Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
William Rowe vs. Evolutionary Universalism
William Rowe vs. Evolutionary Universalism
I came across an interesting blog post which compares Rowe's evidential argument against naturalism to an anti-evolutionary argument of the same form. I think the author (Alexander Pruss) is right - both arguments fail, and the analogy between just-so stories for evolutionary explanations and just-so stories for theodical explanations holds. Whether such just-so stories, in either case, should be given, is another question.

What are your intuitions about the soundness of the two arguments being compared? Do you think that Pruss' analogy holds?
RE: William Rowe vs. Evolutionary Universalism
Never heard of Rowe's argument before, but yeah, it is a pretty bad argument. I don't see how you can get to (2) from (1). It seems a complete non-sequitur. I don't see how he can make the justification "probably" based on a lack of evidence.
RE: William Rowe vs. Evolutionary Universalism
(May 18, 2011 at 2:18 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Never heard of Rowe's argument before, but yeah, it is a pretty bad argument. I don't see how you can get to (2) from (1). It seems a complete non-sequitur. I don't see how he can make the justification "probably" based on a lack of evidence.
It is an inductive argument not a deductive one (so saying it is a non-sequitur isn't really much of a criticism, since inductive arguments are not deductively valid), and considered in the Philosophy of Religion to be pretty much the strongest currently-formulated argument against God's existence from the existence of (apparently gratuitous) evil.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  William James and Belief In Belief Mudhammam 0 619 November 2, 2016 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  William Craig's problem with actual infinities. Jehanne 11 2375 February 2, 2016 at 12:12 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The foundations of William L. Craigs "science" proven wrong? Arthur Dent 5 1290 July 25, 2014 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Rabb Allah
  Evolutionary Argument Against Naturalism: A Refutation MindForgedManacle 0 1060 November 21, 2013 at 10:22 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  So logic is just an evolutionary bi-product? Dawud 5 2499 April 20, 2013 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: Lord Privy Seal
  william l. craig justin 22 5251 March 6, 2013 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome