:56 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: Hell, I had one of my inlaws flat out tell me I wasnt allowed to raise my children atheist. My wife went OFF on her.

Thankfully my wife is on my side too, but obviously she loves her parents. I believe I should have the RIGHT to say, "keep your mouth shut around my son about your silly beliefs!"
Believe it or not .... I'm not sure I do.

They are your children, do whatever the fuck you think is right (in this situation). Tell them to put a lid on religious conversations or don't see the kid. It may sound harsh, but I am that harsh when it comes to telling my kid shit I don't want him to hear. There are three things no one is allowed to talk to my kid about except me, politics, religion and sex. I get angry when anyone else does, apart from his father. I would say his biological mother too, but if she wanted a say in it, she would show up more often than a few times a year.
(April 14, 2011 at 12:13 am)Shell B Wrote: They are your children, do whatever the fuck you think is right (in this situation). Tell them to put a lid on religious conversations or don't see the kid. It may sound harsh, but I am that harsh when it comes to telling my kid shit I don't want him to hear. There are three things no one is allowed to talk to my kid about except me, politics, religion and sex. I get angry when anyone else does, apart from his father. I would say his biological mother too, but if she wanted a say in it, she would show up more often than a few times a year.

Doing whatever the fuck I think is right is actually the problem.
No. 1, I've already told them not to speak to him about jesus christ.
No. 2, If it were anyone besides my wife's parents I wouldn't even be discussing this, because I'd have already dealt with it and that person(s) would be absent from our lives.
No. 3, Im trying to figure out what "the right thing" regarding banning a parent exactly is.

It's very EASY to say Fuck You to someone you're not going to see every couple weeks for dinner.

oh and this doesn't even address the GRIEF I get from other people who tell me, quote, "you should be more concerned about your son's eternal soul." DAMNIT! Where the hell are MY rights!?!

Quote:What do you do when your 2 year old son walks up to you and sees an action figure of jesus in your hand

Somehow...pissing on it seems appropriate. I bet the kid would get the idea real quick. Then he could show that trick to grandma!

Quote:What do you do when your 2 year old son walks up to you and sees an action figure of jesus in your hand

What on earth was it doing in your hand instead of in the garbage bin?

Does your sister know you're anti religion? Is she a believer? If yes to both, it wasn't a joke; your sister was being a passive aggressive twat.

If shares your attitude,just a bit insensitive. Perhaps set fire to the figure in front of her. Devil
(April 14, 2011 at 2:02 am)padraic Wrote:

What on earth was it doing in your hand instead of in the garbage bin?

Does your sister know you're anti religion? Is she a believer? If yes to both, it wasn't a joke; your sister was being a passive aggressive twat.

If shares your attitude,just a bit insensitive. Perhaps set fire to the figure in front of her. Devil

I appreciate your sentiment, but she's cool. She actually bought the action figure as a joke so we could make fun of it on Facebook. He's got a little page called, Actionfigure MrJesus.

And besides an action figure didn't tell my son that he was there to "save him because he loves him" ... thats the work of the brainwashed parents. The image in my hand simply reminded my son of what he had been taught - AGAINST my wishes.

I really have to laugh at people who think they have the "right" to take the responsibility of raising a child from a competent parent Angel Cloud

For me......
I would correct the child and say "No sweetie this is just an action figure, like Ironman, Spiderman and [insert any other action hero here] like them he isn't real.
If I had another action-figure (like spiderman etc) I would put a halo on his head and do the same thing..."Here ya go (to 2 year old)...See? Spiderman is here to save you cos he loves you"

What you are engaged in is a passive aggressive war. Only one way to stop that...DON'T PLAY Dunno
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Blowing up at a kid is only going to make it harder for them to approach you in the future. I highly recommend Kickiga's suggestion Smile

Besides... it really doesn't matter if 'your kid' ends up religious... they are still your child. Hating them over something so small as that is kinda lame Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Straight from the Pope's mouth Foxaèr 27 1920 December 20, 2021 at 7:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  "Abused" Arch Bishop ready to "forgive" KichigaiNeko 10 3091 September 13, 2011 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Jesus wept.(if you'll forgive the expression) Oldandeasilyconfused 9 6059 January 5, 2010 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet