Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Hiking Life
The Hiking Life
In the last couple of years I've become an avid hiker in the White Mountains of New Hampshire in the USA. Hiking is definitely phenomenology in action, and it gives me a real sense of purpose. 

Anyone else here a hiker?

[Image: 49119d1338a85c49f6f837d5c54b7e71.jpg]
RE: The Hiking Life
I like to point out that the Army walks to work while the USN goes to war with clean sheets and ice cream machines. Not a fan of walking when I can ride. The scenery IS better in the remote Great Smokies than on the Parkway.
Not me, but my boss has been on hiking trips for about half the year. Recently she did about a 350 mile hike through Minnesota and to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. That was over a month-long trek. There have been shorter ones. She seems to like New Mexico and has been out in California hiking this year as well as doing part of the Appalachian Trail. I saw that she spent a long weekend on a trail in Arkansas last week.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I try to be a hiker. Its great pt if you don’t overdo it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 8, 2023 at 5:24 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Not me, but my boss has been on hiking trips for about half the year. Recently she did about a 350 mile hike through Minnesota and to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. 

Holy shit! That's some epic hiking there. I've personally only done day hikes in the Whites. I'm envious of folks who can do winter hikes, but I probably won't be back on the trails until summer.
(November 8, 2023 at 5:50 pm)Istvan Wrote:
(November 8, 2023 at 5:24 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Not me, but my boss has been on hiking trips for about half the year. Recently she did about a 350 mile hike through Minnesota and to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. 

Holy shit! That's some epic hiking there. I've personally only done day hikes in the Whites. I'm envious of folks who can do winter hikes, but I probably won't be back on the trails until summer.

Oh, she is serious about her hiking!  A lot of what I do is fill in for her so she can make these extended trips.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Used to hike all the time in the Blue Mountains back home.

Haven't done it since I moved to this little dump.
Dying to live, living to die.
Funny story about my boss. A year or so ago she was planning a hike and decided she should get some bear spray. She was curious how far it would spray and if it was stream or mist so decided to try it out. Somehow she forgot that it's nearly always breezy, if not downright windy, in North Texas and she ended up in the blowback. Lesson learned to not spray into the wind. LOL

If you call walking thru the Sandhills hunting for game all day hiking then I guess I hiked, but that was 30 years ago.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 8, 2023 at 5:24 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Not me, but my boss has been on hiking trips for about half the year.  Recently she did about a 350 mile hike through Minnesota and to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  That was over a month-long trek.  There have been shorter ones.  She seems to like New Mexico and has been out in California hiking this year as well as doing part of the Appalachian Trail.  I saw that she spent a long weekend on a trail in Arkansas last week.

There are wolves again in New Mexico/Arizona, Mexican Greys. I helped with that when I got around better.