Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 7, 2024, 10:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beautiful Music and Beautiful Wood
Beautiful Music and Beautiful Wood
If you like the Blues, and like fancy wood such as that used on guitars, be sure and pay a visit here-
RIP, John Mayall
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
RE: Beautiful Music and Beautiful Wood
That is one ugly goddamned bass. I'd play it for a paycheck, I guess -- and medical insurance to cover the back-surgery.

The strange thing is it's probably not the only sort of bass I've seen of its kind. I say probably because I remembered that there was another bass made with a stupefying number of strings that actually had the range of a grand piano. That said, I just decided to look it up, and it turned out that that version only had 12 strings.

That said, I do expect to see it in action in about a month when ZZ Top plays Ravinia with The Ship of Theseus Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Thread title brought this to mind:

"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 26, 2024 at 12:06 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: The strange thing is it's probably not the only sort of bass I've seen of its kind. I say probably because I remembered that there was another bass made with a stupefying number of strings that actually had the range of a grand piano. That said, I just decided to look it up, and it turned out that that version only had 12 strings.

That said, I do expect to see it in action in about a month when ZZ Top plays Ravinia with The Ship of Theseus Lynyrd Skynyrd.

The problem with instruments of these sort is that they hog up bandwidth. If you use them to their full scope, there's very little sonic room for any other instruments. Keyboard instruments get around this by their unique ASDR envelopes, either acoustic or electronic, but stringed instruments with overlapping ranges clutter a mix and make mud, unless you're playing solo.

(July 25, 2024 at 11:38 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: That is one ugly goddamned bass. I'd play it for a paycheck, I guess -- and medical insurance to cover the back-surgery.

Agreed. If you're going to go shit crazy on strings, you can at least do it with a bit of class.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(July 26, 2024 at 12:46 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(July 26, 2024 at 12:06 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: The strange thing is it's probably not the only sort of bass I've seen of its kind. I say probably because I remembered that there was another bass made with a stupefying number of strings that actually had the range of a grand piano. That said, I just decided to look it up, and it turned out that that version only had 12 strings.

The problem with instruments of these sort is that they hog up bandwidth. If you use them to their full scope, there's very little sonic room for any other instruments. Keyboard instruments get around this by their unique ASDR envelopes, either acoustic or electronic, but stringed instruments with overlapping ranges clutter a mix and make mud, unless you're playing solo.

For what it’s worth, it seems like Garry Goodman’s 12-string bass seems to be for solo performances. Maybe accompanied by a drum kit, but not much else. When you’ve got a bass with all the range of a Bösenforfer Imperial (yes, even more than a regular 88-key piano) at your hands, one probably doesn’t need much else. Of course, maybe the Chapman Stick style he seems to use on that bass changes the ASDR envelope enough to make bandwidth less of a problem, at least if King Crimson’s any indication.

Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(July 26, 2024 at 12:10 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(July 26, 2024 at 12:46 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: The problem with instruments of these sort is that they hog up bandwidth. If you use them to their full scope, there's very little sonic room for any other instruments. Keyboard instruments get around this by their unique ASDR envelopes, either acoustic or electronic, but stringed instruments with overlapping ranges clutter a mix and make mud, unless you're playing solo.

For what it’s worth, it seems like Garry Goodman’s 12-string bass seems to be for solo performances. Maybe accompanied by a drum kit, but not much else. When you’ve got a bass with all the range of a Bösenforfer Imperial (yes, even more than a regular 88-key piano) at your hands, one probably doesn’t need much else. Of course, maybe the Chapman Stick style he seems to use on that bass changes the ASDR envelope enough to make bandwidth less of a problem, at least if King Crimson’s any indication.

It doesn't hurt that Tony Levin's a talented and sensitive musician.

(July 25, 2024 at 11:38 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: That is one ugly goddamned bass. I'd play it for a paycheck, I guess -- and medical insurance to cover the back-surgery.

Basically a hand held horizontal harp. 

I’d have a stand made. Or an exoskeleton

(July 26, 2024 at 1:30 pm)h4ym4n Wrote:

Basically a hand held horizontal harp. 

I’d have a stand made. Or an exoskeleton

Yeah, I would play it sitting down, with a leg rest, and do so tapping on the fretboard unless I really needed a thumping tone.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What kind of music? MR. Macabre 666 62 4840 October 30, 2023 at 3:21 am
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  photos that prove Afghanistan is one the most beautiful places on earth. WinterHold 71 11708 September 6, 2021 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Boru’s Insanely, Absurdly Easy Music Quiz BrianSoddingBoru4 10 779 November 7, 2020 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why I Hate Music Critics BrianSoddingBoru4 2 842 January 19, 2020 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: no one
  Christmas Music!! BrianSoddingBoru4 29 3074 December 22, 2019 at 9:06 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Music Hey guys what type of music do you like? I believe in Harry Potter 35 3607 November 16, 2019 at 3:05 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Days of the Week Music Thread brewer 7 1360 May 29, 2016 at 12:14 am
Last Post: c172
  Music Thread ErGingerbreadMandude 13 2347 August 28, 2015 at 6:42 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Best Music Videos Roxy904 23 3268 January 31, 2015 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: c172
  Most Beautiful Places in America CapnAwesome 3 1329 July 4, 2014 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus