Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is awesome to those interested in science.
This is awesome to those interested in science.
Hopefully im not the only person who understands what this mean's or thinks its completely awesome.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/20...obe-b.html

Tell me what you think guys. Confusedhock:
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
RE: This is awesome to those interested in science.
Read this the other day and nearly high-fived my monitor I was so exited. Tongue

It's been a few years coming now, but the fact that they finally proved it conclusively is a great milestone in science(or an "epic result" as some have said). The accuracy is astounding as well, showing how advanced some technology really is.
Signature pending...
And religious fucktards everywhere ran screaming to their particular book of holy horseshit for reassurance!
Page is gone, what was it about?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
[Image: under_construction.jpg]

What was it about?
(May 10, 2011 at 5:27 am)ib.me.ub Wrote: [Image: under_construction.jpg]

What was it about?

Gravity Probe-B. Try this one: http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/20...obe-b.html

It's a bit less sensationalistic, but you still get the idea that this is a sensational confirmation of Einstein's work. Clap
Sorry the page went down, I replaced the link with the one fbm gave although its not as cool looking.

Every time I talk about this people get bored and say so what? Im like what the hell, that means everything you saw on scifi shows is possible, wormholes, bending spacetime to instantly get somewhere but their like ok? They just don't realize what it means.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
The prediction of the precession of the perihelion of mercury, the fact that GPS has to correct for gravitational time dilation, the indirect observation of gravitational waves in the Hulse-Taylor binary system and the Pound-Rebka experiment are examples of evidence supporting general relativity.
So this is not so much some kind of final, clinching piece of evidence, rather another piece to add to the pile!

Although it is the first observation of frame-dragging in which the uncertainties don't completely swamp the result (that I'm aware of..), which is pretty cool.

The really awesome thing to look out for is the detection of gravitational waves when Advanced LIGO and LISA (if that ever happens, stupid americans, cutting NASA funding!) start running.

As for wormholes, you're jumping the gun quite a bit there.
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
(May 12, 2011 at 2:46 am)lilphil1989 Wrote: So this is not so much some kind of final, clinching piece of evidence, rather another piece to add to the pile!

Oh hush you! Big Grin Party pooper.

(May 12, 2011 at 2:46 am)lilphil1989 Wrote: Although it is the first observation of frame-dragging in which the uncertainties don't completely swamp the result (that I'm aware of..), which is pretty cool.

Sometimes I idly wonder if the obesity of a certain biomass on the surface of the planet doesn't in some way affect the above...
(May 12, 2011 at 2:46 am)lilphil1989 Wrote: As for wormholes, you're jumping the gun quite a bit there.

Im not saying were actually going to locate them or use them or anything like that. Just saying it would be more likely that they are there. Anything else beyond this point is hundreds if not thousands of years in our future.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Do They fit the CMB Into those Little Ovens? Rhondazvous 16 2373 April 26, 2019 at 7:32 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  You know what's totally awesome? H-Bombs! (Operation IVY propaganda/info film) Alex K 6 877 March 8, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Snowflakes are Awesome! Rayaan 15 4104 December 18, 2012 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Rayaan
  Awesome Speculation. R-e-n-n-a-t 12 3076 June 25, 2011 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Roadkill1001