Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello Everyone
Hello Everyone
Hello
I'm Maria, 23, from Somerset, SW England. I'm a radiographer, I have a 3 year old daughter and, yes, I'm an atheist. I can't give you a heart-rending account of how I lost my religious faith because I never had any in the first place. My parents, like so many people in the UK, are what I call apatheists. I had religious education in school, of course. I enjoyed RE (what child doesn't enjoy fairy tales?) but I can't remember ever taking it seriously.
As I'm getting older I'm becoming more of an anti-theist than an atheist. Religion is increasingly getting on my nerves. For example, 26 unelected bishops sit in our parliament. That kind of anachronistic nonsense has to stop. RE will have to go too. If people really want to indoctrinate their children there are plenty of other options available. Fortunately, thanks to a recent education act, I can withdraw my daughter from RE when she starts school. But it shouldn't be in schools at all. Half our kids leave school barely able to read, write or count. They obviously need more time to learn the basics. Learning about talking snakes and burning bushes isn't needed.
We have quite a few creationist here too pushing for that nonsense to be taught in our schools. Fortunately, they are nowhere near as powerful as their counterparts in the United States, but they're still here, lingering like a bad smell.
Anyway, that's enough ranting from me.

Maria
RE: Hello Everyone
Welcome to the dark side.

BWAH HA HA !!!

Sorry, what, ummmm....

I mean, Hi from Oz.

[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Greetings Maria!

Hope you enjoy your stay!

I had RE lessons a few years ago and found them boring as fuck. The problem i had with it was that it was ran by a christian fundie who loved to play hymns whilst we worked Angry
I agree entirely that religion should only be taught in schools to students who want to learn it, i was forced to do it and if i didn't they were going to fail my fuckin' GCSE's! BASTARDS!

Anyway, i rather enjoyed your little rant, welcome to the forums Smile
Hundreds of people have been killed in the bible belt by tornados in the last two days....wonder where their fucking god is?

And hello, Maria.
Hello maria
I went on holiday to somerset over easter.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(April 28, 2011 at 11:22 am)Napoleon666 Wrote: Greetings Maria!

Hope you enjoy your stay!

I had RE lessons a few years ago and found them boring as fuck. The problem i had with it was that it was ran by a christian fundie who loved to play hymns whilst we worked Angry
I agree entirely that religion should only be taught in schools to students who want to learn it, i was forced to do it and if i didn't they were going to fail my fuckin' GCSE's! BASTARDS!

Anyway, i rather enjoyed your little rant, welcome to the forums Smile

They made RE interesting in my schools. But it still didn't do the trick in my case. I grew up to be one of those diabolical atheists wallowing in my hedonistic lifestyle. If only this was true.
Just kidding.
(April 28, 2011 at 11:26 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Hello maria
I went on holiday to somerset over easter.

Best county in England. I'm biased, of course. Where did you go in Somerset?
Welcome Maria

RE at my local HS is pretty cool, even tho' the teacher is a creationist (a very cool guy who has very stimulating convo's on morals etc... the kids love it). And the point is never to convert anyone. Yeah standards are way low. It all comes from those stupid tests and trying to make all children perform rather than actually teaching them anything /oop - too easily tempted into THAT rant! Smile

Religion out of politics... shall we form a campaign group?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzUat_wC6Ko
(April 28, 2011 at 1:39 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Welcome Maria

RE at my local HS is pretty cool, even tho' the teacher is a creationist (a very cool guy who has very stimulating convo's on morals etc... the kids love it). And the point is never to convert anyone. Yeah standards are way low. It all comes from those stupid tests and trying to make all children perform rather than actually teaching them anything /oop - too easily tempted into THAT rant! Smile

Religion out of politics... shall we form a campaign group?

Hello fr0d0.
I would like to see religion out of everything to do with the state. But that's not going to happen for a long time, if ever.
I see you're from Wales. Which part? My boyfriend is Welsh, from Newport.
Newtown, just over from Shrewsbury. Soon to be power generator for central England. I've been to Minehead a lot... you near there?
I don't see any material in your post that I can make fun of or otherwise rib the newbie Sad

Welcome one O'so difficult to mock Levitate
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Hello, everyone Rolls 21 1434 June 27, 2020 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Hello Everyone! Chicken 33 2175 December 25, 2018 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Hello Everyone :) , { Just an ape trying to socialize } Enlightened Ape 31 5649 April 24, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape
Wink Hello Everyone! rskovride 15 1904 February 21, 2018 at 5:45 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello Everyone Shai Hulud 32 7844 May 14, 2017 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Shai Hulud
  Hello Everyone! Driggs 22 2619 April 12, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: c172
  Hello everyone account_inactive 25 3864 April 12, 2017 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Hello Everyone! Flavius 9 1245 March 30, 2017 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Hello everyone Yoo 11 2384 August 29, 2016 at 12:11 pm