Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 7, 2024, 10:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Presidential age upper limit
Presidential age upper limit
The Constitution requires a President to be a minimum of 35 years old, yet has no maximum age.

Could Congress pass legislation to effect a maximum age without having to pass all the hurdles of an amendment? Would it have to be another amendment -- and if so, what do y'all think of its likelihood of passage? How would you urge your congresscritters to vote?

RE: Presidential age upper limit
I don't care what it takes to get it done, just so long as it gets done.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 12, 2024 at 1:10 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: The Constitution requires a President to be a minimum of 35 years old, yet has no maximum age.

Could Congress pass legislation to effect  a maximum age without having to pass all the hurdles of an amendment? Would it have to be another amendment -- and if so, what do y'all think of its likelihood of passage? How would you urge your congresscritters to vote?

An amendment like that would prevent the particular problem we're in now, but it wouldn't address the issues which got us here. To prevent future disasters, we'd need 1) free and fair primary elections, and 2) an honest and non-partisan press. 

Remember that four years ago in the primaries Biden was doing badly, and Harris was even worse. Bernie Sanders was polling best, especially in a hypothetical matchup with Trump. Anti-status-quo voters who went for Trump often found Sanders a better choice. 

But when it became clear that Sanders had a real chance, Democratic Party leaders circled the wagons and got his competitors (e.g. Pete What's his name) to drop out and endorse Biden, making sure that the less popular establishment candidate would win. In a free and fair election, there is a very good chance that Sanders would be President now (and he is not senile). 

Second, if the press had been honest, there would have been plenty of time to deal with an aged President. As recently as a month ago, pro-Dem media were claiming that Biden is still sharp as a tack, and even claimed that videos showing his obvious senility were deep fakes. Now the same channels are showing the same videos as evidence of his decline. So if we'd been told the truth from the beginning, there could have been real primary elections this time and a viable candidate could have been found without a panic. (Or if people had been reminded that Biden promised to serve only one term.) 

So a mentally incompetent President would have far less chance if the other problems weren't there.
What? You'd expect truth and honesty in politics?
Don't be silly!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(July 12, 2024 at 1:10 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: The Constitution requires a President to be a minimum of 35 years old, yet has no maximum age.

Could Congress pass legislation to effect  a maximum age without having to pass all the hurdles of an amendment? Would it have to be another amendment -- and if so, what do y'all think of its likelihood of passage? How would you urge your congresscritters to vote?

As much as I know about it (and I'm no expert), placing a restriction on the age of a president would have to be done via an amendment. In theory, it could be done without the congresspersons being involved at all.

I don't fancy the chances.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(July 12, 2024 at 3:36 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: What? You'd expect truth and honesty in politics?
Don't be silly!

Sad to say, I don't expect either of those things. The corruption is baked into the system at this point, and it won't get better in our lifetimes.

The sad thing is that people line up into a red team and a blue team, and they deplore the dishonesty on the other side while downplaying equal horror on their own team.

That would probably be considered age discrimination, especially by an elder congress. However I'm not opposed to having a law for independent/bipartisan mandatory psychological testing prior to running for president.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 12, 2024 at 7:39 am)brewer Wrote:

That would probably be considered age discrimination, especially by an elder congress. However I'm not opposed to having a law for independent/bipartisan mandatory psychological testing prior to running for president.

Make it a yearly requirement for candidates and sitting presidents.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(July 12, 2024 at 7:40 am)Angrboda Wrote:
(July 12, 2024 at 7:39 am)brewer Wrote: That would probably be considered age discrimination, especially by an elder congress. However I'm not opposed to having a law for independent/bipartisan mandatory psychological testing prior to running for president.

Make it a yearly requirement for candidates and sitting presidents.

With mandatory complete transparency. No hiding behind HIPPA.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
When you old, fall and break a hippa.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2024 US Presidential Election Thumpalumpacus 1880 107196 2 hours ago
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  2024 GOP hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy proposes raising voting age to 25 LinuxGal 11 1336 August 20, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Who will be next Republican presidential candidate? Fake Messiah 28 2073 June 13, 2022 at 2:49 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Biden's first Presidential adress. Brian37 11 1238 April 30, 2021 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Age of Solipsism DeistPaladin 8 1049 September 15, 2020 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Your Presidential Candidate. onlinebiker 17 2253 November 2, 2019 at 1:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What job experience would you like to see in a Presidential candidate? onlinebiker 44 3334 February 14, 2019 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  Gender reversal in the presidential debates John V 11 4504 June 3, 2017 at 7:58 am
Last Post: brewer
  Looks like Macron wins French Presidential Election easily TheRealJoeFish 30 8033 May 8, 2017 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Presidential Trump Tweets Opoponax 1 642 December 8, 2016 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist