Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
On the Gladly Suffering of Fools
On the Gladly Suffering of Fools
I have been cursed with the look of a reasonable, "decent" gentleman (perhaps you remember that I am a College Professor?). Because of this, I am a prime target for every clown who may be trolling the streets, looking for his/her next "mark" - specifically a target for annoying attempts at converting me to their ridiculous superstitions.

In my morning subway ride, I have learned a few corners where these bozi might lurk, and avoid them like the proverbial Plague. Precautions notwithstanding, at some point I have suffered attempts to hand me a "Watchtower" pamphlet, or to get me to "know the way of the Lord Jesus". However, despite my physical appearance, I have been known to pick up and enjoy fights with old church ladies Argue; I would, for instance, answer: "Sorry. I don't believe in that crap."

One day I was waiting, with a small group, for the bus that would take us to LaGuardia Airport; a huge man walked up to us and asked: "Has anyone here NOT accepted Jesus as your savior?" Hell - I am sucker for this kind of challenge. Devil So, a youngish-looking long-haired guy and I raised our hands. As expected, the guy pounced on us, spewing quotations from the Bible in industrial quantities. Luckily for me, he mostly wanted to argue with the "hippie" (I have no hair left on my head), and he left me mostly out of the heated argument that ensued; our bus showed up within 10 minutes and I was spared the torrents of bullshit being sprayed in all directions.

My point (and I do have one) is to ask about your experiences with witnesses, missionaries and assorted buffoons, who define their goal in life as "to annoy as many civilians as possible, hoping to convert them to <insert delusion here>, in order to avoid being bored to death".

I would like to hear your opinions on what works and what doesn't.

“Millions of New Yorkers are good with God. Are you good with God?"
Poster Ad in the Staten Island Ferry terminal
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And if you are, are you also good with the Tooth Fairy? How about the Easter Bunny?"
My proposed addendum
RE: On the Gladly Suffering of Fools
I've never been an evangelist, but as an atheist I'd say that just spouting bible verses does nothing to convince me your religion is true. Same goes for people holding signs on street corners. And I've never heard of anyone being converted by seeing someone hold a sign that says, "John 3:16" and looking up that verse in the bible. Though I do have a small collection of Chick Tracts that I've been handed on the street, the arguments inside are, shall we say, less than convincing.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I find brief and forceful works. Don't engage the crap, just show the hand and look annoyed.
One of my best friends did a hillarious thing when the JW was calling on her door buzzer. For the sake of trolling she let them talk to her for a while, and when they asked: "If you could wish for one thing that would change the world, what would it be?", she answered: "Tolerance for gay people." There was a long silence, when one of them finally said: "Well.. Many people wish for peace, and this is what Jehova has to say about it.." Fortunately that was when the buzzer decided that they had spoken long enough and went silent, but she found it hillarious that they weren't better prepared for an answer like that. Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Ahaha!
Well, since Im new to Athiesim, my longing to get into a debate with a hardcore Christian or someone of reilgious perspectives will probably wear off soon, and I shall get sick of there one-sided, science lacking, mumbo-jumbo arguements, however I have decided to prolong it as long as I can.
This afternoon, after returning home from school, I find myself in the middle of one of these exact debates with the local Jevoah Witnesses who like to patrol the streets looking for 'victims'. Unfortanley, they picked the wrong house to pick on this afternoon.
After handing me a brochure, full of depressing information on how the world will end, I am asked a question by the JW, about what current reilgion I am now, and whether I would like to attend a meeting. I had a blanat answer for them:
No, I do not want to, and I am Athiest.
At this, a blank look of suprise crossed there faces before they replied with the usual nonsense of how I would not be saved, and all this other garbage. I poiletly asked them if they would like to come inside and talk about freedom of religion. They promplty ran away, telling God to save me all the way up the drive.
Well, at least they wont be knocking on my door anytime soon.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” - Stephen Roberts

Aren't there any stickers that you can stick below your door bell? Something like "I am an atheist, if you are a Jehova's withness, dont bother ringing!".
(May 26, 2011 at 7:10 am)LastPoet Wrote: Aren't there any stickers that you can stick below your door bell? Something like "I am an atheist, if you are a Jehova's withness, dont bother ringing!".

Some of my friends have put a sign on their door saying: "No ads and no religious bullshit". Keeps two kinds of trash at bay Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I had a JW stop by my house once wanting to sell me bullshit. I told him I was busy working around the house (which I was), but sent him around the block to the house of a crazy, annoying neighbor who I and the rest of the neighborhood been having problems with, telling the JW that he was in desperate need of being saved.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
The only time I ever had people from the Watchtower organisation knock on my door, I just basically said I was too busy with other stuff to talk with them.
undefined

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2101 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Scientists discover new form of matter in 2017. (The end of human suffering?) %mindless_detector% 17 5196 January 29, 2017 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  We are nothing for suffering (my story) MattMVS7 37 7083 October 8, 2014 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Anyone suffering from things they learned in the church? dsquared 67 11827 August 6, 2014 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Manowar
  The root of all pain and suffering: religion. LivingNumbers6.626 9 4060 August 3, 2014 at 12:48 am
Last Post: Cato
  Do you find meaning in suffering and death? If so, what? Mudhammam 9 2357 July 24, 2014 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Books on dealing with suffering rybak303 14 7698 April 20, 2014 at 5:54 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  End all Suffering now? you have the power. Mark 13:13 46 14181 January 11, 2013 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb