Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:06 am

Poll: Concerning the Human Race, I think ...
This poll is closed.
We can save this planet without catastrophic loss of human life.
22.22%
4 22.22%
It's unrealistic to think that the human race will be around for even another 300 years.
11.11%
2 11.11%
The human race will come near extinction, but I'm confident that it will live on for millenias to come.
27.78%
5 27.78%
We're all screwed because humans as a whole are just too ignorant to save themselves - from themselves.
27.78%
5 27.78%
...here's my two cents ...
11.11%
2 11.11%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Human Race: Your Numbers Up
Question 
Human Race: Your Numbers Up
Maybe every species on this planet gets a limited time engagement.
Is it possible that there's just too much to fix in such a limited amount of time??
Should we accept "the inevitable" ??? ???

The following link is referencing a study that came out in 2002. I have more recently heard that 2110 to 2150 is a more likely end of resources date, but obviously it remains debateable in the scientific community.

Link
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/jul/07/research.waste

[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: Human Race: Your Numbers Up
The average species live 2 million years. We humans have 90% yet to go by the law of averages and assuming we do not leverage our technology to give us unprecedented advantages in species survival.

(April 25, 2011 at 4:29 am)Chuck Wrote: The average species live 2 million years. We humans have 90% yet to go by the law of averages and assuming we do not leverage our technology to give us unprecedented advantages in species survival.

technology has definitely helped, but when there's 10 billion people on this planet, will those technologies be enough to safegaurd our planet's resources? Some studies submit that they will not.

We can save the planet, but we won't. Why the hell should we care about the planet in the first place? It's not like we're going to be around to see it go completely to hell in our lifetimes Tongue
(April 25, 2011 at 4:37 am)Cinjin Cain Wrote: technology has definitely helped, but when there's 10 billion people on this planet, will those technologies be enough to safegaurd our planet's resources? Some studies submit that they will not.

Won't matter if a large number of humans die: they are hardly going to go extinct by overextending their bounds. Many will die. Enough will not.

Hence evolution? Sleepy
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Even if the civilization were to collapse completely due to resource depletion, it will be significant, but not really crippling setback as far as the survival of human species go. In 79000 BC, the toba catastrophe knock the entire homo sapien species down to a few thousand breeding individuals. We survived that and prospered. We are still fundamentally the same species with the same survival instinct, guile and robustness. Fall of civilization will be a humanitarian dissenter of unimaginable magnitudes. But it will not be a species survival setback anywhere near that magnitude.

A death toll of a million would be a staggering humanitarian catastrophe. A death toll of a billion would be an unimaginable humanitarian catastrophe. BBut a humanitarian catastrophe is not a species survival catastrophe. Out of a total population of 6 billion, a death toll of even 5.9 billion will not begin to endanger the survival of our species. It take a death toll of 5.99999 billion to genuinely emperile our specie's survival.
Given the apparent prosperity of small villages... even should we be reduced to some 50 individuals: it is likely that humans would survive.
The human race will become extinct sooner or later. That's fate. But I don't know the exact time frame. Technology can help, of course, but ultimately everything is limited.
(April 25, 2011 at 4:49 am)Chuck Wrote: A death toll of a million would be a staggering humanitarian catastrophe. A death toll of a billion would be an unimaginable humanitarian catastrophe. BBut a humanitarian catastrophe is not a species survival catastrophe. Out of a total population of 6 billion, a death toll of even 5.9 billion will not begin to endanger the survival of our species. It take a death toll of 5.99999 billion to genuinely emperile our specie's survival.

Point taken. However, homo sapien species didn't have to deal with a world that had been ravaged of all resources and by possible nuclear war. When people run out of food there's going to be war. Entire countries will see no worse fate than dying of starvation; so exceptional means will be taken to secure their "right to live". Thus lets say those 5.9 billion people do die as a combined result of worldwide nuclear war and lack of resources. It's very probable that the survivors of this hypothetical time are not hunter/gatherers. These people are not farmers or woodsman. These are not homo sapiens trained in the art of survival. Many of these people will have 'unlearned' those 'primitive' skills in trade for knowing how to program their Ipod. Add to that, that the world of the homo sapien no longer exists and that their is only nuclear fallout and a complete lack of resources.... maybe their odds aren't so good.

Of course, I'm only playing devil's advocate here though, cause I think it is possible that the human race will survive .... I just don't seem to be quite so sure of it as you may possibly be.

No, laws of physics as we understand them does not doom us to eventual extinction. We can survive even the entropy death of our universe. It's hard to do, but nothing says it in principle can't be done.
Nuclear war is overrated. Hugely. Bad for the environment? Sure. That bad? Far from it.

It is frankly unrealistic to suggest that most of the humans would die.

And please, there are 7 billion of us. Not 6. That was so last score.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Race and Religion and evolution. OP/ED Brian37 22 3488 January 29, 2015 at 6:15 pm
Last Post: Dystopia