Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gender reversal in the presidential debates
Gender reversal in the presidential debates
http://www.nyu.edu/about/news-publicatio...ersal.html

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but it's the first I saw it. Debates were recreated but with a male actor for Clinton, female for Trump. They used the debate text and studied the candidates movements, facial expressions, etc. Designers of the study expected it to demonstrate sexism, but it didn't.
RE: Gender reversal in the presidential debates
(June 2, 2017 at 9:08 am)alpha male Wrote: http://www.nyu.edu/about/news-publicatio...ersal.html

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but it's the first I saw it. Debates were recreated but with a male actor for Clinton, female for Trump. They used the debate text and studied the candidates movements, facial expressions, etc. Designers of the study expected it to demonstrate sexism, but it didn't.

I noticed that study a while ago. While I do believe sexism is both common and real, it is not always the prime culprit. Sometimes people are just foolish, asinine, or unpleasant in ways that can exaggerate underlying prejudices, even if one consciously tries to give them the benefit of the doubt. In the case of Hillary Clinton, she was just such a piss poor candidate and a truly awful and unpleasant person that even people who wanted to like her still had difficulty supporting her. In her case, sexism was a very insignificant and incidental consideration for those who did not support her.
(June 2, 2017 at 12:35 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: I noticed that study a while ago. While I do believe sexism is both common and real, it is not always the prime culprit. Sometimes people are just foolish, asinine, or unpleasant in ways that can exaggerate underlying prejudices, even if one consciously tries to give them the benefit of the doubt. In the case of Hillary Clinton, she was just such a piss poor candidate and a truly awful and unpleasant person that even people who wanted to like her still had difficulty supporting her. In her case, sexism was a very insignificant and incidental consideration for those who did not support her.

Hilary seemed alright, she was certainly compassionate and competent.
That people took against her in such a harsh way was surprising to me, the only explanation is that the US is still backwards in its views on females in power.

She didn't win because of some vague thing about her e-mails when Trump was absolutely awful in every way possible.
Racist, sexist, offensive to the disabled and just plain obnoxious. I could go on for days about how bad he is.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(June 2, 2017 at 1:43 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: She didn't win because of some vague thing about her e-mails when Trump was absolutely awful in every way possible.

YMMV. I would rather spend an evening of dinner and drinks with Trump than with Hillary.
Wow, it would be tough for me to be around Hillary and not EXCORIATE her for the lousy fucking campaign, entitlement attitude as opposed to doing the legwork to win, outspending Trump by a factor of 2 and still fucking losing, not repudiating Wasserman Shultz & Weiner (lets cauterize that SOB before he fucks up something else) & Brazile and the other Bernie Deniers in her kennel and then not fucking admit HER fucking failings when she fucking lost.

It would not be pretty.

I'd eat her dessert too.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(June 2, 2017 at 3:05 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote:
(June 2, 2017 at 1:43 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: She didn't win because of some vague thing about her e-mails when Trump was absolutely awful in every way possible.

YMMV. I would rather spend an evening of dinner and drinks with Trump than with Hillary.

You monster.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(June 3, 2017 at 2:07 am)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(June 2, 2017 at 3:05 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: YMMV. I would rather spend an evening of dinner and drinks with Trump than with Hillary.

You monster.

If course he would the two have so much in common there both insufferable  windbags
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

To each his own. Personally, I would rather be smacked in the belly with a wet fish than socialize with Trump.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I don't see a study, just some people who did a recreation with actors, and some anecdotal audience responses.

It is interesting, all the same. People were utterly turned off by the feminine traits in the male actor. So seeing a skirt alone might not be enough to trigger the sexist responses, but seeing a woman behave in a feminine way, or a man behave in a feminine way, were turn offs. Seeing a woman behave as an aggressive male worked.

How is that not sexist?
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

I'd rather spend an evening of dinner and drinks with my buddy Steve but I ain't voting Steve for President.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2024 US Presidential Election Thumpalumpacus 1037 45349 April 18, 2024 at 2:15 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Who will be next Republican presidential candidate? Fake Messiah 28 1498 June 13, 2022 at 2:49 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Biden's first Presidential adress. Brian37 11 958 April 30, 2021 at 2:33 pm
  Your Presidential Candidate. onlinebiker 17 1874 November 2, 2019 at 1:26 am
  Dem debates Brian37 48 2785 July 3, 2019 at 11:38 am
Last Post: Aegon
  What job experience would you like to see in a Presidential candidate? onlinebiker 44 2347 February 14, 2019 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  Trump fan debates 12-yo and humiliates himself Foxaèr 5 1664 June 18, 2017 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Looks like Macron wins French Presidential Election easily TheRealJoeFish 30 7511 May 8, 2017 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Presidential Trump Tweets Opoponax 1 582 December 8, 2016 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Gender Roles Athena777 53 4513 December 6, 2016 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: vorlon13