Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Do Otherwise Intelligent People Succomb to Religion?
Why Do Otherwise Intelligent People Succomb to Religion?
The question came up and I thought it worth exploring. I put this thread in the psychology form because I’d like to discuss it from that angle rather than from religion.

Why do otherwise intelligent people fall for religion? Why doesn’t the logic and reason immediately preclude gullibility? One might ask why otherwise intelligent people scratch mosquito bites. Answer that question and you’ll be closer to answering the other.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Why Do Otherwise Intelligent People Succomb to Religion?
I would assume usually because they were indoctrinated as kids, and probably don't want to declare themselves atheist in a religiously dominated culture. Quite sad for  country that was founded on secular ideals.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Many reasons, I would assume.

Childhood indoctrination. The need for community.

I read an article a while ago - I'll try to find a link - that seems to imply that it's the more intelligent people who are likely to be drawn into cults.
Dying to live, living to die.
I think it hinges primarily on the emotions surrounding hope. Why are you sad when you go to a funeral? What questions go through your mind? Logic and reason certainly play a part, but don't discount the part emotions play in our decision making. You want to know your loved one is in a better place and not suffering, it brings comfort to you. That's emotional, not rational. I'm speaking purely about "religion" and not "belief in God" as I think the distinction is important. Einstein believed in an impersonal deity, but not religion of any kind. Religion is solely to do with doctrine associated to a deity. Religion offers answers to perhaps otherwise unanswerable questions, or answers that bring more comfort than alternatives.

Where does my baby go when she died? Religion says she is in Heaven, this indescribable place of pure joy that you are free to allow your imagination to fill. Non-religious answer says, she will slowly rot and decay in the ground or be ashes spread on the dirt or sea, nothing more. It's empty and hollow and doesn't fulfill your emotional damage with your loss.

Religion fills emotional voids. Intelligence, though it does play a factor, is not the primary reason for accepting religion.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
For the ultra religious that I know it almost seems that religion is like a drug for them. It's mentally rewarding on some level and the more they incorporate into their (and others) lives the more they get off on it.

For most that I'm around it's like the Ward Clever effect. There when they need it, gentile, guiding, comforting, soothing, rarely lets them down, something that they can count on.

For a few, it's mental torture. The whole I'm not now nor will every be worthy. Yet they continue to believe. This one I don't understand.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Looking at this topic, however, I see the word 'succumb'.

Well, is that really true ??

'Succumb' to me would imply surrendering to it and is that what we see ?? 99% of the Christians we encounter are of the slacker, scripture cherry picking variety. I wouldn't use the word 'succumb' to describe how they experience their 'faith'. I see I used the word 'slacker' above, and it seems more appropriate in describing the typical christer we encounter. I think the majority of the intelligent folks entwined in faith are doing it to appease family members, to foster business relationships, and for appearances sake.

As for these people feeling a burning desire to succumb or surrender to Jesus, I dunno, I don't think we see that very often. That they might tolerate a bit of intellectual dishonesty (or suspension) to be seen as a team player is one thing, following Jesus and his wacky, bizarre and totally impractical ideas about the poor and marriage, is quite another.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Quote:Why are you sad when you go to a funeral? What questions go through your mind?

How long am I going to be stuck here" usually tops my list.
(October 20, 2015 at 3:42 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: I think it hinges primarily on the emotions surrounding hope.  Why are you sad when you go to a funeral?  What questions go through your mind?  Logic and reason certainly play a part, but don't discount the part emotions play in our decision making.  You want to know your loved one is in a better place and not suffering, it brings comfort to you.  That's emotional, not rational.  I'm speaking purely about "religion" and not "belief in God" as I think the distinction is important.  Einstein believed in an impersonal deity, but not religion of any kind.  Religion is solely to do with doctrine associated to a deity.  Religion offers answers to perhaps otherwise unanswerable questions, or answers that bring more comfort than alternatives.

Where does my baby go when she died?  Religion says she is in Heaven, this indescribable place of pure joy that you are free to allow your imagination to fill.  Non-religious answer says, she will slowly rot and decay in the ground or be ashes spread on the dirt or sea, nothing more.  It's empty and hollow and doesn't fulfill your emotional damage with your loss.  

Religion fills emotional voids.  Intelligence, though it does play a factor, is not the primary reason for accepting religion.

you can believe that there is God and some kind of afterlife without believing in organized religion . but i do agree that religion meets an emotional need but more it is the need and the sense of security from thinking they have the mysteries of the universe all figured out . humans are naturally problem solvers and we dont like mysteries . putting everything in a neat little package is satisfying and comforting.
Imagine there's no heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today   FSM Grin   Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too Imagine all the people Living life in peace You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you will join us And the world will be as one  - John Lennon

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also  - Mark Twain
For an otherwise intelligent person who is religious it's not really a question of logic when it comes to it. It's just a matter of unquestioned ideas that were there all along. This is why it's important to identify oneself as an atheist and openly talk about it whenever asked about religious affiliations or invited to an open discussion about them. This is the kind of social exposure to rational thought that confronts dogma in people's minds and makes them doubt their own cherished albeit unjustified beliefs.
The human desire to circumvent death is the driving force behind religious belief...it always has been and always will be. The notion that we simply rot into non-existence is a hell of a pill to swallow; too disturbing and depressing for many people to even consider, let alone accept. 

So if you don't like the end of the story, why not rewrite the ending to one that suits you and makes you feel better?
People do it all the time.

Of course, that ain't the way the story really goes, but hey...

"If it makes you happy
It can't be that baaa..aa..aa..ad."
-Sheryl Crow

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intelligent Design Is Pseudoscience: Creationist Lies About Evolution Debunked CodeDNA 7 1017 April 22, 2023 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: no one
  Blind evolution or intelligent design? ignoramus 12 1960 August 2, 2017 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Directionality in evolution without intelligent guidance tantric 25 5239 January 22, 2015 at 6:19 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Intelligent Design: Irreducible Complexity? OfficerVajardian 49 12639 August 17, 2014 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  Intelligent Design triumph! Mudhammam 2 1274 July 17, 2014 at 7:05 am
Last Post: FreeTony
  Intelligent Design, Proof VI - Instincts Muslim Scholar 57 22869 October 30, 2013 at 9:45 am
Last Post: orogenicman
Lightbulb Intelligent Design, Proof V Muslim Scholar 75 44147 June 22, 2013 at 10:49 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Intelligent Design, Proof IV Muslim Scholar 97 49917 June 19, 2013 at 7:44 pm
  Intelligent Design, Proof III Muslim Scholar 61 28598 May 29, 2013 at 3:14 am
  So much for "intelligent design" KichigaiNeko 36 16256 April 23, 2013 at 9:35 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger