Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WWII
WWII
For the Good Reverend and the big Gawd Lizard. And maybe also that curmudgeon Min. And Shell, because she's a sexy historian. And apparently the Badger.

Your topic is all things WWII.

[à la Linda Richman]

Discuss!
(I'm starting it because anything I learn here will be more interesting than anything on The Psuedo-History Channel, plus Hitler inevitably will come up and I never like to miss out on a good Holocaust joke.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: WWII
Who do you think won the war?

It's obvious who lost (the Germans) but the Americans think it was their intervention that led to victory?

I'm curious as to what people think the catalystic factors were which led to the Allies winning?
Sorry for hijacking your post btw Tongue
(April 27, 2011 at 1:02 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Your topic is all things WWII.

I suck at politics and history, so here's my two cents: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=World+War+2

Aw...for shame, Rayaan...this is a learning opportunity!

I have to say, I'm much better with anything prior to the American Civil War. I lost interest in WWII almost immediately due to a teacher who was obsessed with it.

There's also an extremely annoying culture of "never forget!!" amongst ALL Jews, even the ones like my family who had pretty much all moved over before the 30's and therefore have no relatives lost to the Holocaust. By the time I was 16, I had seen enough concentration camp footage to make me puke on command.

So I'm leaving it up to Minimalist (if he chooses) and Gawdzilla to teach me something interesting, and to Revvy to make me laugh.

(April 27, 2011 at 1:14 pm)Napoleon666 Wrote: Sorry for hijacking your post btw Tongue

Nonsense - I didn't have a specific question, you asked one. It's a good opener.
(April 27, 2011 at 1:21 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Aw...for shame, Rayaan...this is a learning opportunity!

Of course it is, and the link that I posted has plenty of information on WWII, so that's a learning opportunity right there. Tongue

Anyway, let's see what some of our brighter history fans in the forum have to teach you about this topic. I can learn also as well as everyone else. WWII FTW!

(April 27, 2011 at 1:02 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: For the Good Reverend and the big Gawd Lizard. And maybe also that curmudgeon Min. And Shell, because she's a sexy historian. And apparently the Badger.

I think Pad & Zen will be interested as well.

(April 27, 2011 at 1:14 pm)Napoleon666 Wrote: Who do you think won the war?

In the actual sense, the Allies won WWII.

Nap Wrote:It's obvious who lost (the Germans) but the Americans think it was their intervention that led to victory?

Yes. The US was able to mobilse a massive military idustry, which still remains today.

Nap Wrote:I'm curious as to what people think the catalystic factors were which led to the Allies winning?

A couple include; Germany fighting on two fronts, Japan attacking the US, Hitler having cotrol of the German Military & a host of other strategic mistakes for a start.

As a point of contention, what if the Axis won WWII. What do you think the World would be like now, 66 years later?

The Russians were bled white stopping the Germans. By the time we were fully engaged we were pretty much going up against the German 4th string.

The Japanese lost the war the moment the first plane cleared the deck on the way to Pearl Harbor. Oddly, they knew they had no chance but attacked anyway. Strange thinking.
(April 27, 2011 at 1:14 pm)Napoleon666 Wrote: Who do you think won the war?

It's obvious who lost (the Germans) but the Americans think it was their intervention that led to victory?
First, no serious historian gives one country pride of place over another in the victory. At Hyperwar we seek out information from all nations to present the most complete view we can.

Second, I've had conversations with, among many others, Phillipinos who earnestly held forth that their guerrilla efforts in WWII were the primary reason Japan was defeated. And it must be true, that's what they were taught in school.
Quote:I'm curious as to what people think the catalystic factors were which led to the Allies winning?
Sorry for hijacking your post btw Tongue

The Axis was woefully unready for WWII. The German plan was originally for war to break out in 1945. Japan never had a good plan for victory, they just assumed that their victory would come because they were Japanese.
(April 27, 2011 at 1:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The Russians were bled white stopping the Germans. By the time we were fully engaged we were pretty much going up against the German 4th string.
Not actually correct. Several SS Panzer divisions, among others, were facing us. There were 95 divisions arrayed along the coast from Norway to Greece, and we fought the bulk of those. The fact that some units were in the West after being withdrawn from the East supports your position only until we realize that the units were largely rested, recently gone through refresher training, and had been re-equipped.
Quote:The Japanese lost the war the moment the first plane cleared the deck on the way to Pearl Harbor. Oddly, they knew they had no chance but attacked anyway. Strange thinking.
A few hours before that, in point of fact. The first attack on the Allies happened at Khota Baru, Malaya nearly four hours before the Kido Butai struck Pearl, IIRC.
(April 27, 2011 at 1:35 pm)ib.me.ub Wrote:
(April 27, 2011 at 1:02 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: For the Good Reverend and the big Gawd Lizard. And maybe also that curmudgeon Min. And Shell, because she's a sexy historian. And apparently the Badger.

I think Pad & Zen will be interested as well.

Zen is the Badger, but yes I did forget Pad. Sorry Pad! Of course you're welcome to add whatever you like - some of that family migration history you've accumulated would be awesome in a lot of instances.
The russian victory at kursk was the killing stroke. The germans never gained the upper hand after that.
The victory of the allies in the western sphere was due to: the weather, the russian man power, the american industrial might and english beligerence. without the last I doubt america would have been so keen to join the fight.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can We Sue Germany for WWII? InquiringMind 59 5086 September 30, 2016 at 7:13 am
Last Post: Faith No More
  Fascism won WWII reverendjeremiah 19 7268 April 1, 2011 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah