Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 10:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People with Asperger's less likely to see purpose behind the events in their lives
People with Asperger's less likely to see purpose behind the events in their lives
http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/p...2010-05-29

Discuss
undefined
RE: People with Asperger's less likely to see purpose behind the events in their lives
Back when I was a union official I represented a guy with Asperger's.

He was a fucking nut.
RE: People with Asperger's less likely to see purpose behind the events in their lives
(January 5, 2011 at 12:15 am)Minimalist Wrote: Back when I was a union official I represented a guy with Asperger's.

He was a fucking nut.

How so?

undefined
In one off-duty incident he went into a pizza parlor and told the guy his pizzas were shitty. The guy grabbed him by the back of the neck and threw him out. He stumbled on to a table on the sidewalk and a passing cop saw him and thought he was disorderly. While they were arresting him he told the cop he had to take a piss so the cop walked him into an alley where he whipped out his shlong and pissed on the cop's foot.

He was overly sensitive to light and sound...to the extent that he walked around with noise suppressors on his head and when he had to use the computer ( which was part of his job) he cut up a cardboard box which he fastened to the monitor so that he could look at the screen through an eye slit which he cut. Needless to say, other employees objected!

He once demanded that the aerobic instructor in the fitness center turn off "that nigger music" that was playing on a boom box. ( That's the first time I got stuck representing this asshole.)

There was a military base nearby and he used his federal I.D. to see movies for free. That was legal. What the Marines objected to was when they played the National Anthem and his response was to stand up and shout "Hiel Hitler." They threw him out, too. ( He had a few bruises after that one.) He then proceeded to write a letter of complaint to the Marine base commander about his treatment.

Get the picture?
(January 5, 2011 at 2:30 am)Minimalist Wrote: In one off-duty incident he went into a pizza parlor and told the guy his pizzas were shitty. The guy grabbed him by the back of the neck and threw him out. He stumbled on to a table on the sidewalk and a passing cop saw him and thought he was disorderly. While they were arresting him he told the cop he had to take a piss so the cop walked him into an alley where he whipped out his shlong and pissed on the cop's foot.

He was overly sensitive to light and sound...to the extent that he walked around with noise suppressors on his head and when he had to use the computer ( which was part of his job) he cut up a cardboard box which he fastened to the monitor so that he could look at the screen through an eye slit which he cut. Needless to say, other employees objected!

He once demanded that the aerobic instructor in the fitness center turn off "that nigger music" that was playing on a boom box. ( That's the first time I got stuck representing this asshole.)

There was a military base nearby and he used his federal I.D. to see movies for free. That was legal. What the Marines objected to was when they played the National Anthem and his response was to stand up and shout "Hiel Hitler." They threw him out, too. ( He had a few bruises after that one.) He then proceeded to write a letter of complaint to the Marine base commander about his treatment.
Get the picture?

Yes I do,

Some of the issues the guy had are typical of those for people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders to varying degrees. Although this guy had huge problems with figuring out what is appropriate or not appropriate social behaviour. I wonder if he was at least recommended to see a behavioural psychologist.
undefined
He had it quite severe?
He was in his late 40's and his parents had an order of protection against him.

Our union attorney was married to a shrink....we used to say that she married one of her patients!....but after a particularly rough session with this guy he went home and discussed him with his wife. She said "he's got Aspergers Syndrome" and sent him to a web site. He later forwarded that site to us and it described this guy perfectly. It also indicated that there was no cure and only intensive therapy while the victim was still young had shown any success. He had not getten that therapy.
Minimalist Wrote:He was in his late 40's and his parents had an order of protection against him.

Our union attorney was married to a shrink....we used to say that she married one of her patients!....but after a particularly rough session with this guy he went home and discussed him with his wife. She said "he's got Aspergers Syndrome" and sent him to a web site. He later forwarded that site to us and it described this guy perfectly. It also indicated that there was no cure and only intensive therapy while the victim was still young had shown any success. He had not getten that therapy.

Yeah, well, as Christian Weston Chandler has shown us (ALL HOPE ABANDON YE WHO ENTER HERE), being on the Autistic Spectrum is no excuse for being a terrible human being. For instance, I'm on the Autistic Spectrum (specifically, I have Hyperlexia, professionally diagnosed) and I don't act like a Neo-Nazi like that guy you described did, and people tend not to notice that I have a disorder until I tell them.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
YES!! I have Asperger Syndrome, and am so glad that people can look at this and see that I'm not just one of those teenagers going through that "rebellious phase." I wholeheartedly reject belief in a deity, and will continue to reject a belief in a deity until I can see a shred of evidence. Of course I'm not going to think teleologically. I, like anyone with Asperger's, thinks realistically. (Unlike the other nuts in my Catholic school)
Trudging through endless religion one step at a time.
Rev. Rye;113040 Wrote:Yeah, well, as Christian Weston Chandler has shown us, being on the Autistic Spectrum is no excuse for being a terrible human being. For instance, I'm on the Autistic Spectrum (specifically, I have Hyperlexia, professionally diagnosed) and I don't act like a Neo-Nazi like that guy you described did, and people tend not to notice that I have a disorder until I tell them.

I think this should be highlighted in bold and beat into a great many people.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does rice milk or milk from grain-fed cows emit less methane? FlatAssembler 66 4611 April 18, 2023 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How humans & cats see things at night. Jehanne 3 642 November 1, 2022 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What less than desirable traits promote survival? Athena 34 3997 June 23, 2019 at 4:11 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Who Couldn't See This Coming? Minimalist 3 457 November 19, 2018 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: no one
  Woe unto those who depend on the bible for their knowledge of evolution Whateverist 1 550 August 7, 2018 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Transgender kids’ brains resemble their gender identity, not their biological sex Foxaèr 19 3265 May 23, 2018 at 10:06 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  How did our cells get their "information"? Sayetsu 26 3674 March 26, 2018 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  They shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks vorlon13 13 1434 December 22, 2017 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Unholy See - Giant killed scoobysnack 156 23043 June 6, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Once Again - Science Does Stuff While Religitards Read Their Silly Old Books! Minimalist 6 1175 March 8, 2016 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: vorlon13