Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matt 1:25, not a virgin
Matt 1:25, not a virgin
The Bible seems explicit that Mary was not a virgin her whole life. So are Catholics just ignoring Matt 1:25, or did they find a loophole to believe that Mary was a perpetual virgin?

[Image: matt.png]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Matt 1:25, not a virgin
It's the supposed virgin birth that is what is revered. The miracle of becoming pregnant without benefit of a sex act with a human man is what is important to the lore.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(October 12, 2023 at 3:38 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: The Bible seems explicit that Mary was not a virgin her whole life. So are Catholics just ignoring Matt 1:25, or did they find a loophole to believe that Mary was a perpetual virgin?

[Image: matt.png]

There are other passages which explicitly state the Jesus had brothers. The Greek word used to describe them is ‘adelphoi’, which is generally taken to mean full biological brothers.

I suspect the Church clings to the ‘perpetual virginity’ nonsense it that it fits in better with the dogmas regarding original sin and both Jesus and Mary being not only sinless, but free from even the possibility of derived sin.

At least, it’s easier than the Church admitting that Mary was a normal biological female who didn’t mind the occasional game of hide-the-knockwurst.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Apparently, the interpretation St. Jerome went with is that, it would have to have two possible meanings: either the phrase “they did not have sex until she gave birth to a [firstborn] son” does not preclude Mary staying a virgin (note that even an only child is still technically a firstborn), or that this meant that Joseph would have had to have seen Mary, blood-soaked, exhausted, and covered with all the viscera and effluvia that comes from childbirth (and he gives a pretty graphic description) and decided to fuck her immediately.

No, this is not a good counter argument, but it’s what they have.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(October 12, 2023 at 4:01 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Apparently, the interpretation St. Jerome went with is that, it would have to have two possible meanings: either the phrase “they did not have sex until she gave birth to a [firstborn] son” does not preclude Mary staying a virgin (note that even an only child is still technically a firstborn), or that this meant that Joseph would have had to have seen Mary, blood-soaked, exhausted, and covered with all the viscera and effluvia that comes from childbirth (and he gives a pretty graphic description) and decided to fuck her immediately.

No, this is not a good counter argument, but it’s what they have.

Doesn’t say a lot for God’s choice of a stepfather, does it?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 12, 2023 at 3:38 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: The Bible seems explicit that Mary was not a virgin her whole life. So are Catholics just ignoring Matt 1:25, or did they find a loophole to believe that Mary was a perpetual virgin?

The author of Matthew (the actual Matthew was a tax collector, which means he went around breaking legs if you owed money) was an amateur theologian.  He had a Greek copy of Isaiah that rendered almah in 7:14 as "parthenos" which he took to mean virgin, but the whole prophesy was about events in the reign of King Ahaz way back when anyway.  Hijinks ensued.
(October 12, 2023 at 9:26 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: The author of Matthew (the actual Matthew was a tax collector, which means he went around breaking legs if you owed money) was an amateur theologian.  He had a Greek copy of Isaiah that rendered almah in 7:14 as "parthenos" which he took to mean virgin, but the whole prophesy was about events in the reign of King Ahaz way back when anyway.  Hijinks ensued.

So it seems like it is a case of theologians thinking that they know more about Jesus than the gospel writers.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I think Linux meant that the author of the Gospel of Matthew (who was most likely not the Apostle Matthew) was an amateur theologian.

And one who relied on a Greek translation of the Hebrew Scriptures that decided to translate two of the nine uses of “Almah” (which meant “young woman,” with no denotations of virginity) as “Parthenos” (which usually connotes virginity). And, surprisingly, the other seven times it’s used, it was translated as “neanis” (a Greek word that’s just a generic term for a young woman.)
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
An "amateur" theologian as opposed to today's "professional" theologians of today. But there is no professional or amateur when it comes to woo-woo.

For example, the reason why RCC proclaimed a dogma that Mary flew to heaven, instead of dying, is because a six-year-old boy, Gilles Bouhours, visited the pope in 1950 and told him that he had a vision of Mary who told him that, although it is not in the Bible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Virgin Births happen all the time?! Jehanne 11 2728 December 20, 2016 at 5:32 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Mary is not a virgin by the Bible accounts Fake Messiah 26 3815 September 30, 2016 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How thick is Matt Slick? Nihilist Virus 77 8034 June 16, 2016 at 6:51 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Matt Dillahunty v. Sye Ten Bruggencate Clueless Morgan 16 5431 June 8, 2014 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Do you think Virgin Mary was hot? Zidneya 29 14416 May 3, 2014 at 2:37 am
Last Post: Zidneya
  Virgin Mary, Ark of the Covenant Phatt Matt s 179 24893 March 27, 2014 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Virgin Births a dime a dozen xpastor 45 12986 December 20, 2013 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  The Blessed Virgin Mary -- Immaculate Deception Gooders1002 4 2636 September 21, 2012 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: genkaus
  The Great Virgin Mother Isis - Ancient Mythology is not a Cheeseburger michaelsherlock 13 7760 June 12, 2012 at 8:29 am
Last Post: michaelsherlock
  Christians - Aware you worship a virgin? theVOID 83 31833 December 20, 2009 at 12:55 am
Last Post: tackattack